PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Selling High Ticket Item - Maybe Ebay

momofmany
07-17-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm looking for advice on selling a high ticket item (Mountain Buggy Urban Double Stroller - from 2004). I'm thinking I'll need to go a route like ebay or craigslist - I don't feel like I can get what I want for this by trying to sell it locally. (I paid $500 and would like $300 - it's in great shape). Any advice for a first time seller - for example, will my lack of e-bay selling history/feedback hurt me? Also, I want to set a minimum price, how to handle payment and shipping, etc. Any advice would be appreciated - also if you have an alternative suggestion of a different venue, that would be great as well.

thanks so much for your help!

Becky - mom to four great kids!

megs4413
07-17-2006, 12:10 AM
have you thought about joining the BBB swap group? It's definitely a target audience for that kind of item!

I wouldn't go the ebay route because they take a portion and charge you for setting minimums and all that.....just my opinoin...lots of people have great luck with ebay....

try the swap first....that's my advice! good luck!

shilo
07-17-2006, 01:18 AM
i'd definintely check out stroller swap first like pp said (yahoo group run by the famous strollerqueen who pops up over on the Places to Go: Strollers forum quite a bit). my guess a MBUD will do well there. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

if not there, i'd try my luck with listing on craigslist several times before i went with ebay. no fee's to pay with craigslist and you could list it as $350 and stand firm on $300, you won't have to deal with shipping like you will on ebay and you can ask for cash. just a heads up with craigslist tho, on more than one occasion, i have had people show up at my door (after verbally agreeing to the price of something on the phone, or on email) and try to talk down the price (ie. an exersaucer i listed at $45, we agreed on and then she showed up at my door and said 'oops, i only have 2 $20's, will you take that instead?). my advice, say no. she went back out to her car and miraculously 'found' $5 more. if they've taken the time to drive over to your house to pick it up, odds are, they want it and are willing to pay the full price - but everyone likes a bargain, no?

hth,
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

AddiesMom
07-17-2006, 05:13 AM
I would also try Craigs List for a few days. No fees and the person needs to pick it up from you. DH wanted to get rid of concert tickets... posted them at 8 am on a Saturday and by 8 pm he was meeting the guy at a Dunkin Donuts to swap them for $200.

kellyotn
07-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Do you still have the original box? It'll make shipping a lot easier.

Do try SWAP! They probably know exactly the best way to ship it and how much it'll cost. ;)

For ebay, I doubt your lack of ebay history will hurt you on an item like that. re: the minimum you can set a hidden reserve, or just start the bidding sort of high. But, the fees you pay are somehow based on the opening bid you set. That's why you see so many things start for a penny. I'd bet an MBUD has never gone for anywhere near a penny. ;) You can search completed listings to see what they've gone for recently.