PDA

View Full Version : How do you cover the gray hair?

kelly ann
08-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I finally have realized that I can't put this off any longer. Is the best way to do this in a salon? I just made an appointment for next week, but I had no idea which person to use. They have 4 levels of colorists and originally placed me with a newbie. I switched to someone who is right below the highest level, but is the extra $ worth it?

I am just worried that covering the gray is going to be high maintenance as well as really expensive. Should I go to the higher colorist to begin with and then switch to a newbie once they record the color they used on me?

I have really dark brown hair, so will it be easy to match the color of my hair? I don't want roots in 3 weeks. By the way, most of the gray is around the temple area, but I have a bunch of strands in my bangs and on top.

Thanks!

BaileyBea
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I feel for ya! I have to color my hair every 8-12 weeks depending on how fast it grows. I go to a salon and I use Aveda products. I found that the Aveda products have less fumes and their colors tend to be natural colors from plants etc.

Personally I just couldn't stand the fumes and I found the Aveda products dried my hair less. My hair color lasted longer and looked healthier.

I recommend seeing a very good ($$) colorist in the beginning. Have them write the recipe for your hair color on your chart or on a paper for you. Then next time go to a less expensive colorist and have them use the receipe that the more expensive colorist used. They'll do that.

The other thing I recommend is a conditioner called "Cherry Almond Bark" by Aveda that is an excellent conditioner for colored hair. It has saved me from the disasters of sun damage, hair color and highlights.

Good luck.

holliam
08-14-2006, 11:31 AM
This is just about the only "girly" thing I do, and I only do it about twice a year. I really should do it more than that, but hey, I do what I can. ;)

I too highly recommend Aveda salons. They are the only ones I'll use. I get partial foil highlights just on the top portion. I have really thick that falls just past my shoulders and I would be there for days if I did a full foil highlight session!

I wouldn't get a full color if you have dark hair. I'd probably go with a partial highlight. Foil highlights do take longer than a complete color, but I think it works better if you are just masking those grays and not really wanting to experiment with a new look.

Holli

kelly ann
08-14-2006, 11:56 AM
My appointment is at an AVEDA salon as well so it sounds like I am in good hands. I have thought of the foils, but I just don't think they could cover all of the gray. I am really hoping they can match my color pretty close. I don't want a new look - just a better version of myself :)

inmypjs
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
I am late in responding but just had to write. I also have very dark brown hair and quite a bit of gray and WHITE hair too. I feel for you because with dark hair those grays show a lot!

Anyway, I used to go to a salon for color (not an Aveda salon) and was very happy with it. I believe they used Matrix color. But I had to go every 4-5 weeks or I had a crown full of gray/white. After I stopped working full time I just couldn't justify spending the money, so I started using Clairol Nice n Easy in Natural Dark Brown. I've used it for almost 2 years and my results are great. It takes almost the full 45 minutes to cover my gray, but it covers just as well as the salon and lasts as long. Also, I only do the roots for the full 45. For the final 5-10 minutes I put some color on the rest of my hair just to even it out a bit. It's so much cheaper, and their are coupons in the paper for Nice n Easy all the time. My hair person even tells me it looks good - thankfully she understands I am on more of a budget now.

By the way, I don't know if you've heard of Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, who writes and rates about beauty products, but she has a great article about the pros and cons of salon and home hair color:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article.asp?PAGETYPE=ART&REFER=HAIR&ID=156

kelly ann
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks Katie. I will have to eventually start doing it at home if starts getting expensive. I hate paying $60 for a haircut every 2 months and now I have to add color on top of that - yikes! Anyway, I used to do a home semi-perm rinse about 5 years ago, but I hated how messy it was. Do you have any tips on how to color at home so that the floor/sink/etc. does not get covered with dye?

inmypjs
08-15-2006, 11:43 AM
You know, it really isn't too bad. I think I am used to it from doing it for so long. I do it in a bathroom with vinyl floor and laminate counter, and there are usually a few drips of color but they come up with Clorox cleanup very easily. I usually spread out the instructions on the sink area. The color itself ends up in a bottle with a skinny squirt top. I apply it directly from the bottle to my roots, and then "paint" it in with a hair color brush I got at a beauty supply store. I always keep a garbage bag on hand and some wet rags too, and that helps to deal with any messes that happen. I suppose you could cover the floor with a drop cloth or something, but I haven't done that. I do wear really old clothes, and during the time I leave it on I put a shower cap over my head so as I go around the house it doesn't drip anywhere. Thinking about it, I'm sure I look REALLY attractive during that part of the process! I do miss the convenience and pampering of the salon, but since my results have been the same I don't think I'd ever go back - unless I wanted highlights or something beyond just basic gray coverage. Good luck!