PDA

View Full Version : study shows sex close to due date can spur on labor

brittone2
07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Sorry...I am not sure if this has been posted already but I thought I'd post since we often have mamas asking about more natural means of "induction" and this gets brought up pretty frequently. I'm way behind on the boards as lightning struck very close to my house, screwing up my cable connection, and we just finally got back online tonight.

Anywhooo....in case anyone is interested, thought this was interesting :) I hope I'm not repeating something already posted :)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/18/sex.labor.reut/index.html

MarisaSF
07-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Funny, I thought this was "old" news, but I guess this is the first actual study. Interesting!

I feel the need to warn (total non-medical warning) people about my experience. I had heard of natural induction means and tried one. (Embarrassed to say what it was!)

Anyway, I tried it. My contractions started the next morning. However, I was then in labor (contractions on and off) for two and a half days before DD was born. It was not fun and DD was born "shellshocked" and quiet, probably from the long labor. (I had a totally normal, non-risky pregnancy, BTW.) IMO, she was not ready to be born and I tried to work against nature. Who knows, it may have happened anyway, but I don't think I'll be trying anything like that next time.

american_mama
07-18-2006, 09:42 PM
They used a diary method related to sexual intercourse starting at 36 weeks. So what that suggests to me is that regular sexual intercourse in those final weeks might correlate with spontaneous, "on time" labor rather than a one time act in the final week or days. That was interesting. This could be dangerous info. in the hands of the DHs of the world :-)

The study didn't talk about how the acts of intercourse were distributed over the final weeks. I wonder if a final burtst of frequent sexual intercourse in the final week/days have the same result.

punkrockmama
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Ummm, I think my whole post should probably have a TMI Alert.
Wow. But, uh-oh. It seems the later I get in to my pregnancy the hotter I get. It was the same way with my first. I couldn't stand to see DH coming at me for the first two months. But after that IT WAS ON. And it was more and more up until I gave birth. Peyton was three days late and we were doing it a couple of times a day until my water broke.

DH also made me chicken parm because I read about a recipe from a restaruant where a bunch of women supposedly went into labour after eating it. It was gross and didn't work.

new_mommy25
07-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this is true :) .

buddyleebaby
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
That;s because it's supposed to be EGGPLANT parm. ; )

Or watermelon...

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-18-2006, 10:53 PM
I also read that stimulating your nipples for 5-6 hours a day would bring labor on. That wsn't going to happen either! :)
Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

Jo..
07-19-2006, 04:19 AM
My doctor, my birthing class teacher, and my doula all advocate "sex, sex, and more sex" during the final weeks of pregnancy to soften the cervix and induce labor. It is my understanding that semen contains prostaglandin, which helps to soften and dilate your cervix. Combine that with orgasm (which causes your uterus to contract), and you've got a recipe for labor!

However, yesterday I found THIS article:

http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/mediaroom/press/article.cfm?ID=2664

This study found that sex can DELAY delivery. SIGH. Who knows what to believe?

Needless to say, I sent DH the link to the SECOND article ;). As Karen said, that first article could be DANGEROUS in the wrong hands! :D

Lynnie
07-19-2006, 08:06 AM
worked for me.

:)

(fortunately, since I hate eggplant !)

Momof3Labs
07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Nah, send him the first link! If you think sex is awkward and uncomfortable now, just wait until you are healing, have low estrogen and are totally sleep deprived! Get in the good stuff while you can!!

(and I swear that it worked to get DS2 out of there!)

aliceinwonderland
07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Not here :)

daisymommy
07-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Worked for me :)
Dh was off work on a Monday ;), I was 5cm. by Wednesday, and had Joshua on Friday.

JulieL
07-19-2006, 10:53 AM
LOL, I agree if you want it get it NOW!!!

AmyZ
07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Ummm... I think it is a big conspiracy by men to get us to have sex before the baby comes!!!

The fine print *somewhere* must read: This study is funded by horny men!

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

brittone2
07-19-2006, 12:25 PM
I think it did mention that sex more than one time per week resulted in a higher percentage of women going past their due date...so if you get too randy with the DH, it could backfire I suppose ;)

I told DH about the study last night (When I was pg with Logan we were all set to ummm....do everything possible....to get me to go into labor with DS, but he was born at 8am the very morning we planned on a full day of walking and ummm...other stuff ;) ) I totally believe it helps, it was interesting to finally see a study on it though.

TMI but I'm another fan of the good stuff while pg ;)

saschalicks
07-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I will say this: With DS#1 it totally totally totally worked. We umm hadn't in a while and then I was just done, I wanted it to be over so I thought we'd try it. We did and I started contractions the next day. :D

When you are at the end of your pregnancy it's worth a shot right?

elephantmeg
07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
we tried that, nipple stimulation, evening primrose oil capsules (vaginally), walking, and everything but castor oil and at 41 wks was induced and still no go :) Some boys are stuburn! But I will say that it helped DH get though the 6 wks post partum!

punkrockmama
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
>That;s because it's supposed to be EGGPLANT parm. ; )
>
>Or watermelon...

I know, I know. :) But I don't like eggplant. I was hoping the secret was in the sauce.

I never heard of watermelon doing it. I LOVE watermelon. *files this away for future reference*

mmdybner
07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
It worked with both of my DD's! I have to warn you, though, that, similar to a PP, I had very long slow labors both times. I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant now, and I may try the eggplant this time. It's my favorite food, anyway, except for sushi, which I can't have.