PDA

View Full Version : anybody order from Omaha Steaks???

ctmom
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
DH's grandparents anniversary is coming and we are trying to figure out what to give them. I was thinking about a gift certificate to Omaha Steaks or something similar. They are getting up there in age but still live independently, so I figured they could stock their freezer with some food in case they don't feel like getting out to the grocery store. They both love cooking and enjoy good food. I've never ordered from Omaha Steaks and was wondering about their quality. Anybody have any feedback???

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

hillview
06-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I have for 3 years for xmas for my relatives (live in FL but from Omaha). First 2 years it was great and relatives loved it. Last Christmas ordered 2 weeks before Christmas had guranteed delivery in time for holidays. The Saturday before Christmas I went to check my order with the shipping code and it said it had not left the loading dock. I called Omaha Steaks and the 3rd agent was nice (other 2 made me very angry -- no apology nothing just that they had had an error and steaks weren't going to make it in time). Manager rep said she was sorry and didn't charge me for the steaks and I asked her to call my Uncle and apologize which she did. What really got my goat is that they knew on Thursday that they wouldn't make it but didn't email or call when I would have had time to cancel order and send something else. I won't be ordering from them again.

The meat quality is excellent from what my uncle has said.
/hillary

Mommy_Again
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Quality is good, IMO. There is another company called Allen Brothers that is even better - but pricier.

maestramommy
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM
We've had steaks from there and our impression was that they're okay. They're grain fed (puzzling that they boast about it) so initially it's really good, but as the meal progresses rather grainy in texture. But it could depend on the cut you get. I think we just got top sirloin.

JTsMom
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I agree. For the price, I think the quality is ok at best. We're really picky, so maybe it's just us, but I'd look elsewhere. BTW, we tried their filets and sirloin.

BillK
06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Omaha is ok - but we prefer Kansas City Steaks - especially KC's Vidalia Onion burgers!

saleenl
06-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Consumer Reports just reviewed Omaha Steaks and others in their July issue. Lobel's (in NYC) was the only excellent rated top sirloin steak/filet mignon (I couldn't tell which, they reviewed both), but was $60/lb shipped! Same price for Allen Brothers Complete Trim, which was very good. The other two very goods were Costco 1855 Brand #950444 and Omaha Steaks Private Reserve #928XE ($42/lb) but Costco was by far the cheapest ($30/lb). I don't eat beef, so I can't comment on any personal experience.

ctmom
06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
thanks for the replys. I'll be looking into the other recs...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Sillygirl
06-28-2006, 09:39 PM
We gets lots of Omaha Steaks passed on from my in-laws (they're a popular gift from doctors to other doctors) and they're okay, but we've gotten ones just as good at the market. One food gift we've given a number of times to always RAVE reviews is LobsterGram. They specialize in seafood, obviously, but have other things as well. And you can get frozen tails if your grandparents-in-law aren't up to cooking a live lobster. We've given Lobster Grams to many members of our family and they have all raved about it.

eapoosmama
06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
We have been the receipient of Omaha Steaks on a few occassions.

It has always been a well received gift.

We have sent it too!

In addition we have sent Godiva Choc.
We like www.Wolfermans.com
and I am a big fan of cookie grams at www.sendmenoflowers.com

~MB~

kaylinsmommy2
06-29-2006, 11:05 AM
I've always wanted a LobsterGram. Thanks for the good reviews. Now I really want to try it! :) I'll have to drop some hints for my upcoming birthday. Yay!

Caroline
mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]