PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a get well gift

saschalicks
07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
My FIL called last night that he got his test results back and he has some form of Leukemia. I don't know what form but apparently it's very curable. He's going on Wednesday to get hooked up for out-patient medication. DH & I are drowning in bills so spending a lot of money is out. Can you ladies give me a thoughtful inexpensive get well gift. We are already sending pictures of the kids, but we want to send something *cheerful* to the house the day he gets hooked up. Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, we are 2,000 miles away from him, so unfortunately we can't go see him and we can't afford it right now.

On a side note: I don't love my FIL, he's not my favorite person, however, I realize that this is still DH's father so I want to come up with something for DH's sake more then my own. I hope this makes sense.

deenass
07-06-2006, 04:34 PM
how about a book to read while he's recovering?

Jen841
07-06-2006, 06:25 PM
What about daily/weekly pictures of the kids? We send "Friday Pictures" to Grandma. Every Friday I send them to her Walmart and she picks them up with her prepaid card.

Send some snacks? He may require prepacked items, nothing homemade.

Blockbuster giftcard for a few movies?

Will he play games or do Suduko(sp?) Crosswords? Cards?

What about a book on card tricks he can teach himself to do with your child?

Sorry, stressful day. These ideas are all over the place.

kijip
07-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I would reccommend dvd rentals or books. My mother has been battling leukemia and lung cancer for years and frankly, her lifeline is her TV and her LARGE assortment of books and magazines. Also, if you are ever near by a hand with helping clean up can be welcome. Some of the treatments make you very tired.

I hope everything goes well!