PDA

View Full Version : Did your DC have to stay in the NICU and did you send a follow-up letter?

smiles33
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
DD was in the NICU for a week when she was 3 weeks old after a 103 degree fever caused by a UTI. Since I'm EBFing, I slept there on the breastpumping room couch and stayed with her except for 1 hour each day to go shower and change clothes. DH and I just loved our nurses since they were so supportive and understanding (we were both a mess the first night), as well as extremely helpful and professional.

The day we left, we left thank-you cards and 3 boxes of chocolates (one for each shift) as a show of gratitude. It's been about 9 weeks now since we came home and DD is so big and healthy I can't believe she's the same baby. I'd love to send a follow-up letter to let them know how she is now, include a photo, and maybe another group gift. But we already gave them chocolates and I'm not sure what to give that can be split among the shifts and also last more than 1 shift (since so many NICU nurses don't work daily shifts).

And, I also wonder if I should send them now as DH suggested waiting for the holidays and sending it then, but I'm afraid they'll forget her since it will be so many months later.

Any ideas? Anyone an NICU nurse or had their DC in the NICU?

TIA!

shilo
08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
well, not a nurse, nor have i had a child in the nicu, but i did work in healthcare. honestly, one of the most appreciated gifts in rehab was fresh fruit. we had one patient who would come back every fall with huge grocery bags of persimmons. another brought two big bushells of apples, and yet another brought a couple big boxes of clementines (those sweet and oh so yummy seedless tangerines). i think the clementines are actually in season right now, as i think i just saw them on sale at safeway (grocery) this week. other non-chocolate gifts that have gone over well in the rehabs where i've worked are some of those big cans of gourmet popcorn, yogurt covered pretzels or dried fruit, and sounds strange (but common for where i live ;)... but big trays of spring rolls, won-tons or lumpia go over well too. i think it's really nice to take 1 for each shift, the nurses on pm's and noc shift really appreciate it when families remember their care for their loved one's as well, so kudos to you for remembering them all.

hth,
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

lizajane
08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
i was so thrown by the whole "didn't get to bring home my baby" thing, i didn't do anything. i still feel kinda bad about it. i really wanted to bring in a plate of homemade cookies or something. but it just didn't happen because DS 1 (22 months at the time) was sick the day we did get to bring DS 2 home (5 days old) and DH was sick and couldn't even sleep in the room with me and DS 2 and then i got sick and then my mom (here to help) got sick...

your post kinda makes me want to send a photo of my sweet dylan in his NICU bed with his ng tube in his nose and a photo of my tan, pot bellied dylan on the beach, now 18 months old with a basket of muffins or fruit or cookies... maybe i will...

do you think food items would need to be pre-packaged, since they clearly will have no idea who i am 18 months later?

C99
08-13-2006, 10:10 PM
My first spend 8 days in the NICU and I didn't send any follow-up to them after he came home. Although he was premature, he was not in the category of "really sick baby" so I didn't think anyone would be that interested in how he was faring. About 6 months later, I formed a playgroup and one of the moms who joined had been a NICU nurse (and pregnant) in the NICU at the time that Nathaniel was there. I still remember seeing her working when I was there with Nate, although she never was assigned to his bed.

nathansmom
08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
With my firstborn I had a mug made for each of his nurses with the nickname they gave him on it along with a picture of him in the nicu and one at home. We also on the anniversity of the day we brought him home we take a homemade fleece blanket and one gender neutral preemie outfit for future patients (our nicu gives blankets to all patients who spend more then 24 hours in the nicu and they supply clothing to lower income families). We also send 2 fruit baskets for all to share. For the neonatologist's we did the same. Nathan spent 10 days in the nicu.

When one of the twins was in the nicu (21 days) we did the same thing. Mugs for his nurses and a fruit basket for each of them. On the anniveristy of his homecoming we donate 2 homemade fleece blankets and 2 preemie outfits. We also send 2 fuit baskets for all to share.

Our nicu also has scrapbooks that they ask families to do a page every year and we particiapte with that too.

Lovingliv
08-14-2006, 06:44 AM
Hi, I have to agree with Lori. I would send an "Edible Arrangement". Great "wow" factor and a healthy treat. I am also in healthcare and everyone sends "not so healthy" foods.

When DD was born, I went down to the nursery and the nurses had pics EVERYWHERE of past patients. There were quite a few "now and then" pics. I think they would love to hear from you, and who could forget your lil one?
What a nice thought,,,,and glad your lil one is doing so well!

Lovingliv
08-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Liza,

Send the photo! As I remarked in my above post, I saw lots of then and now pics. I am sure someone will remember you....and the thought is so sweet. I would not feel the need to get prepackaged....but if you are so inclined the clementine idea is a great one!

JTsMom
08-14-2006, 07:47 AM
We spent 3 different stays in the Cardiac ICU. The first time Jason was a newborn, the second he was 3 mos old, and the third was right after his 1st bday. The nurses didn't recognize him, but did remember us each time. Several of them told me that they LOVE when people follow up. If you think about it, they get the sad, scary part, and then never get the happy part, kwim? So when they get to see that same baby their hearts were breaking for smashing a cake on their b-day, or playing on the beach, it is really uplifting. I spoke to several of them who expressed how emotionally challenging it can be for them some days.

So... definitely send a pic, but maybe send a family one to help jog their memories. I think any little gift you send will be appreciated.

icunurse
08-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I used to work in the NICU (I now work in an adult ICU) and I can tell you, we loved geting pictures and a little update. I think your gift of chocolates when you were going home is more than enough, but a picture of her would be great (maybe include a little reminder in your note to spark the memories if you are concerned they might not remember the name, like "when our daughter was running a fever and we stayed every night, your compassion...") We used to hang the pictures of the babies that parents sent in on a board at the front of the NICU - it was great comfort and encouragement for other parents who have children in the NICU to see the success stories.

BTW - as a nurse, we appreciate it when families take the time to remember us and thank us for a job well done. It's a tough job, often thankless, and your note will mean a lot to them :)

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

kijip
08-14-2006, 09:13 AM
We did not send anything. Toby was only there for a week (immediately after birth), and honestly at least 2 of the nurses were quite bitchy about Toby. There is really no other way to say it. My friend who is a ped says that at least one of the nurses was just not accustomed to hearing the way full term babies cry (loudly) and became quite aggitated that he was not quiet. She actually told me she wanted to drop kick him out the window and she was pretty disparinging about how little milk I was pumping. Not something you say to a brand new mom and then get send fruit, LOL. The other nurses, I am am sure were very kind but regretfully at the time that was overshadowed.

thomma
08-14-2006, 09:51 AM
We had a 58 day nicu stay after ds and dd were born. Needless to say we came in contact with many nurses and doctors. I never gave gifts when we left...overwhelmed by the whole having both kids at home thing. Their first Christmas I sent pictures and a thank you note. I send an updated picture with a note every year on their birthday. Ds and dd got beautiful blankets during their stay that came from Project Linus so we make a donation to them on their birthday too. Also every year we do WalkAmerica and often see a few of the nicu nurses.

Kim
t&e 5/03

smiles33
08-14-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for your ideas! I love the fruit basket suggestion, as I agree that chocolates aren't that healthy. There was a See's Candy store (I think that's just a West Coast chocolatier) just off the freeway exit on the way to the hospital so DH picked them up on his way to bring us home.

We were so traumatized that we never took a photo of her at the NICU, so there isn't really a "before" shot from that week, but I can find one from her 2nd week that gives an idea of what she used to look like. :)