PDA

View Full Version : Mothers who have survived colic please help me

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Kate cries almost constantly unless she is asleep. She appears to have mild reflux for which doctor recommended Malox and we are also giving her gas drops. ( she is on soy formula) I am carrying her in the Mei Tai and that does seem to settle her down sometimes. Her swing also sometimes makes her a little calmer. We are using the miracle blanket religiously. She often sounds like she is in intense pain, although the dr says she is not. Please give me ideas on what else I can do. I would love to hear from you if you have had a child with colic. When did it stop? It is so frustrating to not be able to help her.

Here I think she is crying because she does not like her new hat.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/goodtastenomoney/IMG_1562.jpg

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

lilycat88
07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
We didn't deal with it but a good friend of mine did. Holding her son and bouncing up and down on one of those exercise balls helped her son. She just held him but I would think that holding in a sling would work as well. It was a good leg and core workout too :-)

Hope it gets better soon!

firstbaby
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Okay, the picture and your comment made me laugh.

But, I feel for you mama! The constant crying has to be exhausting. DS had colic but a very mild "case" in comparison. Have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? Some of it *sounds* a little hokey but it has great tips for calming and soothing your child. I always joke that the book saved my marriage because it really helped quickly calm down the baby!

emilys_mom
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Try "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Karp. Seriously, you don't have to read the whole book, there's a cheat sheet in the middle. I never understood how or why it worked (or even figured out the cause of her crying) but it made her quit. She would just quit and look around while I was doing it. Thank goodness my ped. recommended it. I seriously thought I would lose my mind some days.

lmintzer
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Oh, I've SOO been there! It's so incredibly hard.

My strongest recommendation is for white noise (in combination with the Miracle Blanket). Experiment with what works. The hairdryer (on a cool setting) worked magic for Jack. Eventually, we were able to reduce the sound and switch over to a white noise machine.

I really hope Kate starts to do better soon--colic is so incredibly hard on parents. And you have two little ones--the only other suggestion I can make is get help!! Seriously. Pay for babysitting if you don't have family who can help. You need to be able to step away from it. It certainly will not harm her in any way if she doesn't have mama for an hour or two here and there. It will do you a world of good to be able to take a break, get a pedicure, have a cup of coffee in silence, etc.

Best wishes for quiet days to come!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Yikes, I threw my copy out after Nick was so easy. He was my bait and switch baby. I will have to go to get another. Honestly am afraid to leave her with a sitter. she is such a handful and I worry about someone doing the uthinkable while she is in this stage.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

BillK
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Zach was incredibly fussy/colicy (out ped said colic is a 5 letter word for "I don't know") - our ped diagnosed it as reflux (without the spitting up) and prescribed Zantac - which he was on from about 3 or 4 months old to about 13 months (it's all a blur now but I'll ask my wife she'll remember the exact dates). Made a huge difference for him. Our doc recommended we try to taper it off at various times - and it was very obvious that those times were too soon until we did it again around 13 months.

bubbaray
07-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Another vote for Dr. Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block. However, you're probably so tired & stressed, I don't recommend the book at this point. Go straight to the DVD. It ROCKS! Seriously, I think I would have run down the street screaming by 8w if it weren't for that DVD. There are 5 S's, of which I can only remember sucking (paci, d/n work for us), shhhing, swaddling & swinging. Our swing was worth its weight in gold for DD!!!

I seem to recall it got a lot better around 8w, significantly better by 10w. Hang in there.

BTW, adorable hat! :)

Good luck!
Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

phirey
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Susan,

DD#1 had just plain colic, which we thought was bad until we survived DD#2! She spent the first four months of her life upright, looking backwards over my shoulder in "burp position." We diagnosed it quite quickly, at like 3 weeks. First we tried Zantac, because most insurers require that kids fail on it before they'll advance to Prevacid. We also used Mylanta (orange creme flavor).

If you pop over to feeding forum and do a search, you might find a lot of helpful advice.

We swaddled, rocked, shhhhhhed, bought an expensive glider, kept her in a Bjorn, in a sling, let her sleep on her belly, let her sleep on our chests. She screamed through car rides, in the vibrating seat, while nursing, sometimes she even screamed while sleeping! We were at our wits' end. Her upper GI showed only mild reflux, but if that was mild, well...

It's clear she's unhappy. Although her age is just past the "peak" of colic age and all babies have normal fussiness, I would insist that your doctor escalate things. First an Rx for Zantac and/or Prevacid, possibly an Upper GI (painless Xray) and possibly a referral to a Pediatric GI. There are soooooo many more steps your Dr. could be taking to help her through this.

Are you nursing at all? If so, consider cutting out dairy. If not, I think you should definitely switch formulas. Try Nestle Good Start first -- many moms have better luck with that because of whatever they do to make "comfort proteins." I would take a good look at the bottles. Some sweat by Dr. Browns but they're made of the "bad" plastic, plus a total PITA to clean. We had a lot of success with the Playtex Nursers. Can't say enough about them. The Vent-Airs also reduce colic with a totally different mechanism. Look at them both before you shell out the big bucks for Dr. Browns...

Then again, maybe wearing what's clearly a winter hat in summer might be the cause. :)

HTH!

Rachels
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
I agree-- Dr. Sears says to think of the colicky baby as the hurting baby. I know proper reflux treatment made an enormous, ENORMOUS difference for Abby. See another doctor. Insist that someone help her. You might also try a hypoallergenic formula. Food allergies were the most significant part of Abby's reflux and discomfort; she was a vastly happier child within three days when we adjusted what she was getting exposed to.

And take very good care of yourself, mama. Hot baths with earplugs, walks around the block, tearful phone calls while someone else snuggles her. Really.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

nov04
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
You've received great suggestions. Just thought I'd throw in our experience just in case it actually helped because there seem to be so many causes for "colic".

dd started screaming at 4w and escalated until 12w when we finally switched her formula to lactose free and started to infant massage on her belly nightly to release the huge amount of gas she built up. (eta: we'd tried so many possibilities until we found what worked for us.) We also found putting gas drops right into her formula much more useful than giving directly to her.

I hope everything gets better soon.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Then again, maybe wearing what's clearly a winter hat in summer might be the cause.

Thanks for the much needed laugh!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

spanannie
07-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I found that it got better around 4 mos. Everything was a blur until then.

The things that helped us were: swaddling, Amby bed, and the cradle swing. If it weren't for the Amby bed, I would have always had to hold her for her to sleep. Grace was so colicky that I couldn't even set her down in the hospital. She was such an anxious baby, that I thought that she just might be anxious by nature, but that is not the case at all.

I feel for you, Susan; I completely relate. That was a really hard time for me.

Many hugs!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 09:56 PM
It sounds like we are doing the Happiest Baby steps already.

Tomorrow I am going to call my ped (again) and ask him about the Zantac and the possibility of doing an xray. If he is not responsive I will find someone who is.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Rachel , thanks for the advice, I can tell you have REALLY BTDT.
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

lizajane
07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
two friends went through this...

try allimentum formula and zantac. changed my tiny friend anna's life. she is 7 months now and SO sweet (until her reflux was irritated by a vomit-virus).

hang in there. 4 months is when the big switch comes- at least for the 3 colic babes i have known.

also- the hairdryer. my mom burned out two when my brother was screaming.

lilycat88
07-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Want mine? My father-in-law's wife decided that a slew of parenting books was a perfect Christmas present last year. This from a woman who has raised her three grandchildren because her own daughters turned out to be such losers. Evidently, she didn't ever actually read any parenting books herself. So, out of protest and indignation, I put them on a shelf and never cracked one open.

Seriously, I'll pop it in the mail if you want another copy.

lmintzer
07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Liza--we burned out at least one. DH used to call it "old sparky".

From what I understand, there's really a lot of debate about what colic is. The more old-school view (that rings true to me) was that it was GI distress. Other views are that it is some form of neurological immaturity in which babies are overly sensitive to their environments and easily overstimlated (thus explaining why white noise helps--it basically "overpowers" them, though not in a cruel way, and allows them to turn inward and sleep or relax). However, the truth is that no one really knows. Colic isn't associated with later anxiety in kids. However, it may be associated with sleep problems in older infants (due to habituation to the methods parents use to soothe them when colicky). The advice we were given was to do what we needed to do to get through those first 4 months and then deal with sleep problems later.

Of course, reflux is a medical problem and if that is causing crying needs to be treated. But I see it as important to separate reflux (and other medical problems) from colic. I do not believe them to be one and the same.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-06-2006, 11:01 PM
You've got mail.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

jennifer13
07-06-2006, 11:07 PM
We used to joke that our DD #2 was screaming like someone was sticking her with pins. You've received great advice, but I would just add that you might not find any reason or explanation, or anything that makes a big difference. The search for what's "really" going on can reach a feverish pitch -- at least that was true for me, I was so desperate for relief. But then, right around 12 weeks, it turned off like a light switch. And, she has grown into a delightful toddler, although still with an intense temperment, but tons of smiles and a great attitude.

The other thing is that our colicky baby did great the few times we left her with a babysitter. So definitely consider a brief outing for your sanity. I had felt the same way, that there was no way I could leave her with someone else- I felt sorry for the other person! But each time it went fine, so definitely think about that for you own sake.

One more thing that worked for us: she slept the first few months in her bouncy seat- being upright seemed to help her tummy.

Good luck and hang in there! It's awful but you will get through it.
Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03
and Leah 3/24/05

american_mama
07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
>>>Yikes, I threw my copy out after Nick was so easy. He was my bait and switch baby. I will have to go to get another.

Gee, I know you'll try anything, but I don't think a third baby will help things. :) insert smiley

;-) Hope it gets better soon.

BarbieSmith
07-07-2006, 06:33 AM
This helped us too! Good luck sweetie - and remember this *IS* light at the end of the tunnel - it WILL end - just hang in there until then :)

http://lilypie.com/pic/060616/jxZr.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/Hz6Zm4.png

www.SmithAngels.com - we want to adopt again! :)

juliasmom05
07-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Hugs to you Susan. It's tough, but I am glad to see that you still have a sense of humor. DD cried all the time as well. We tried Zantac and eliminating dairy but that did not really seem to help. The things that worked for us (or at least stopped the crying for a period of time) were walking her facing out, stoller rides and white noise. You are already carrying her, but maybe a different view may help. I have to agree with pp, the hair dryer really saved my sanity (or at least what's left of it). It was amazing. As soon as we turned it on, she would instantly stop crying and fall asleep. Burned one hairdryer out, and finally bought a hair dryer CD . The best $20 I ever spent. To this day, she still takes her naps with the CD on. Although I still think reflux may have contributed, I think alot of it was that she was overstimulated and like dummies we kept trying to entertain her instead of just giving her some quiet time. Try different white noises to see if they will calm Kate. For us, it is only the hairdryer. We tried the vacuum cleaner and it didn't work, just made her more upset. I also think at times, DD just needed to cry. And she cried as if she was so angry, kicking and pounding. Although walking her around stopped her crying as soon as we stopped or sat down, she started to cry again. It seemed like we were just prolonging the inevitable. So, there were many times, that I would just sit with her and let her cry on my shoulder until she fell asleep. Not a great way to make a Mama feel good about herself, but at least it got her to sleep.

Hang in there. It does end.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

nicoleandjackson
07-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Ohhh, BIG (((HUGS))) mama--I just had flashbacks to Jackson's colic from your description. I'm still on Lexapro 4 years later from the ordeal!

You've gotten some great advice from the PPs--one question, though: is Kate on soy for the reflux, or because of a suspected lactose intolerance? When Jack was 6 wks., we went from reg. formula to Good Start (helped for 2 wks., then colic symptoms returned), then our ped. started him on Nutramigen. I swear that within 2 days his crying dropped to half (so, that would be 12 hours instead of 24 :)). That stuff is *crazy expensive* but I got it by the case at BRU.

We also tried the Mylicon (didn't work) and Zantac (did not see a significant improvement) but didn't push it further. I was also a mad woman on a quest for the "perfect paci"--Jack would only calm down if he was sucking on my or DH's pinky finger, so I literally searched for a paci that was the same shape (went with the old-school Playtex non-ortho shape, of which I still have SIXTEEN left if you want to try one...)

Other suggestions: movement really helped for Jack, like car rides, swing (when he was closer to 3 mos. propped up w/tons of rolled-up receiving blankets), rocking in a football hold, swinging side-to-side in a nursing position (like he was orbiting me, LOL)

It all came to a screeching halt when he was just over 5 mos. old--literally he woke up one morning a new baby. He was an absolute ANGEL from then on out and is the most mellow, laid-back, kid you would ever want to meet. Until he turned 3. But that's another thread for the BP.

Good luck, mama. I hope you find a solution that works for Kate.

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

Marisa6826
07-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Susan-

I have to run out the door, so sorry if this is abrupt.

Have you tried Gripe Water? That stuff was my saving grace for both girls.

-m

cchavez
07-07-2006, 08:25 AM
With Diego (now 3)...he got less fussy over time but was always kind of fussy....turns out he has a sensory disorder so maybe that was it w. him. Mia (now 6 months) the crying really did decrease significantly at 4 months.......She is a pretty sweet baby now just not the best nite time sleeper.......Anyway, check out the book, "Your Fussy Baby" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth...it was really helpful w/ Mia. The HAppiest baby on the block w/ helpful w/ Diego but not as much w/ Mia. Switching formulas did n't make much difference for us but my kids were also never diagnosed w/ reflux. I have had friends swear by nutrimagen/alimentan. One things for sure, it will get better!!!!

Moneypenny
07-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm sorry you're going through this. DD was very mild mannered but both my nephew and a freind's daughter had terrible colic. My friend swore by car-rides - they nearly lived in the car for 4 months. Also, he and his wife would each take 4-hour shifts at night so they could each get at least a solid 4 hours of sleep. For my nephew, Prevacid was key. His ped also insisted he didn't have reflux or if he did, it was just mild, but after a few days on Prevacid he was a totally different baby. It really made all the difference for him.

One other tip which you may have tried: I've never met a baby who didn't immediately calm down when you held them laying face down on your forearm with their head at your elbow and their legs at your hands. Dr. Sears has a name for this hold, which I'm forgetting, but something about the ability to look around, the pressure on the tummy, whatever, seems to be very calming. There were a couple of months where DD wouldn't be held any other way.

Good luck!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

octmom
07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
>One other tip which you may have tried: I've never met a baby
>who didn't immediately calm down when you held them laying
>face down on your forearm with their head at your elbow and
>their legs at your hands. Dr. Sears has a name for this hold,
>which I'm forgetting, but something about the ability to look
>around, the pressure on the tummy, whatever, seems to be very
>calming. There were a couple of months where DD wouldn't be
>held any other way.

No idea what Dr. Sears calls it, but it was the "Superman hold" in our house and we used it all the time with Sean when he was little. It worked like magic most of the time. (Not at his Baptism, whcih is why he was baptised upside down, but I think he was just indignant about wearing a long white gown.) We haven't needed it as much with Katie, but it has done the trick when nothing else would.

Even though she is crying, Kate looks adorable in her hat. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
DD, Katie 3/06

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

jenmcadams
07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
This might be too late -- but definitely do the DVD -- don't bother with the book :)

JTsMom
07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Big hugs. Jason would cry every night, almost constantly, from about 4:30 until 11:30 or 12. What worked depended on the royal prince's mood at any given moment. Here are some things we did:

Sitting in the tub with him for hours on end. This worked almost every single time, especially in dim light. Baby bathtub wouldn't work- had to be the big bath, and the water had to be pretty warm. Of course that would be harder to pull of w/ an older child, but it might be good for desperate times.

The big yoga ball was my hero. I would sit on it and bounce him for hours. He'd often fall asleep.

Sometimes I'd play my hypnobirthing CD for him (that was all it was good for) ;) It had plinky music that he seemed to like. He also liked ocean waves and jazz. Music soothes the savage beast- I mean baby.

One time, in desperation, after trying everything else, I figured out that if I sat on the toilet (lid down), layed him on my crossed legs and jiggled pretty rapidly, nursed him, with the lights off, the bathtub water running full blast, and the exhaust fan on, he'd go to sleep. Yes, I'm serious. I combined a bunch of ideas from Happiest Baby to come up with that combo if you're wondering.

The swing- ahhhhh the swing. That was the only way he'd nap. My one nephew liked to sleep in his infant seat. I think some just do much better snuggled up and upright like that.

Things got better for us at around 10 or 11 weeks if I remember correctly. Hang in there.

saschalicks
07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
When we switched to Soy his colic got WORSE not better, then we switched to the pre-digested stuff (Alimentum from Similac) and things got better. This was with #1. However, his colic was still there, but a little better.

With #2 we started out on Alimentum as per the docs recommendation. DS#2 was on Prilosec and it seemed to take the edge off of what I thought was obvious pain (he was only on it through the 4th month). What made a real difference was a pouch. He liked to nap in there and seemed to stay calmer when there. I know you said you use an MT but have you thought of a pouch sling? I had a Hotsling, but I know there are many out there that are great. I think DS#2 was in that about 12-18 hours a day. My back hurting was a minor inconvenience when I didn't hear the crying. :)

Hang in there it too shall pass. I suffered with both boys and now #1 doesn't want to even hug me (he's 2 though). And #2 is content just sucking his toes. :D

mommytoC
07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Colic can just be colic (which was the case for us)...but I would definitely agree with ruling out (or ruling in) reflux or allergy. If Kate isn't better within a few days to a week of starting Zantac (or something similar), I would seriously consider a trial of Nutramigen or Alimentum (since it's actually quite common for babies with "formula" allergy to be allergic to both cow's milk and soy proteins, and need one of these "elemental" formulas), and asking your ped for a GI referral.

My DD "peaked" from about 6 to 10 weeks, but then improved dramatically, with complete resolution of her colic by 12 to 13 weeks. During her peak, though, essentially all of her awake hours were spent swaddled in her miracle blanket, sucking on her binky, being "shh"ed and rocked by DH or I in her vibrating bouncy seat (the magic combination :)). Earlier in her course, she could be calmed by being held or swinging (while swaddled, listening to white noise). It got to the point, though, where nothing else seemed to work.

You'll definitely get though this (although at the time, DH and I weren't sure we would!)...and hopefully you're through the worst already. Remember, though, you've got a lot of us BBB moms pulling for you, and sending whatever mental energy, patience and stamina we can your way :) ...definitely keep us updated as to how Kate's doing.

Ann

DD 11/05

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-07-2006, 02:57 PM
you have given me lots to think about and work on and you have given me HOPE.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

jayali
07-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Susan,

I am late to the party, but really want to suggest the formula change. Soy made Matthew so much worse! We switched to Alimentum, a friend did Nutrimagen, and we both had great luck. My friend actually got hers for free, from insurance, delivered to her doorstep, pre-mixed!!!

Good luck mama. Thank god you still have your sense of humor.

BTW, love the hat!

Lovingliv
07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
WHERE did you get that hat?

She is adorable...I hope that things are improving!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-07-2006, 04:31 PM
I am glad you asked about that hat. I got it and a handknit blanket for her from this woman on ebay. The hat is actually much cuter than the pix, the flower was kind of squished. I think this would be a great, inexpensive shower gift also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Handmade-Crochet-BABY-Beanie-Hat-Cap-with-Flower_W0QQitemZ220003952214QQihZ012QQcategoryZ797 15QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Dcclerk
07-07-2006, 05:00 PM
I could not agree more. That thing was a lifesaver for us, and much easier for us to understand than the book. We practiced with DS in front of the TV watching that video and it made a world of difference. We had DS on Zantac, which helped some, but not the miracle that I had hoped. I wore the Kangaroo Korner fleece sling for about 10 hours a day, because that seemed to help. So did the miracle blanket. And, the hair dryer. I really did have quite lovely hair during this time period, since I had plenty of time to style it. We still use the white noise machine with the kids and they are now 3 and 1! I bounced on the exercise ball for hours, too.

I hate to say it, though... DS's colic lasted 4 months. You definitely need to get out from it sometimes. In fact, I'll admit it, I often needed a glass of wine by dinner. I also needed to exercise, even though I rarely did it. It helped to move the endorphins along when I was about ready to match my lungs to his.

Good luck, my dear. It will get better.

amyff
07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Susan...I thought I would share a typical photo of our sweet little Flora.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34596.jpg
The first month of her life she slept. She "woke up" at 4 weeks old and screamed until she was four months old. She was swaddled in a miracle blanket for all day and night (no joke), we did the 5 S's constantly, I carried her in a sling, nursed her for hours, rocked her in a glider and used a cradle swing. I don't know what really helped because she just continued to cry all of the time but it felt good to be "proactive".

However, I just have to be honest...mostly I just held her and she cried...at the park, the zoo, the store, playdates. Hundreds of people came up to me with typical comment "oh...she must be
hungry ...tired...wet...etc." with the comment from me "nope...she just cries". Other SAHM's pitied me and offered to do my grocery shopping, clean my house...it was quite the ordeal.

I took her to the doctor...she was not gassy and never spit up. She had a clean bill of health...so I just took lots of deep breaths, got to a "zen" place and accepted her as she was...comforted her best I could and just lived life as "normally" as possible for my sanity and for the sake of my older daughter. It gradually got better at about 4 months and life got much easier.

I am serious when I say that "surviving colic" is one of my greatest accomplishments. Good luck and I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

floridamommy
07-07-2006, 05:12 PM
There is not much that I can add because you have received execellent advice and info thus far. Just thought I would let you know that I am another mam who has gotten through the early life of a colic and reflux baby and it does get better. It gets really hard at times when you want to help them so much and ease their crying, but nothing seems to work...but our lives CHANGED DRAMATICALLY when our ped switched us to Allimentum aka "liquid gold" and we started using Dr. Brown's bottles. Previously, we saw the ped gastro specialist, went on Zantac, all the above. I am also now the proud owner of a zillion Mei Tais/slings, etc:) It does and will get better. My DD is now a happy, healthy, joyful baby. Good luck to you...there are wonderful and bright days ahead! Heather

mamato1
07-07-2006, 10:48 PM
I really wish I had something brilliant to add. Alas I do not. I can say that Zantac did not do it for us, but Prevacid was a lifesaver. I hope things get better soon.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

randomkid
07-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Susan:

I'm a little late to reply, but just wanted to share our experience. Everything we tried has already been posted. The ped kept saying, "It's just colic, she'll outgrow it." Fortunately, I didn't believe that because she would seem so happy, then just start screaming like she was in pain. I had low supply, so had to supplement. I noticed that she was fine with breastmilk, but would arch her back, turn red and scream immediately after having formula. My LC is the one who first mentioned the possibility of milk intolerance, then I read about the different formulas. The "ad" for Nutramigen described DD exactly. We had tried soy and that actually seemed to be worse (soy protein is very similar to cow's milk protein). After one feeding with Nutramigen, we could see a difference. Three feedings later and we had ourselves a happy baby!

I do agree with a PP that all the things we do for colicky babies probably affects their ability to get to sleep. I had to do a circus act sometimes just to get DD to sleep and she napped in her swing until a year.

I have to say that even before we knew what was wrong, "The Happiest Baby..." was awesome. It did help to soothe her even though she was hurting. If I had to do it over, I would try the hypoallergenic formula first thing. If that's the problem, you would know right away. If not, then you could continue to search for answers.

It sounds like you have some detective work to do. I would say don't just accept the "it's colic" answer, but be persistent until you know you have eliminated all other possibilities (which it sounds like you plan to do).

Good Luck from someone who did the 5Ss, tried every swadling blanket made, used white noise and ColicEase, carried, bounced and cried with DD (because I just knew it wasn't colic) for 6 loooong weeks.