PDA

View Full Version : i have a dumb q: do you use outlook express?

skohng
07-08-2006, 09:40 PM
hi everyone,
i didn't know who to turn to about this; I'm sure there are many intelligent moms or dads out there who can help me!

I just recently got a new p/t job doing online tutoring services. They require that to communicate with the company, I use my ISP email account and NOT a web-based (like yahoo, hotmail, gmail). I only use yahoo email.

I do have outlook express on my computer (PC) but it's linked to an old hotmail account I had a couple years ago.

How do I create a new outlook express email account? I've tried doing the Wizard tutorial but it's confusing. Also, isn't outlook express just a gateway to your "real" email account? So what would my "real" email account be if I can't use a web-based server?

sorry, I do hope someone out there can help me! Thanks!

bostonsmama
07-08-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd have to get hooked up to a internet service provider that offers email accounts (like roadrunner, cox, comcast-cable internet providers, or verizon-which would be DSL). Through them you would set up an email address using your chosen name tag and "@comcast.net, @rr.net" etc. Does that make sense? I'm not a computer guru, but I know it's a whole lot safer than web-based email. I have a girlfriend who's an accountant for Lockhead Martin and she telecommutes using Outlook Express, a Cox super high speed internet connection with a bazillion firewalls and security features attached to her computer. The files they are sending her are just too private to be viewed over the general internet.

FTR, I love MS Outlook. It's what we have at home. I can store & manage hundreds of emails with lots of helpful features, and I don't need to be online to view old emails (helpful when I take my laptop on a plane and want to look at maps, directions or preps I've emailed myself). To get a new identity (which won't help you with the telecommuting problem, they're going to want an address with a ____.net ending), go to File, Identities, Add New Identities, type in your New identity name, then add where the email server is coming from (pop server, etc) and follow prompts. If and when you get an internet server that has email, they can talk you through the routing over the phone.

HTH!
Larissa

I did it! I gave myself the 1st shot of the cycle! Officially on Lupron. Baseline July 25th.

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg

kijip
07-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Tools

Email Accounts

Add a new Account

enter the incoming and outgoing mail servers and user information. This is where you will enter your email from your ISP

click the option to make this your default mail account

click Save/Add

delete the old email account by going to tools, Email Accounts, Modify/Change.

I have used a variety of versions of this program so the EXACT options might be slightly different than that but that should get you started!

Who is your ISP? They will be able to tell you the incoming and outgoing mail server names

HTH! I just set up about a zillion Outlook configs for a work so it is somewhat fresh in my mind by the specifics are a little fuzzy!

skohng
07-08-2006, 11:23 PM
ah! larissa and katie, thanks SO much for replying!

my iSP is sbc/yahoo dsl. I'm not sure who to contact about the incoming/outgoing server names..?

so by going through outlook I am registering an email like skohng @ sbcglobal.net or something like that, correct? i THINK dh set up those email accts a while ago but they never seemed to work.

thanks again SO much for these instructions! can you explain the difference btwn POP3, etc?

kijip
07-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Check the SBCglobal website- the info may be posted for users. I don't have Outlook on my home computer or I would screenprint it for you.

bostonsmama
07-08-2006, 11:50 PM
what she said

Call their customer support line (some are open 24 hours as long as you're a paying customer, which you are) or internet tech support line for SBC. Tell them you have their service and would like to reactivate an email account through their server (and MS Outlook) and they should be able to talk you through it over the phone. THat's how I did mine. Actually, if you haven't checked it in over a year, it probably expired and went up for grabs, but if no one has taken the "name" then you just re-enter it and the tech will let you register that name on their website and give you all the codes/text to punch into the POP and other querry lines.

HTH!
Larissa

To quote my fellow Marines: Pain is the weakness leaving your body.
Baseline July 25th.

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, born to my bro & SIL 3/06
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32719.jpg