PDA

View Full Version : Fit question: Seven jeans and Blue Cult jeans OK for chubby moms?

oliviasmom
07-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I usually hang out on the bargains board, but I this was a more appropriate place to ask this question. I want to buy a "fashionable" pair of jeans, such as Seven for All Mankind or Blue Cult, but I am concerned about how fat a person can be and still wear these jeans. I used to wear a size 10 before my son was born but I now am a 12 in sizes such as Gap and Eddie Bauer. My chief flaw (one of many) is my fat thighs. I sometimes have problems with the way jeans fit, because if I fit a size that fits my thighs, the waist is often times too loose. Any suggestions for jeans that might fit me well? Thanks for any and all advice!

DDowning
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm in the same boat and I have a friend whose runs a business selling discounted fashion jeans and I've tried them all. I found the best fit for my body type is the Pearl jean by Chip N Pepper. There is a bit of stretch allowing for fit and holds you in the right places elsewhere. They are stretchy - you need to get 2 sizes down from what you would normally order.

HTH!

edited to clarify

teddy
07-14-2006, 01:23 PM
You might want to check out Paige Premium denim jeans. They have them at Nordstrom. They have some stretch in them. Not sure how the fit is in the thigh specifically, but I know from her web page that a lot of women in all shapes love how they fit and look. I know I do!!!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Hi there, I used to be the buyer for Abercrombie and Fitch women's jeans so although I no longer actually buy or wear cool jeans I like to stay on top of the trends. Seven for all Mankind jeans have a very short rise and are very tight through the thigh. I am wearing about a size 8 right now and I can tell you that when I tried these on I thought I was really pushing the envelope- age wise and style wise ( I am old). These were plastered to my thighs. It is my opinion that unless you are very thin or really, really hip these jeans might not be the best choice. And if you wear granny panties stay far away.

ETC spelling
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04

#2 Kate 04-26-06

pixiepower
07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
There are not many designers that are friendly to larger thighs. I have larger thighs also. I have had the problem since high school thanks to years of figure skating(roller, not ice) and dance training. So hence, the muscular thighs. Guess used to fit me great til I aquired a pooch of a belly after having kids. I stick to Old Navy and Gap. Once I lose another 20 pounds I may venture to try on something like seven or Paige Premium. We'll see! Lots of luck!

caffeinedreams
07-14-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm definitely not a fashion insider, but I would have to agree with Susan. In my experience, those jeans are made for a skinny, probably very young, body. My skinny-as-a-rail, 110-pound, 17-year-old stepdaughter with tiny thighs and hips looks very cute in her Seven for all Mankind jeans, but I don't see a womanly body easily fitting into them and looking good or feeling comfortable, though obviously some do. I think 32 is the highest size they make, which would be about a 12, and I bet it is a very small 12 at that. My SD wears a size 7 in other jeans and wears a 29 in these, so I think they are cut on the narrow side.

You might just try Nordstrom and try various brands on and see what works--I've had good luck there with jeans that are fashionable, yet better for my body.

spanannie
07-14-2006, 05:44 PM
I would highly recommend AG Club jeans. They are great for real-woman figures, and were my favorite "fashionable" jeans when I wore sz 12 (sz 32 in AG). At size 12, I couldn't make Sevens work, but if you were looking for a pair of Sevens, I think their regular boot cut style is the most generous with a higher rise.

You can try on AG Club at most Nordstroms, but a good place to buy is Designs by Stephene online. No tax and no shipping, and lately they've had offers of 15 and 20 percent off, so you could get on their mailing list. If you call them, they are very helpful in making suggestions for your body type.

http://www.designsbystephene.com/pd_ag_club.cfm

PS...The AG club are also Oprah's favorite.

nupe
07-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Oprah/Experts fit someone in a similar situation in her bra/jeans show that has now been re-run at least once. The young lady had bigger thighs and smaller waist. In that situation the expert indicated that she should choose jeans that fit in the hip/thigh, and then get them *altered* to fit the waist. They were tossing out so many brand names during that episode, I couldn't recall any one.
Here's the link to the oprah web site that discusses the episode:
http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200511/tows_past_20051115.jhtml

And for example, brands for women with big hips:
http://www.oprah.com/tows/slide/200511/20051115/slide_20051115_text_404.jhtml

You *might* even be able to find the entire episode online--through a third party source, but I don't have expertise in that field.

I have a similar problem (like you) in that I always need to have the waist taken in on skirts, pants, etc, or with Ann Taylor Loft and Ann Taylor jeans, just wear a belt. The exception is the Banana Republic Martin fit--that works well for me. I hear Gap long and lean are good too for smaller waist to hip ratios, but I haven't been able to try them on yet.

Nupe

oliviasmom
07-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Thank you so much to all who have responded! I so very much appreciate your opinions and suggestions. Off to Nordstrom I go! :)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I tried these on today at Anthropologie and wanted to show them to you. They would be fantastic with a short somewhat fitted top. There are going to be three silhouettes for fall. This style, pencil thin, and the military pant with all the cargo pockets. (again). These jeans would look so cute with all the new flats. I have not bought clothes for almost 3 years and I am ready to jump back on the bandwagon.

http://polkadotsandmoonbeams.com/showProducts.php?PID=384
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

kozachka
07-16-2006, 03:02 AM
Thank you for starting this thread. I've been following it with a particular interest as I am one of those girls with smaller waist and bigger thighs/hips (probably thanks to years of dancing and gymnastics) and I finally feel fit enough for a pair fashionable jeans. No advice on a particular style but I've recently discovered this site www.RevolveClothing.com It has tons of fashionable jeans as well as other upscale casual clothes. If you are lucky enough to be size 26 in Chip & Pepper (I am not), you can pick their Pearl Jeans for $72. Free Priority shipping, free returns. They occasionally have codes for 25-30% off posted on FatWallet, that's how I';ve heard of them in the first place.

I did try Seven for All Mankind in Nordstrom and they won't be my first choice. My one find is A/X pair on sale for $50 was relaxed style, which is far from relaxed, more like tight on me. Also, personally I found that I need somewhat shorter rise 7-7.5 inches. That way my but is not hanging out and I don't have to deal with jeans that are too big in the waist. Of the less fashionable brands I found that Ralph Lauren works better for me than most other mainstream jeans. Actually, I am wearing a pair on right now. It was $24.99 plus tax from Marshalls.

ctmom
07-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Susan,
thanks for the link. I know pencil thin jeans are the new trend this fall, but I got rid of all of mine after high school, and really don't think I still have the same shape to wear them again!! The good thing about the skinny jeans it the stretch, once you actually get them on...Am I dating myself by remembering laying on my bed in the morning to get the zipper up and buttoned on my jeans?? I've never been into military style, so I'm glad I have another choice!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

spanannie
07-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Those are so cute! Did they run true to size? I think I might have to get a pair.

As for the skinny jeans, I just don't think I can get into that style. I tried some on (True Religion) and they looked good in the rear and everywhere that was important, but the skinny jean look just isn't my think. They have the TR skinny jean as part of the Nordstrom sale.

Any ideas on good cargo pants for this season? I need a whole new wardrobe, since nothing I have fits now!

oliviasmom
09-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

I hope no one is upset that I resurrected this topic, but you all were so helpful with suggestions that I thought I'd ask for your help again. OK, so I bought a pair of AG Club Jeans (yes, the Oprah jeans!)in 2 am wash (the medium shade of blue)in size 31 and they are SO tight. When I button them up I have this super fat POOCH of flesh hanging over the waistband... :( But the description on the Nordstrom website says to expect the fit to be snug initially. I called Nordstrom and they are sending me a 32 so I can compare for size. So I guess my question is, how tight SHOULD they be, and should I "stretch" them out by wearing them around the house, and if so should I expect them to shrink back every time I wash them? Thanks everyone!

BeachBum
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I haven't tried on these particular jeans, but what you are describing is "muffin top". This can either mean the jeans are too small, or that the style just isn't flattering for you.

Just to be clear, muffin top can not be hidden under most shirts. Muffin top can also be a problem for thinner women too. It just depends on the cut and specific body shape.

My impression here is that you need to keep looking. A while back, someone posted a "find your fit" website for jeans. I can't for the life of me remember what it was. You entered all your measurements, and "how" you want jeans to fit and then it told you what jeans to try. You might want to search for that.

Another "tip" that I got on the show "what not to wear" is that if you have larger thighs/hips you want to make sure that the jeans aren't tighter around the knee.

HTH

spanannie
09-21-2006, 07:35 PM
I buy mine very tight, but I would not buy them so tight that you have to cram anything in. As the other poster says, that would create muffin top. They should fit properly everywhere, just have a snugly. If they are at all loose when you buy them, you are guaranteed to get saggy butt by the end of the day, if not sooner.

They do shrink back to being snug as when you first put them on, when you wash them; even if you drip dry.

overcome
09-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Here is the jean finder web site you were referring to:

http://www.zafu.com/zafu/filter.do?fmethod=PRINT_PRODUCT

I am totally out of the loop. I never even heard of Blue Cult or Seven whatever jeans. Yikes.

ltmommy
09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
You might want to check out Lucky Jeans, especially the Easy Riders. They are not as upscale maybe as Sevens, but they are still very nice. They are the only jeans I've found that fit my waist and my (heavier) thighs, and still look current.

Leslie

kellyotn
09-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I love the Lucky Easy Riders. Just discovered them. They actually *fit* my waist and thighs. (Much smaller waist than thighs). I feel like a million bucks in these jeans compared to the last few disasters I bought. I think they come in two versions, one with a little stretch, and one with more stretch. I like 'em both.

I also am VERY happy with some cheap jeans from JC Penneys. They are Tint brand, Chelsea model. They were recently on sale for $25! Normally only $44.

table4three
09-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I agree. I have the similar thigh issue - I'm a size 10 but with the thighs a bit larger than pre-baby and have difficulty finding jeans. I used that www.zafu.com website that was posted here and it said to try Lucky Easy Riders. I bought a pair and I LOVE THEM!!! I love them because they are relatively fashionable, have some stretch, are VERY comfy and are actually flattering without being glued to my fat thighs. LOVE them!!!

http://b2.lilypie.com/mkn7m5.png

brownlesa
09-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Wow! Thanks for the site!

I hate shopping (for myself) and have been wearing the same pair of jeans for since DD was born. I'm totally clueless and usually get overwhelmed and leave with nothing. Now I have specific jeans to look for!

Leslie

Fairy
09-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Um. Wondering, do you seriously think being a size 12 is fat? It's noooot.

Try lower rise jeans, they make the ass look alot better and you don't have to worry too much about gapped waist.

crayonblue
09-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Size 12 is certainly not fat!

Wife_and_mommy
09-23-2006, 09:38 AM
KWYM but then the over-sized, PP belly is in full glory. You just can't win.

I've found that Liz Claiborne jeans are a good fit. Might try those.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

mom2binsd
09-23-2006, 06:12 PM
So much great info ladies, thanks, now I have to get out there and try on jeans, so much fun, especially when you're only 4'10''- even petite jeans are long and most petite jeans are not cool looking! Any suggestions?

I did see on some show recently, maybe one of them morning talk shows, that almost no one can pull off the skinny jean look, and that most real women should stick with a straight leg or boot cut and maybe some day we won't see anyone wearing tapered legs/high waisted mommy jeans (don't you cringe when you see them???) Gotta love What not to wear for their fun way of looking at fashion!

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
09-23-2006, 09:59 PM
WNTW would tell you to find jeans that fit great and have them altered for length.

I recently found some great jeans(Liz C.) at JCPenney but they weren't petite, which I need. I stopped looking but if I don't find anything, I'm going to bite the bullet and do that.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://b1.lilypie.com/QQKqm4.png
http://b3.lilypie.com/UnbPm4.png

oliviasmom
09-23-2006, 10:08 PM
>Um. Wondering, do you seriously think being a size 12 is
>fat? It's noooot.
>
>Try lower rise jeans, they make the ass look alot better and
>you don't have to worry too much about gapped waist.

Hi!

I don't know if your comment was directed at me, but I'd like to say that size is all relative--you can be a flabby size 8 or a toned size 12 (I happen to be a flabby size 12!). I do know that my muffintop belly is well... blech, and that I must tame it with a rise that is high enough to rein in my pooch! Thanks for the jeans website. I might try the Lucky Easy Riders next!

emmiem
09-23-2006, 11:39 PM
I am a size 12 and the only jeans that fit me are the ones from Chico's. I don't buy anywhere else.
Michele

KarenNYC
09-24-2006, 08:10 PM
have you tried Joe Jeans? They have great fit for all shapes and sizes. I also suggest Paige Premium as I have hear that they are great and Not Your Daughter's Jeans as they are not as low rise and have a bit og tummy tuck stuff in them as well.

spanannie
09-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Paige runs very small. I wear a 6 in pants and a 28 in 7s and Citizens, and I'd need a 30 in Paige. I know they're really hot right now, but they don't fit me well at all.

jesseandgrace
09-24-2006, 10:29 PM
OH no, now I have two new pairs of jeans on my list thanks to this post! I would also recommend trying Citizens of Humanity.