PDA

View Full Version : how long from first steps to walking?

nfowife
07-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Okay, impatient momma here. DD FINALLY took some steps this week. On July 4 she figured out how to stand up on her own (without pulling up, I mean). She stood up and took about 4 steps. Since then she's done it once or twice a day that I've witnessed (she could have done it a few more times that I didn't see because I was cooking or whatever, but I'm pretty much with her all.the.time). But, if I stand her up and try to get her to walk towards me, it's pretty much a no go and she still crawls pretty much all the time. How long do you think it will be until she is actually walking?? The waiting is killing me!!
At least I know she's made the connection that she can move without holding onto something! She will walk holding onto one of my fingers too, but if I take it away she's immediately down on the ground again. Ugh!

Momof3Labs
07-07-2006, 09:37 PM
DS1 was cruising furniture at 6.5 months, first steps (no hands) at 9 months and all-out walking at 10.5 months. It will happen in its own time!!

elliput
07-07-2006, 09:38 PM
How exciting! She'll be running by next weekend. ;-) Actually, it is really hard to say as each child had their own comfort zone, but guaranteed you will not be waiting long. :-)

C99
07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
It took Nate about a month to go from taking first steps to walking as his primary way of getting around. Rose took her first steps at 9.5 months, but didn't walk all the time until just shy of her 1st birthday.

megs4413
07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
DD took a long time to go from cruising to walking, but that standing without pulling up was a pivotal point! It seemed not long after that (maybe two weeks) she was taking her own steps. Falling a lot at first, but she had it down within a month of standing on her own. That was the big turnaround for her! I think she's getting close!

MMEand1
07-08-2006, 02:01 AM
I guess we are in the minority here. My DD figured out how to stand on her own and take a few steps months ago. She will be 18 months in a few days and had NO desire to walk, even while holding our hand. My DS did not walk until 18 months on his own either, so maybe it's a wierd genetic thing going on in our family!

I heard that if you were to get one of those old clothes pins (the ones without a spring) and hold one end and have your baby hold the other end and eventually let go, they will think they still have your finger and will take off.

Good luck!
Mariah P.

Lovingliv
07-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Margaret, Liv started to take steps right after her 1st birthday, but stopped crawling at the beginning of her 13th month. Now she is a pro....but it took a good couple of months to get there.