PDA

View Full Version : Good pizza on Long Island?

Globetrotter
06-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm visiting some relatives here and wondering if anyone lives in this area and could give me recos for good pizza. They are no use because, despite living here, they prefer Pizza Hut!!!! Don't ask.

Kris

elliput
06-30-2006, 08:49 PM
They must be from Kansas. ;-)

almostamom
06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Umm, anywhere that isn't a chain. ;) Have a calzone for me while you're there. I'm so jealous! Seriously, I moved from NY when I was in kindergarten so I know I'm no help, but my 89 year old grandmother still swears she hasn't had good pizza since she left Brooklyn.

~Linda~
http://lilypie.com/pic/060427/fDdc.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/qW3mm7.png

Globetrotter
06-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Every time I mentioned pizza, they mentioned Pizza hut. I told them I couldn't believe they could live in this pizza mecca and eat that stuff LOL

Twins2000
06-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Where on LI are you visiting? There are TONS of good pizza places here.

Leslie

mama2galpals
06-30-2006, 10:51 PM
there are so many. i used to live out there but my favorite that we would drive a bit for was fra amichi or something like that in massapequa.

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

the truth may hurt your feelings, but lies will break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

Marisa6826
06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
LOL-

I'll trade you one pizza for one bottle of Parachute :P

-m

Where in Long Island?

jerseygirl07067
06-30-2006, 11:44 PM
OMG!! Chain pizza?? I couldn't imagine such a thing growing up in NJ and eating pizzeria pizza all the time. All my friends down here call me a pizza snob because I won't touch the chain stuff. DH's family (who are 100% Italian by the way) order from Hungry Howies, a chain. I can't believe it! And his mom makes fun of anyone that makes italian food using jarred sauce. Doesn't make sense!!

No advice, since I don't live in LI, but I had to chime in. I love good pizza! We go every friday to a local place in town. Heaven.....

Marcy

Globetrotter
06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Hicksville (hmmm... could that explain it?)

But seriously, this is a GREAT place. Loads of Indian salons for henna, and they have an IKEA, Tuesday Morning and H & M in their neighborhood mall, and Century 21 within a few minutes drive!

Globetrotter
06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
As long as it's not Pizza Hut, sure!

ETA: We do eat other chain pizza (gasp) but I only eat the PH stuff when we're at the airport and there is no choice.

Marisa6826
07-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Well, according to Zagat:

Umberto's in New Hyde Park is supposed to rock. It is a brick oven pizza place. www.originalumbertos.com

Buttera's in Woodbury (there are a few different locations) is another. www.buteras.com

Massa's in Huntington also got good reviews - brick oven, coal fired. No website, but here's the addy:

146 W. Jericho Tpke.
(Pinetree Rd.)
Huntington, NY 11743
631-935-0200

And last, but not least, you can NEVER go wrong with Grimaldi's in Garden City. Any of the Grimaldi's is amazing - there are a few of them, but boy, their pizza kicks!

980 Franklin Ave.
(bet. 9th & 10th Sts.)
Garden City, NY 11530
516-294-6565
www.grimaldisrestaurant.com

Have fun

-m

deenass
07-01-2006, 03:05 AM
Wel,, I grew up in Massapequa (not too far from Hicksville) and two favorites were Dee's Pizza (ate lunch there EVERY DAY in HS!) and Carmela's, both are on Merrick Road.

Oh man ... don't forget to get a chocolate italian ice!

octmom
07-01-2006, 05:28 AM
I grew up on LI and ate at Umberto's all the time as a kid. My parents were big fans. We were there about a year ago, before my parents moved, and had yummy brick oven pizza. That said, there are tons of yummy pizzerias all over on LI. One of the only things I miss-- pizzerias and really good little delis with Boar's Head cold cuts everywhere. There were two of each within a few blocks of my house growing up. The Italian deli about a mile away in Franklin Square was even better. My relatives from Georgia always stocked up on pepperoni whenever they visited.

We lived in Garden City South, but I have never had Grimaldi's. Based on the address, it is not too far from Roosevelt Field. Definitely go shopping there if you head to Grimaldi's for pizza!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

kochh2
07-01-2006, 07:11 AM
mmmmmm.... I miss Long Island Pizza too... AND< DELI ICED TEAS!!! anybody else have a daily craving for the biggest styrofoam cup full of the yummiest iced tea ever?? ooooh, Makes me want to hop on the ferry and pick one up right now!!

Hicksville is not too close to my old stomping grounds, but i'm sure the Pp recommendations will rock!! but do try to find a good deli while you are there, it's soooo worth it!!
:)H

MarisaSF
07-01-2006, 03:21 PM
There are several places in Huntington that I crave. Many of my friends and I are partial to DiRaimo's. My dad's fave is Little Vincents. Southdown Pizza used to be good and popular, but I haven't been there in a long time. Might still be good.

Basically anything that isn't a chain, though Sbarro can quench an urge if you're desperate. :)

Globetrotter
07-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Thank you! I read the recommendations and we got pizza from Umbertos. I loved it!! Fresh toppings and the crust was perfect and crisp, even. Aaaahhhhh, now if only we could get this stuff in the Bay Area!

The funny thing is, they didn't like it LOL

I will upload this list to my palm pilot for future reference, since we come here once a year, generally.

Kris

octmom
07-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Yay! I'm glad you got some good NY pizza. DH is on his way to pick up the best VA pizza I know of right now. :) Fresh basil and roasted red peppers heading my way-- yum!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Twins2000
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Hey! You're talking about my stomping ground!!! We get pizza from Di Raimo's a lot!! Southdown used to be great, but it hasn't been the same since the SIL took over the business. Jimmy's Pizza is pretty good as well!