PDA

View Full Version : Buying Organic from Trader Joe's/Whole Foods-made in China???

marchmommy
07-18-2006, 07:38 AM
For a while it's bothered me that the frozen organic veggies and fruits I've been buying from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (most of them)say made in China, or in other cases, Mexico. I just noticed this a few months ago. There is a different label on the international organic fruits and veggies, not USDA but an international label. I asked an employee what this meant-do they have the same organic standards as the US? (Because if the standards are different, we should know what those differences mean, especially when we are paying more for the organic label.) And he didn't know. I might be writing an article on this, if I find out enough info (I freelance), and I was wondering if any of you had any information on this????

jasmine_bay
07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
There was an article in the Dallas Morning News about this topic! It does make me more wary of buying "organic" food that comes from China.

Here is the link:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/dmn/stories/071606dnccoorganics.19c550e.html