PDA

View Full Version : Seasoned Mommy-travelers...please help!

Melanie
06-27-2006, 12:36 PM
What's your favorite carry-on bag? I don't mean the suitcase(s) with the extra day or two's worth of clothing; rather the one I'll stuff under the seat with all of the things we'll want access to at the airport and on the airplane. I'm thinking like extra baby clothes and diapers, snacks, water, toys, paper/crayons, mommystuff, light blanket, the usual. I'll be traveling with 4.5 yo Ds, 9 mo Dd and Dh.

And, as an added question: What do you put in the bag when you travel?

So far I have a Medium Timbuk2 Cargo on the way, and a huge Amy Coe tote from Target (possibly the best size/pockets but it's canvas and I don't want it thrashed). I'm looking for some more contenders. I'll probably pack them up then return whoever doesn't make the cut.

Cost is a concern, but feel free to post your spendy favorites, too.

THANK YOU!!

new_mommy25
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I always like a backpack. I use my old backpack from college which refuses to die :) . It's super sturdy, holds a ton, and has water and cell phone pouches on the outside. But I need to organize things in ziplocks to avoid the blackhole effect.

I want to buy a backpack with better organization. I've been eying the Baby Sherpa and Lands End Triple Compartment back pack. I'll probably get one of those for my next trip as I'll now be traveling with two kids :o .

new_mommy25
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
dbl post

shilo
06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
ok, well, i'll answer the second part of your question first, since i find it's more important than the actual 'bag' it's in, personally.

my 'trick' is those eagle creek pack-it cubes - i had some from pre-DS and they work _so well_ that i invested in a few more since i figure we'll get good use out of them for the next few years. i have one for each category in different colors, so if i need diaper supplies, i reach for the black one, snacks, i reach for the green, toys, the navy blue, change of clothes, the red one, etc. you could even color code by child. the quarter cubes work well for one spare outfit (onesie, pants, socks, hat, etc) and for snacks (with 2 kids, you might want 1 for each of them?). the half cube easily fits 8-10 dipes, a thin folded changing pad (i use the one from my skip hop) and a reach-in soft pack of huggies wipes (i think its about 40 wipes in a soft package with a plastic flip top lid as opposed to having to re-seal a stick on type one each time - the last set i got was from target with lion king on it). my other 'tip' would be to pack a spare shirt for yourself (and DH) as well. DS has nailed me on two different flights and i was so happy to be able to go put on a dry/clean shirt.

as far as bags go, not sure if you want an over-the-shoulder type carry-on, back pack or rolling (not suitcase sized, but carry-on sized) bag.

my favorite over the shoulders (depending on size i need) are a travel-pro duffle i've had for years (larger but still fits under the seat) and a lands end do-it-all diaper bag . best features of the travelpro bag (to look for in others) is a wide mouth opening (the kind with the double zippers running down the top so that when you open it, it is easy to see and grab what you need), end pockets for smaller things like a book and a bottle of water and a wide 'loop' of fabric that secures to the back wall of the bag that can be used to slide over the pull handle of a suitcase so that it doesn't fall off of the top while your pulling it (hope that makes sense). best features of the lands end do-it-all include the light lining for easy viewing, the super wide mouth opening and i like the organization pockets inside and outside the bag - although i wish the bottle pockets were a tiny bit deeper on the front of the bag.

my favorite small rolling bag i actually found at my local ross for super cheap. it has two large and two small zippered compartments, one of which was meant for a laptop, but i rarely use it for that now :). this was my prefered bag if i had a layover because it's easy to pull behind me while switching gates - now i probably wouldn't choose to take this if i were traveling alone with DS as it 'ties up' one hand :). my mom has the bag like this from travelsmith.com and likes it a lot.

i've also used a deuter kanga kid as my carry-on with DS, which is nice because i can carry him in it, but the 1 large main deep pocket is not super conducive to easy access for the 'stuff' you're carrying.

hth, lori

Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

mamalia
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Favorite carry-on bag: I agree, a backpack hands down. It frees up your hands and DH is also more apt to wear it. The backpack we have and love is the JanSport Air Vital in Black. Comfy, ergo straps. 3 1/2 compartments - large one for everything, medium for personals that includes key strap & mesh dividers, small one that fits snacks and is nice because it is up top. There is also a velcro front pocket that is useful for frequently accessed stuff - like a boarding pass and ids! A mesh water bottle (or sippy cup) holder. And clips on the side for attaching other bags/jackets/etc. Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/pp7rt

In the bag: Besides diapers, wipes, change of clothes, snacks, etc. Ziploc of toys & a book to be doled out. Aquaphor, Tylenol, & Saline Drops. Lots of bibs and wet napkins (or just bring lots of wipes) because of how messy it is eating on board. I also bring my boppy on board (in it's original case or a large tote). It makes it easier for DD to nurse and sleep while on the plane.

Have fun!
Malia

mik8
06-27-2006, 04:33 PM
We travelled a fair amount and the Baby Sherpa short haul was our best companion :). Sounds like you are more of a messenger type though. I think that any bag of your preference with sufficient-sized pockets both interior and exterior is beneficial in any travel. The surface material should be easily cleaned (this is a must for me).

Snacks were like an IV drip for us in lenghty plain trips, LOL! You pretty much mentioned my other recs. Crayola makes washable window markers in case your toddler wants to sit by the window. I'm not sure if travel aquadoodle will hold your Ds's attention. My DD LOVES to color, draw and "pretend" to read on those airline magazines. Oh one thing, portable DVD player was a savior for us.

Good luck!

Melanie
06-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I hadn't thought of a back pack, just because I'm a big overpacker, but I think I will bring one for Dh to wear so we can double-overpack. LOL.

I will have to look for those Eagle cubes...I'd never heard of them before!

Thanks!

fauve01
06-28-2006, 12:47 AM
a couple years ago I got the Maxx, New York Double Handle Large Dome Weekender Bag, Item #A60282, from QVC, to use as a carry on bag. to see/order it, go to qvc.com and then search for item A60282.

I LOVE it! it has been the *perfect* carry on bag. i guess the only way it could be better is if it were a back pack, but the one long strap is fine for me.

our family is a 5 hours plane ride away, and i can fit everything we need in here. i bring a complete change of clothes and extra shoes for DD and extra shirt for me, 10 diapers, wipes, desatin tube, extra lovey, noise machine, small toys (dollar store stuff/matchbox cars/magnets), crayons, stickers, coloring book, small books, compact dvd player+discs, my camera and videocamera, hand cream, my contact stuff and glasses, various odds and ends. definitely excedrin for me and motrin for DD! also a small cooler filled with snacks for DD --cooler also goes in the carry on.

btw, i should say we travel maybe 4 trips a year.

i wasn't sure if the bag would be worth the money and was half expecting to return it, but it has been a great bag for us. :-)

HTH!

Anne + DD 10-03

edited to add info and fix link.

Melanie
06-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Was it the double-handed weekender?

fauve01
06-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Yes! sorry the lnk didn't work. It's:

Item Number A60282
Maxx, New York Double Handle Large Dome Weekender Bag
for $79.00

HTH~
Anne

aliceinwonderland
06-28-2006, 04:48 PM
We try not to check anything if we can help it (for domestic flights, obviously) as it easily adds an hour to your trip.

For carry-on, we use these cheapo free small duffel (sp?) bags we got for free at a Red Sox game long ago...For some reason, they became our signature diaper bag. If you see a franzied couple with matching red sox bags at an airport near you, come and say hi :) I never bought or used a diaper bag...It really does not matter much what bag you use, IME. :)

Melanie
06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, I'm trying to decide which is worse...checking or lugging around our stuff! We'll have quite a bit as we're not staying with relatives so we need to bring all the baby stuff we'll want.