PDA

View Full Version : How do i keep him from constantly itching the mosquito bites?

jerzeygirl
06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
DS is 2 years old, and he's super-sensitive to mosquito bites. He must've gotten at least 8 of them last weekend in the middle of the day while he was in the back yard wearing mosquito repellant with deet. None of the other kids who were over seemed to be even mildly affected.

So now it's a week later, and he's still itching. And we keep going in this cycle. If we cover them with anything topical (calamine lotion, bacitracin, hyrocortisone, aquaphor), it works for a while but then he itches them until they bleed as soon as the stuff wears off. And it only takes a minute of not noticing before it's too late. We try to be diligent about watching him at home, but daycare isn't as good and neither are his grandparents who sometimes babysit, so we're always taking one step forward and two steps back. Long sleeve shirts help with his arms (until they roll up his sleeves for craft time!) and if we put band-aids on, the bites don't get worse, but they don't heal either. And i hate to give him benadryl all the time because that makes him drowsy. It's been over a week now, and he looks worse than when he started. =-(

Has anyone else dealt with a situation like this and found a way to help? I know part of it is that i need to give daycare a really strict set of instructions about what to reapply and when, but i don't even know what works best at this point.

ChefGirl
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
My 3 yo DS is exactly the same way. He is very allergic to mosquito bites, ant bites, etc. Then he scratches them and leave scares on his bodies. Ugh, I'm so frustated that we finally got a mosquito system for our backyard. It's really bad in Texas. I sometimes cover them up with bandaids. I even give him Bendadryl if the bites get swollen. I wouldn't mind hearing some other solutions.

schums
06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I have two suggestions. First, use meat tenderizers without salt (mixed with water to make a paste) and put it on the bite. This works best if you do it within a couple hours of getting the bite. My neighbor (who is allergic to mosquito bites) and my brother (who just gets TONS of them since he won't wear repellent) swear by this. It supposedly makes the bites go completely away within 24 hours. Second, if you can't do the meat tenderizer thing, get some AfterBite (http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/camping2/afterbite.htm). It comes in a pen-looking tube and takes the itch out of mosquito bites almost immediately. I have some in my diaper bag and in every bathroom in the house. I found it in our local supermarket with the bug repellent and other anti-itch stuff.

Good luck -- bites stink!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

amyff
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
My girlfriend just told me to get SssstingStop from the healthfood store.
http://www.mysimon.com/Skin-Care/9000-10955_8-0.html?mlpid=30593196

She swears it works and it is safe for ages 2 and over!