PDA

View Full Version : Travel Dilemma -- Advice Needed!

bunnisa
07-11-2006, 12:32 PM
We just found out that DH will be going to Dublin on business at the end of August, and he'd like me (and one or both children) to come along. He will work for one week and then take another week off for vacation.

Here are my options, and any opinions (and especially BTDT advice) are greatly appreciated!! (FYI: 6 mo DD, 3 yr DS)

Option one: We all fly together and stay the full 2 wks. First week in a hotel (see DH weekends/evenings), second week we'd rent a house or apt in a smaller town. Advantage: no concern over leaving DS with my mom. Disadvantage: 3YO in hotel in Dublin for a wk (the rental will be fine)!

Option two: DH flies out to Dublin alone for the first week. My mom flies out to our house, and 6 mo. & I fly out alone to join DH for one week. Even with paying for my mom's flight, this option would save us quite a bit since we'd have one less international seat to buy.

Option three: Baby & I join DH in Dublin for first week while my mom watches 3YO. Advantage: Hotel is paid for, DH would be on the flight with us.

I am not going to leave the baby with my mom because I'm nursing, and even if I wasn't, I just don't feel comfortable with that. I'm honestly not even thrilled about my mom watching DS for a week (let's just say she's verrrry permissive, indulgent, and high-energy, and DS consistently has about a week's fallout after they visit) but I suppose he'd recover and it would be nice to take a vacation with DH.

What do you all think? Going at a different time (not a business trip) is not likely to happen. The draw of going is that DH's ticket is free, as well as the hotel and a per diem. If we had to pay for all of that, we'd probably go somewhere else before we chose Ireland.

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

holliam
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
You should do option 1! There is so much to do in Dublin that you won't just be in the hotel with the kids. There are so many places to walk, and I think all of Europe is far more kid friendly than the US. GO! GO! GO!

usfrph
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
DS and I tagged along with DH on a business trip last May. I would probably opt for #1 since I would want both kids on my Ireland trip pics :) I've never been to Dublin but if you choose to go with opt1 scope out where all the play areas are so your 3yo can expend his energy!

bunnisa
07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks so much for the responses. I think we're leaning towards bringing both DC along with us. Now I just have to find a house to rent...! :)

Bethany
blessed wife and mama to two!

"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-Justin Torres

Lynnie
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I think that is a great idea - especially since you'll have the second week together, in a house, so that will be your true vacation, and will make all of the work of having the two of them solo in the hotel worth it. (not that you can't have fun that first week, but from my experiences, it can be tough when its 2 on 1 in an unfamiliar not completely baby and toddler friendly place.

Have a great time !!

mamicka
07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I vote #1 - the pros far outweigh the cons IMO.

Have a great time!

Allison

deenass
07-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I guess I'll be the dissenting vote, DH and I went to Paris in April (he was going on business and I tagged along). There was NO way I would've taken DS (he's 3) and dealt with him on an international flight, time change, food change (DS is picky) and a hotel room. We chose to leave him home with my parents.

Of course, he is very close to my parents (they live 10 mins away) and while I did have some fallout to deal with upon my return, he had a great time and so did we.