PDA

View Full Version : OT Do you have a family pet and what kind

JBaxter
08-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Last year our beloved little Baxter the min pin died - he was at my moms farm while we were on vaction escaped and was hit by a car. I vowed no more pets but now I'm kinda thinking maybe.

** I know that those of you who read my bitching post rant are not thinking I am COMPLETELY off my rocker LOL..

hez
08-13-2006, 08:57 PM
We have a 65 pound mutt (Boxer-Rott-German Shepard mix) we adopted through the Adopt-a-Pet program at our vet. He's pretty good, definitely protective, and has put up with quite a bit of ear and tail pulling over the last three or so years.

However, I've told DH that I'm pretty sure I don't want another when he goes-- he's 7 already, so we have to consider that as a large breed, he won't make it through Payton's childhood. I have a feeling I'll be outvoted. If a second dog comes along, I expect we'll get another mutt through the vet again. I'm allergic to cats and grossed out by just about everything else, so it'll have to be another dog. Hopefully in the 20-30 pound range next time ;)

I'm sorry for the loss of Baxter, even if it was a year ago.

smilequeen
08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
We have 2 pugs. I don't think any of us could be happier with how great of family pets they make. DS adores them (and can tell them apart better than DH :))

elliput
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
We have a dog and two cats. Our dog is a German Shepard/Australian Shepard/Border Collie mix. She just turned 12 and is having more and more hip problems due to her hip dysplasia. Of our cats, one is a domestic shorthair and the other a long hair (possibly Turkish Angora).

madelinesmom
08-13-2006, 09:46 PM
We have two Yorkshire Terriers, they are both males, half brothers, and couldn't be more different. They are great dogs except, big except, they are difficult to potty train. Good things... they are very good natured, love our girls and are yippy. The yippy part is good for when DH is gone on business. One is 7 the other is 4, they have both been good with the girls from the day we brought them home, almost protective of them. We keep their hair very short and they don't shed, which is very helpful. Both under 6lbs.

Good Luck
Jane
Madeline and Emily's Mom
1/20/03 11/29/05

Momof3Labs
08-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Despite my username (which was true, one day long ago), we now have one 10yo chocolate Lab and one 14-15yo DSH cat. We lost one of our Labs on Wednesday to bone cancer, and our other Lab probably only has a couple of months left (canine cognitive dysfunction). We'll get another dog, but we only rescue adults. Our last three adoptees were 10-11yo each, we'll probably go for 6-8yo this time around. And for now, only one dog, not two or three! We will not get another cat when our cat dies.

But after reading your bitching post rant, and knowing what it is like to add a dog to the house (especially if you are considering a puppy), I do think that you are completely off of your rocker, lol!!

Radosti
08-13-2006, 11:18 PM
We have 3 dogs and 3 cats that are permanent residents. They are a Shiba Inu and 2 Italian Greyhounds, a Siamese and two Domestic Short Hairs. They are all wonderful pets and saints for putting up with the revolving door of fosters in our house. I run an all-breed rescue and generally take dogs from gassing high-kill shelters. We've had over 80 fosters and only kept the Shiba and the Siamese cat. I generally try to take lab mixes because they are so high energy that I am actually thankful that they are going to a new home, thus I don't get too attached.

BaileyBea
08-13-2006, 11:25 PM
We have an English Springer Spaniel who doesn't 'mind getting her tail, ears, and body pulled. DS hugs her all the time and runs up to surprise her when she's sleeping. She hasn't done a thing to DS. She loves him and licks him in the face constantly. She's a good family dog.

But....you may want to wait till your kiddo is a bit older. Dogs are so much work. Puppies and full grown dogs. It sounds like your DS keeps you on your toes. Do you want to through Dog Food and Poop into the equation? Seriously a few weeks ago I had to give DS a bath because he decided to go walk on dog poop. And last week I was diving in to keep him from eating dog food. And he doesn't like his new water table but loves splashing water in the dog bowl all over the place. It's so much extra work.

Proceed w/Caution.. ;-)

Momof3Labs
08-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Nancy, you need a Buddy Bowl! Seriously, this thing is the best!!

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=30E07054-7B6A-11D5-A192-00B0D0204AE5&ccd=INK002

Moneypenny
08-14-2006, 10:44 AM
We have one humane society rescue mutt dog who is about 7 or 8 (she was a stray so we're not sure how old she is). We adopted her a few months before we got pregnant. I would not add a new dog to our family now until DD is older and could reliably follow our commands to leave the dog alone, but it worked out well having the dog first because we could find out what her issues were (possession agression with bones - not food, just bones) and we are sure to not give her any bones while DD is awake.

We will always get rescue dogs, and most likely always over the age of 5. Our first rescue was 10 when we got him. He was such a love! Anyway, with older dogs you don't have to worry about house training or the puppy chewing phase, or any of those things that make it more difficult when you have young kiddos around.
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]

BaileyBea
08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
OMG! You are so right! I do need one of these. I bookmarked it and will order one soon. Yeah! It's like a sippy cup for dogs. Thanks!

murpheyblue
08-14-2006, 11:31 AM
As you can tell by my siggie, we have two dogs. Solano, 4, is a black lab, sharpei, cattle dog mix. We got him from a rescue group as a puppy. Bleu, about 7, is a border collie who we got from a friend who pulled him out of the pound when he was about 3.

Both are incredible dogs and I love them to death but, in general, I wouldn't recommend herding dogs for families unless you really, really like dogs.

o_mom
08-14-2006, 11:53 AM
We have a black lab. She is great with the kids and very mellow. She has moved way down on the totem pole since the kids came, and I feel bad that she doesn't get the attention she used to. We had another black lab, but she passed away a year ago. It was really too much hair with both of them, though. I think when she goes (she is 9), we may take a break until the kids are older, but at the same time I can't imagine a house without a pet. We will probably look at less hairy breeds next time :-).

saschalicks
08-14-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm a dog lover, so your story just broke my heart. It is my worst fear is losing our baby girl. Before we got married DH & I got our toy poodle/yorkshire terrier. She is our only baby girl. She is less then 8 lbs. She is so so so sweet with the boys. Whenever one of them cries she runs to lick them just to be the first to console them. She's been pulled many times and just looks at them sadly like "what are you doing to me". Our first lesson to the boys is how to be *nice* to Sascha. DS#1's first word was "Sascha" which made us so proud. DS#1 gives her a treat everyday right before we leave the house and tells her he loves her. My DH wanted a bigger dog, but I won that battle. He loves her to death, but I did promise our next dog would be bigger. We're thinking a Wheaten Terrier. Good luck.

ribbit1019
08-14-2006, 01:21 PM
We have one cat, a tabby Zoe. She is o.k. with Maddy, and improves everyday. Just this morning I caught her flopping in front of Maddy to be patted. Teaching Maddy gentle petting was key, their relationship has grown since then.

Zoe is 7 years old, not declawed and is fixed. She has her lively moments so we have some difficulty with scratching when she wants to play. She and Maddy love to play chase around the downstairs and occasionally I will find her rubbing against Maddy. She has become sorely underappreciated since the kids arrived, but we try to make sure to show her extra attention when we the kids are asleep.

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/172x/6.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

vdrake71
08-14-2006, 01:27 PM
We have 2 dogs (border collie and a doberman) from the animal and rescue society. The doberman is great and just takes everything the two boys can dish out. She is also a great watch dog. The border collie just runs away from the kids. She doesn't do anything to them, but I don't think she really cares for them other than food that they drop.

We also had a cat until DS#1 was born. I just could not deal with her peeing everywhere. I think she was really upset when we brought him home and the last straw was when she peed on my bed. I just couldn't handle the stress when my son was a cluster feeder and I was getting very little sleep.

We also have a sheep, a Llama, and had an emu (died last week) - we live on a farm. The sheep makes a great pet. Very friendly and eats right out of both boys hands.

I did want to mention that fostering animal is a great way to find your perfect pet. Lucky for me my sister-in-law works for an animal shelter and we have been able to trial dogs. For example, we had a dog for 1 week and we were just about to adopt him when he attacked our sheep and llama. Some things you just don't know about an animal until they are apart of your family. We also fostered a dog that could not climb up the stairs (she was a very heavy Rot).

dules
08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
We have two cats, who just now are starting to come to terms with the fact that we have a child (lol). They are about 11-12 years old and I think when they go we will wait a while then get a dog. I grew up with dogs and I'd like to have another exercise/walk partner, but wouldn't throw a dog into the mix with the two older cats and toddler.

Sorry for the dumb q but what's a min pin?

Best,
Mary