PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can you wash wool??

Emmas Mom
07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a nice, rayon lined, dry clean only wool skirt. I've had it for a long time & haven't worn it for an equally long time because it needs to be cleaned. BUT...I HATE the smell of dry cleaning solution (I don't know why I bought it honestly). Has anyone successfully washed/dryed anything like this? I'm wondering if I could wash it on our "intermittent extra slow" setting & tumble dry it on extra low for a few minutes & then hang it. Or do you think it would totally be ruined?

miki
07-10-2006, 05:33 PM
If you want to try washing it, DO NOT put it in the washer or dryer. Agitating wet wool makes the wool fiber start to felt, essentially shrinking the fabric and making it fuzzy. I've only washed wool sweaters by hand. I fill a basin or bucket with cool water, add the tiniest bit of detergent, let the garment soak for 20 minutes, then I press the water out (no wringing). Then I'll lay it on a thick towel and roll it up like a jelly roll to get more water out. Then lay it flat to dry. I don't know how the rayon lining would do. Rayon doesn't like water washing. The rayon would lose some of its sheen for sure but since it's the lining, you wouldn't see it. Good luck.

lizajane
07-10-2006, 06:10 PM
definitley hand wash over machine washing. or try dry cleaning at an environmentally friendly dry cleaner that uses a natural process.

jgriffin
07-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I agree with the PPs about not using a regular washing machine, you really want to avoid agitation or the wool might felt. If you have a front-loader with a wool-cycle, you *could* try that, but I'd probably wash it in cold water by hand myself (at least the first time), roll it in a towel, and dry it flat.

Sometimes clothes are marked as dryclean only not because of the fabric, but because of the dye. This is often the case with silk, I've read, but I don't know about rayon or wool.