PDA

View Full Version : Lands' End Swim Minis

hudsonam
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Does anyone have one of these? Do you find that it does a good job of covering the butt/hip area, or does it just look like you're trying to hide something? My husband doesn't want me to get one because he thinks it's too "old lady," but I told him, these thighs are not what they used to be, and I no longer get to lay out in the sun if we go to the beach, so it's not like I can even get a tan on them to help them look better. :P I might as well cover things up and feel comfy running around after a toddler.

Of course the color suit I already got doesn't have a matching swim mini. :(

kelly ann
06-30-2006, 10:21 AM
It really depends on your body shape. I am quite tall and long waisted. Therefore, it didn't really provide that much coverage, stopped at my widest point, and made me look heavier. I really thought that it accentuated my hips since I don't have heavy legs from the mid-thigh down...made them look like toothpicks.

IMHO, it looks goos if everything is still in pretty good proportions and you are not too tall that it doesn't fall low enough. For me, it just added more to the hip area.

I ended up with a Miracle Suit that is great at keeping everything in place. I picked it up at a great price from TJ Maxx. Good luck with the search.

ETA: If you want to add some color to your legs, you can try that Jergens Natural Glow lotion. It is so easy and you don't get all that messy color from self tanners all over your hands.

shilo
06-30-2006, 12:43 PM
i picked up their beach living cover up mini and regular bottoms this year with two of thier tankini tops, figuring i could wear the suit with or without the cover up mini (it's made of the same swimsuit material). it is the best looking suit out of any i tried at about 6 stores (i picked mine up at Sears, since they carry a pretty large selection (but not even half when you take into account all of the colors) LE suits. i am opposite of the pp, i am short waisted and petite, but carry my weight in my low hips/thighs (pretty classic pear shape). this suit is so much more flattering for my body type than the wrap around pareo's and other cover-ups/shorts-bottomed suits i've tried in the past. i think their 'mini' look is fresh and young and not at all the type of suits my geriatric patients would wear swimming (my maternity bloussoun style suit came much closer to that - LOL).

anyway, i am looking forward to chasing my 15month old up and down the beach in this thing in august - which is a HUGE relief after stressing out so much about finding a swim suit i could face wearing for our upcoming vacation.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

hudsonam
06-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the insights! I just went to Sears, and while they had a pretty pathetic selection left, I was able to try a Faille swim mini which was very cute, and also try the larger size in the bottoms to make sure I did in fact need to exchange the ones I got for an 8. I am going to order a few more to try, and hopefully I'll find a couple pieces that I can mix and match.

Thanks again!

dules
06-30-2006, 01:06 PM
I got the faille swim mini and high-neck top and really like them - well, as much as I could like a bathing suit, lol. I wore them in the yard yesterday with DD in and out of the wading pool and they were very comfy, sort of like a tank and shorts/skort, didn't feel like a bathing suit, and everything stayed covered. :)

Best,
Mary

lmintzer
06-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I just ordered the Faille swim mini and lingerie top. I'm also waiting to try out the hipster bottoms (they should arrive today). I like the swim mini a lot. I'm short and also short-waisted and think it's flattering. It covers the tops of my thighs which are my most-hated body part. I don't think it looks "old" but it's definitely not a skimpy string bikini like the late teens/ealry 20s crowd wears. I just don't think I could (or would want to) pull that look off anymore.

american_mama
06-30-2006, 01:09 PM
As I wrote in a thread about a month ago, in May, I ordered about 13 suits from landsend.com, picked one, and returned all the rest for free to Sears with no problems. lmintzer is also (still?) going through a search for a landend suit (doubtless due to me egging her on... "Just try as many as you like!")

Anyway, the only skirt bottom I tried on was the polka dot three in one tankini (came with regular bottoms, halter top, and matching cover up skirt). It was the only suit that was a little small across my thighs and I thought drew attention rather than diminishing. I did not try the faille swim skirt and wish I had.

On their website, they also have swim skorts, swim shorts (with and without built in panty), and many, many suits. I am now getting plagued with their catalogs in the mail, but I have yet to see the suit I bought modeled in a catalog (a blue floral slender suit that is on their website). SO for best selection, go to the website.

hudsonam
06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks all! I just reorded almost $800 worth of suits to try! :-O I can't wait to get them! I hope I get some pieces that I can mix and match.

wolverine2
07-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I just got a beach living swim mini and love it. I have a faille suit from a few years ago... one complaint I have about that fabric is that it is much thicker than the beach living fabric and therefore doesn't dry as quickly and I have ended up feeling clammy and uncomfortable because my suit feels heavy and damp. I'm looking forward to the other fabric this summer which will dry more quickly.

Carrie
DS 10/04
^i^ 4/06

AddiesMom
07-01-2006, 06:16 AM
OMG!!!!! I just went to Sears this week (one with a new prototype LE shop in it) and the selection was picked over, but found just enough to try on and was able to order the rest from the store. The faille swim mini is AWESOME! So great I went right to my mom's house and tried it on for her so show her how slimming it is on, and the skirt lays flat so doesn't look old lady-ish. Not frilly at all. I can't believe I spent over $200 on 4 pieces, but with swim classes starting and a few vacations planned I needed to do something. All of my swimsuits from my honeymoon are 1-2 sizes too small!

I got the candy pink faille swim mini with the matching high-neck top, the pink flowered faille mini with the flowered halter top. All 4 pieces match so I can mix them up and get 4 different looks. The high-neck top actually gives a very athletic look when paired with the mini.

Size- I normally a 14 on the bottom, a 12-14 on the top and 5'9". I ended up with a 16 swim mini, 16 high-neck top and a 14 halter top. I probably could have fit in the 14 mini, but I really didn't want to draw any attention to my pudge belly! The 14 high neck top fit, but was drawing attention to my mid-area so went up a size.