PDA

View Full Version : OT: Random question: skincare questions...

aliceinwonderland
06-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Do you use toner( before moisturiser) What kind? For some reason I think I should...Also, what's your favorite day moisturiser?? I think I have (finally!) the night time one settled, I just don't think my skin is happy during the day--esp. with the mineral make up which I find drying.

Many thanks :)

bostonsmama
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
I hardly use toner anymore. Many beauty authors question how good it is for you skin (many included ingredients cause inflammation, such as menthol, alcohol, etc) and that it's redundant to a good facial wash and bi weekly exfoliation. That said, I still have some leftover Clinique "Clarifying Lotion 2," which is toner. It's a little strong, so I only use it if I'm oily. When I was young I used witch hazel, which was nice.

Fav moisturizer is Clinique's Moisture Surge Extra for Thirsty Skin (it's a pink gel and goes on so smooth). It's oil free (which I need b/c I'm breakout prone otherwise), but I love it under BM in the winter (which is when I'm most dry). Otherwise, I live in the south where it's hot and humid, so other than oil free sunscreen, I don't put much else on.

Larissa

Baseline appt July 25th! Tentative retrieval ~Aug 10th, transfer ~8/13 or 15

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

brittone2
06-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I've heard the same thing as Larissa about toner...a lot of experts say it probably isn't needed at all, and can be overly drying, etc. for a lot of people.

I find mineral makeup *very* drying for my skin, but I still like it. It took some playing around with my skin routine to find a good combo. I do the "oil cleansing method" (you can google this) and just use coconut oil to wash my face (yes, sounds totally ineffective and gross but it is a great makeup remover, the coconunt oil is very moisturizing, and oil dissolves oil so it cleans out your pores pretty well). I steam my face a little w/ a washcloth after, and then lightly dab on a little more coconut oil. I swore it would make my skin terrible but it does so much better with the coconut oil!!! Some people use just plain olive oil, some use a combo of olive and castor, some use a few drops of jojoba. The key is finding an oil that works well for your skin...it took me a few tries.

I recently ran out of my coconut oil and switched over to a product I used previously, and my skin just looks dull and dry. I only used it for about 3 days but I could totally see a difference when not using it.

If you don't want to go w/ the oil cleansing route, maybe you'll need a heavier moisturizer. You can moisturize before putting on mineral makeup, but you have to give it a few mins to sink in before putting on makeup so it doesn't slide off your face ;) Also, I use a damp brush application method for minerals (I think I read about it on a mineral makeup forum). I spritz my brush to just get it a tiny bit damp, then swirl in the makeup and apply. It takes some tweaking but it works better for my skin than the more traditional dry buffing method.

I hope you find something that works for you!!!

aliceinwonderland
06-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I generally use the oil cleansing method ;) when I have time, and also use an oil-based home made concotion for night time, alternating with a Retinol product.

I dislike using the oil thing for during the day, it'd ruin my work clothes (as I am so sloppy) and I shine in the sun :)

I have been a fan of coconut oil for a long time, use it for my hair periodically as well.

I was wondering if something like green or white tea or apple cider vinegar would work as a toner...I have tried the CLinique ones and like you and Larissa say, I find them harsh.

Thanks.

brittone2
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
I think on MDC I've read about people using diluted vinegar as a toner. There is some sort of "acid mantle" layer on the face and the vinegar solution supposedly helps restore the pH. I'm not sure how true it is but it won't cost much, and you can always make salad dressing if it doesn't work out :P

CharmedOne
06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
I actually read here that you can use apple cider vinegar as a toner. I don't remember if it was diluted with water or just straight up vinegar. I think Eileen (mudder17) uses it as a toner. You can always use it as a hair rinse as well.

I've been experimenting with OCM as well. It's the only cleansing method that actually helps my super oily skin. I have been using Olay Complete for years but it doesn't jive well with OCM. I still haven't found a moisturizer that works with mineral makeup (I need the extra SPF protection during the day). Now I just need to find something that helps with my acne too. I'll be watching this thread.

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif

TaChapm
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM
I have to do different things for my skin at different times. While pregnant I am more prone to bad breakouts so I use serious skin care cleanser and Mary Kay's Blemish control toner to keep things under control.

When I am not pregnant (like I can even remember) :) I use Mary Kay's 3 in 1 Cleanser for oily skin (they have a normal one as well). It is suppose to cleanse, tone and exfoliate all in one step. I use the Day solution during the day which provides light moisturization and SPF and the Night solution during the night. During the dry winter months I also use an oil free hydrating gel at night. They have a moisturizer to go with the set but I think it breaks my skin out so I don't use it. If I need extra moisture I use the Hydrating Gel.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
Baby Jaci...Due September 5, 2006!

http://b4.lilypie.com/gzWfm8.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/UEZ3m8.png

jerseygirl07067
06-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I recently stopped using toner and started using those mineral water sprays instead, under my moisturizer. It works well since you spritz it on, then the moisturizer seals it in. Evian makes one, but right now I'm using one made by La Roche Posay. It has selenium, which is supposed to be soothing to the skin. I made the switch to try the less is more approach.

If you need moisture though, some toners can provide some moisture and not be drying. Check out www.cosmeticscop.com. Her toners are very good, they are gentle, alcohol free, and have water binding ingredients and antioxidants in them.

My favorite moisturizers that I use as needed are Cetaphil Lotion for when I want something no frills, Aveeno Ultra Calming when I need moisture but am not really dry, and Dove Sensitive Essentials lotion. They make one with and without SPF. The Dove is good, is contains the three ingredients that maintain a good skin barrier, cholesterol, ceramides, and fatty acids. I've also heard good things about Cerave, which you can get at Walgreens.

I'm not a huge cosmetic counter fan, since I think the stuff is overpriced and they never want to give samples it seems. That bothers me. If I want to splurge, I like to shop at skinstore.com.

However since it's summer, I don't need to use moisturzer as much since by sunscreen gives me a lot of moisture. I've been using a sunscreen called La Roche Posay Anthelios XL which is very protective against the UVA rays (aging) rays. It contains mexoryl, a good UVA blocker not yet available in the US, so I get it online. I live in FL and am outdoors a lot, so those moisturizers with SPF just don't cut it for me. :)

Sorry to ramble on...I just love this topic!

Marcy

aliceinwonderland
06-29-2006, 04:11 PM
www.feelbest.com huh?? :)

I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger on the La Roche Posay SPF 60 one...What's the spray thing called, it sounds good? I want to wait till August since I'll be in Europe and can save on Canadian shipping, but then, what would the point be??

jerseygirl07067
06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I order my sunscreen from getcanadiandrugs.com. The spring water is called La Roche Posay Thermal water. You can get it at skinstore.com too I think. There's another good one from Avene that's really good too, and if you live in the northeast, you may be able to find a CVS that carries it. For a store locator, go to aveneusa.com.

Yes, I've heard of feelbest.com. Supposed to be a good site I think.
If you're going to Europe you can stock up on all the Euro sunscreens and not pay the ridiculous shipping. :) Though getcanadiandrugs.com has a flat 9.99 shipping, so if you order more, it's worth it.

Marcy

JMS
06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Just to throw out a different opinion on toner, I really think it's essential in my daily skincare routine. But I do think you have to find the right toner for your skin.
I have been using Murad's Hydrating Toner for years (it's the only Murad product I use). I was told that a toner should be used to balance your pH and should not contain alcohol. I used to always have a small breakout area somewhere on my face and I really think that using toner has been the essential force behind my now, almost always clear skin. Oh, and I really have to plug Cetaphil also.. LOVE IT and I'm a (mostly highend) skincare junkie !
http://www.murad.com/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10177

HTH!