PDA

View Full Version : Fireproof box contents??

newnana
06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Okay ladies, I'm trying to start getting some control of my crazy fears of the catastrophic and the urge to protect my family by living up to the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared." In that vein, I decided that it would be a really good idea to get one of those fireproof boxes for important documents in case of flooding, fire, etc.

1. Any recommendations?

2. What do you put in it?

My list so far includes:
Birth Certificates
Marriage Certificates
Life Insurance Policies
Old car insurance card so I have the number of our home/car insurance guy
Passports?
Savings bonds and Stock Certificates (things that couldn't be replaced)

What am I missing? What is on their that I don't need? Yeah, a copy of our will would be good if we had one, but since we haven't decided who would get DD, that hasn't been done. That should come before the fireproof box, but I'm just doing what I can.

Any advice is welcome. TIA,
Michelle

BaileyBea
06-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Your Will and Living Will. I have a list of all of our credit card companies and the phone numbers to contact them. Note: Not the CC numbers just the contact info. Important contact numbers for family members and friends.

Retirement info, and all church certificates like baptism etc.

I also started to put extra CD's of family photos. I'm still working on that. But it's my goal to have all important photos scanned and put into a CD.

Good luck,

newnana
06-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Great ideas, thanks so much!

Momof3Labs
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Social Security Cards

Actually, those along with savings bonds, stock certificates, car titles, passports, other things that you rarely need (or have plenty of notice to retrieve from the bank), are IMO safest in a safe deposit box in the bank. You won't necessarily be home to rescue the fireproof box, and most boxes are only rated to a certain temperature (may not survive an all-out blaze).

newnana
06-27-2006, 03:46 PM
hmm, very good point. Heck, I'm not sure where my card is! I'll have to look into the safe deposit box idea since I haven't purchased anything yet. Thanks!
Michelle