PDA

View Full Version : What are you all doing in this heat???

annasmom
07-18-2006, 07:36 AM
It is just SO hot!! What are you all doing to keep your dc busy these days in this heat?? The playground is out of the question, too hot. I could put them in the kiddie pool, but I really want to get out of the house! We have had playdates or something else to do almost everyday lately. I woke up this morning and our playdate for this afternoon is cancelled, and I am at a loss. Any ideas???

bcky2
07-18-2006, 08:59 AM
maybe one of thoes indoor play areas at the mall? that would be fun but inside in the air. we just end up inside untill the early evening.

pampamz
07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
It is way too hot here too -- yesterday w/humidex it was 41C. I took the kids to the mall after DS's playschool. Not so fun for them, and the Gap sale was cleared out so not so fun for me!

Today I am hoping the weather will improve. I need to get them out. The kiddie pool is so much work...or I might take them to a splash pad or neighbourhood wading pool (again, work!).

Momof3Labs
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Hang out at the library!

pampamz
07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Good call!

I should do that, actually, and also face up to my $9.00 overdue fine for a misplaced Thomas DVD...

crl
07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Swim lessons two afternoons a week. We're doing one of our playdates at Barnes and Noble this week. Plan to give the boys their snack at the coffee shop area and then let them play with the trains and benches. . . . My DS LOVES to ride the escalator so I can always take him to the mall and walk from escalator to escalator. Are you close to any museums?

thomma
07-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Well, this morning we went for a ride to look for animals. We live in the "country" near a ton of farms...do you think I could find one frickin' animal? Not a cow to be seen...too hot for them too, I guess! :) Thank goodness a local farmstand has a fake cow in front of it...my kids fall for it every time. :)

Kim
t&e 5/03

annasmom
07-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions ladies!! Our nearest mall stinks, no elevators except for in the major department stores, and same goes for bathrooms, no bathrooms except for the major department stores and then you cannot even fit a double stroller in their bathrooms! Suffice it to say, it is not the most child friendly mall, so no play area either.

I took the kids to Panera for an early lunch. There is a fountain next to Panera in which all the kids play, so we stopped by there as well. I think we will just do the sprinkler in the backyard after naptime.

calv
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I have one of the small plastic kiddie pool that I got at walmart. Since i dind't want to sit in the heat even though I could of fit in the pool, I brought the pool inside and just filled it w/an inch or so of water. The kids had a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the nice part was that I dind't have to worry about the sunblock, heat, or bugs. :)

kep
07-18-2006, 12:31 PM
We've been doing swimming lessons 3x week in the mornings, and then coming back to hide out in the house the rest of the day (with our a/c). We do have a pool where we live as well, but to be honest, being preggers, I'm usually wiped out from the morning swimming, changing, and getting home. We're doing the Mom & Me lessons.

Sometimes we go to the library, though. Nice air-conditioning there, too.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)
And a new baby due Christmas Eve, 2006

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34503.jpg Weaned after 3 years!

http://bd.lilypie.com/8dPKm4/.png

Corie
07-18-2006, 01:47 PM
We've been going to the library alot!! The Texas heat
is just unbearable!

chiqanita
07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Another Texan here and yes it's hot enough for me!
We haven't been outdoors (park or yard) in a couple of weeks. We had croupe for 2 weeks and now it's too hot to do anything outdoors. My poor little guys turn red and sweat up a storm after 5-10 minutes. I've taken them out for early morning walks but it was 90 by 8:30 this morning. I don't even want to go into the backyard because of the fireants and spiders. Found a huge one at my front door early today...it took 3 stomps to kill it. Yuck! It even stuck out its fangs as I walked up to it. Ewww!

So, we do a lot of stuff indoors or we go for drives. I fill up the master bathtub and let them splash away in there. We play with whip cream mixed with a touch of food coloring beforehand. Oh, today we went to Target which seemed entertaining to both DS. Saturdays we go to gym classes and the mall.

I think I'll look into the library, too.

candybomiller
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
DS wants to come live at your house!!!

Momof3Labs
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Yep, we use the tub as a pool in a pinch, too. Or let DS splash in the kitchen sinks (our water bill will be ridiculous this summer)!