PDA

View Full Version : book about the sensitive child?

lizajane
07-09-2006, 07:19 PM
of course, i am tired of the near constant whining, sobbing and general fear of going to bed, for example. but dh is about to LOSE IT. he has been working the ENTIRE day lately and has no time for schuyler. which, of course, means lots more crying. is there a great resource for understand and assisting the sensitive child? it is hard to play with friends lately because he is either sobbing or acting out (see roaring comment in the bully post.) i heap love on him and i am very good at understanding when he is hungry or tired. dh is not. but i also want to encourage him to be brave when i say, leave the room for a minute and he can't find me. or he goes to daycamp. or daddy has to go to work and he can't go along...

boys2enough
07-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Liza,

Do you think you could use this book?

Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060923288/qid=1152491651/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9584336-1481569?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

if so, I can send my copy to you. e-mail and let me know if you think it could help.

I bought it for DS1 because he is like Tazmania devil, can't stay quite for a while. Then DS2 came along. LOL. Completely opposite. Extremely quiet and timid (to the outside world, not for us!), and cries and whines non-stop. Some of the tips in the book worked for me: keeping the routine, giving him plenty of warning for transitions, and trying and making every new experience something familiar, eg. by pointing out bits and pieces of things that he knows already.

You noticed that I said the tips in the book worked for ME, not US. Since Dh would not put up with any of the "whining nonsense" as he calls it. He sends DS2 to his room every time he cries. I know that sounds cruel, but it works for our family. DH would say, "I am sorry, but you cannot be here in the family room when you cry for no reason. If you really need to cry, please go to your room and you can let your sad feelings all out, then you can come down and join us." We of course comfort DS2 if he cries for a legitimate reason. DH only asks him to leave when he cries for things like, "No, I don't like pizza for dinner," or "I want more chicken nuggets" when he has eaten them all, and when he refuses to be comforted. DS2 would come downstairs after a while, and says, "I am not crying now. I am ready to come down now."

I try the "I can't hear you if you are not talking in a normal voice" trick sometimes to varying success. Often it just makes him cry harder and longer. ARGH.

Sorry for rambling. I haven't done the dishes OR the laundry since July 4th... LOL. (I did vacuum my floor with my new Dyson though LOL. Sorry for the digression here). Anyway, let me know. And Good luck!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!

m448
07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
this is a great book and you may want to check out The Highly Sensitive Child: Helping Children Thrive When the World Overwhelms Them by Elaine N. Aron.

Marielle

Ian - born 10/03
&
Ryan - born 01/06

ca mom to 2
07-10-2006, 02:45 AM
You might try Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller. It's fairly new so I think it's only in hardcover.

Cathy

Carly 5.5 years
Nick 2 years

ca mom to 2
07-10-2006, 02:45 AM
You might try Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller. It's fairly new so I think it's only in hardcover.

Cathy

Carly 5.5 years
Nick 2 years

lizajane
07-10-2006, 07:45 AM
i would LOVE to read your copy. and what you are describing hits some of the issues with schuyler. i use the "i don't understand whining, i only understand words" line alot. or "please use your big boy voice."

what is weird is that he is more whiny at HOME and more outgoing when OUT. seems to be the opposite of many sensitve children. for example, at preschool he is a DREAM. but as soon as i pick him up, thumb in mouth and whining.

i just started reading the book mentioned by another poster and it already is helping. i think it will help dh A LOT.

lizajane
07-10-2006, 07:45 AM
i would LOVE to read your copy. and what you are describing hits some of the issues with schuyler. i use the "i don't understand whining, i only understand words" line alot. or "please use your big boy voice."

what is weird is that he is more whiny at HOME and more outgoing when OUT. seems to be the opposite of many sensitve children. for example, at preschool he is a DREAM. but as soon as i pick him up, thumb in mouth and whining.

i just started reading the book mentioned by another poster and it already is helping. i think it will help dh A LOT.

lizajane
07-10-2006, 07:46 AM
thanks thanks- i already started reading it! i googled "sensitive child" and found this book. dh was out (working...) and i had him pick it up on his way home last night at 9pm. i have already read the 1st 1/4 of it. it makes a LOT of sense.

lizajane
07-10-2006, 07:46 AM
thanks thanks- i already started reading it! i googled "sensitive child" and found this book. dh was out (working...) and i had him pick it up on his way home last night at 9pm. i have already read the 1st 1/4 of it. it makes a LOT of sense.

boys2enough
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Liza,

e-mail me at boys 2 enough at yahoo. com

no space of course and let me know where to send you the book.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://smilies.vidahost.com/kao/chika/chirol_buha.gif

I am celebrating: just passed my "1000 posts" mark. Yipee!