PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Cooplpix owners: how do you transfer pictures??

aliceinwonderland
07-08-2006, 08:49 PM
To your laptop/PC??

I used to know how to connect the camera to the computer ages ago: after several moves and lost gadgets/program CDs, we bought a nifty, small Card Reader that goes straight into the computer. Now that is not working properly. Tried to replace it (was less that $20), but Best Buy says it's discontinued. We buy a fancy scandisk thing, complete with CD, and a USB cable. Well, it does not work; tried installing the CD and weirdness happens. I cannot beilieve I am having so much trouble with a relatively small problem!!

HELP!!

kellyotn
07-08-2006, 09:07 PM
In the few cameras I've plugged in, a pop up usually comes up and asks if you want to open the folder. (Windows XP). (Make sure you have the camera in "View Pictures" mode, not in "Take Pictures" mode.)

Or, if you open up Windows Explorer and hit My Computer, the camera is listed as a drive. (Usually e: or f: depending on how many CD/DVD/Hard drives you've got). Then, just Copy them and Paste them into My Pictures or wherever.

If you wanna get fancy, Google has a WONDERFUL free program called Picasa. It has a utility that find pictures and helps you copy them into a folder on your computer. Its really easy.

Does that help? :)

aliceinwonderland
07-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Yes, thanks--but how do I plug the camera in?? THAT is the problem. Just want to get my pics from camera onto the computer...LOL, yes I am that ignorant, I surprise myself sometimes.

PS> I have Picassa, but right now, no pictures to play with. Sob.

kellyotn
07-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh, physically how do you plug it in? Hmmm, not sure for a Nikon. My Olympus has a door on the side. Pop it open, plug it in. (Do you still have the right cord?) Power, view mode, good to go.

Hope a Nikon owner can help!

egoldber
07-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I have never plugged in my camera, I have always used a card reader. You can get a card reader very cheaply. Go to a camera store NOT a big box seller like Best Buy. Or order on-line from a reputable dealer like B&H Photo in New York. Their customer service is fabulous and their reps are very knowledgeable.

www.bhphotovideo.com or 1-800-606-6969

You shouldn't need a CD or have to install anything. It should just plug in and work.

aliceinwonderland
07-08-2006, 09:21 PM
No cord. I lose everything, sometimes several times over :(

aliceinwonderland
07-08-2006, 09:23 PM
THANKS! I have loved my card reader until it up and quit. So if I can find something similar, I'd be on photo-heaven again!!

ETA: Went to their website and am going next week to their brick and mortar store. Thanks so much again. I have over 50 pics lonely and unshared in the silly camera :)

abigailsmom
07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
my Nikon Coolpix camera came with a cord that connects to the computer under this little rubber flap and then has a USB end that goes into the computer. If you have lost that then maybe Nikon can supply another one if you contact them. When my cord is hiding I use the card reader on my computer and then the Nikon View software that came with it to down-load it.

HTH!

aliceinwonderland
07-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Which card reader do you use?? I had the "Compact Flash Card reader"--that's what it says on top of it, it's very plain and small, card in one side, thingie that does into the computer on the other, but that's the one that stopped working.

abigailsmom
07-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I have a built in card reader on my desktop computer and my laptop. I run PC if that makes any difference... I truly don't know.

egoldber
07-09-2006, 07:05 AM
The store is surpisingly small for the size of their business, LOL! Also, be prepared that they have some odd hours. The store is run by very observant Jews, so they are closed on Friday afternoons and Saturdays. But they are open on Sunday.

BillK
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
First - what kind of memory card does your Nikon Coolpix use? SD, XD, Compact Flash (CF)?

If your camera uses SD memory (small thin card) - I've noticed that most card readers require that SD memory cards be inserted upside down - vs. right side up for most other types of memory cards. That could be your problem.

Beyond that - I'd just go to www.nikonusa.com and search for your camera model and buy a new USB cable to connect the camera directly into the PC via the USB cable.

egoldber
07-09-2006, 12:25 PM
The Coolpix uses regular CF cards.