PDA

View Full Version : have you flown in the last week? update BTDT experiences please...

shilo
08-14-2006, 11:57 AM
hi all,

we are flying thru SFO, LAX and OGG in 6 days. i've read the tsa page and the airline page (aa.com) and the airport pages, but given some of the news reports and things i've read here and other places, it seems like that's not always the full story.

can anyone update with BTDT experience on what it's really like getting thru the airport (any airports would help, but especially if you've flown thru one of the above airports since all of this started)?

specifically: anyone had trouble domestically with any of the normal (non-liquid) kiddie parahernalia (carseat, plastic/wood toys, empty bottles/sippy's, wipes/diapers, powdered milk/formula).

i assume that butt paste is out?

last question... how long did it take you to get thru check-in and security. i have read that not only security, but check-in is taking A LOT longer b/c everyone who would normally just take a carryon (like business travelers) are now having to go thru check-in to check a bag. what's 'enough' time to be comfortable - 2.5hours? 3 hours? more?

TIA! lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

kelly ann
08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Lori-

My mom just went through security at O'Hare this morning and it was pretty empty. She got there around 10:30 for a 2pm flight and went right through security with no waiting.

I can't address the kiddie stuff, but she was told you can only have formula, breast milk, and juice if you are traveling with a baby. The butt paste stuff is out :( I would slather it on right before you go through security (if you can find a restroom). Oh, and I would not bring any teething rings that are filled with liquid on the plane - I don't think that is allowed.

Since you are flying on a weekend, I would allow for at least 2 hours. Oh, and enjoy your trip to Hawaii!!!

Lynnie
08-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Just flew from LaGuardia to Miami yesterday (sigh. want to go back) and had no trouble with security.

We got to the airport 2 hours before our flight, and were through security in about 10 minutes, max. We checked our luggage curbside (and American now charges $2 per bag) and that wait was about 10 minutes.

They confiscated my husband's contact lense solution (don't ask me why he had it in his briefcase, he travels alot and it must have just been there from previous trips) and a tube of concealer that he stole from me.

But, my two sippy cups full of milk (regular milk) which were in my diaper bag, along with a tube of prescription diaper rash cream went through the x-ray machine without any additional questions or examination. They didn't ask about it, they didn't inspect it, and frankly I am not sure whether they even noticed it.

Oh, and just an aside, American doesn't give you food anymore, they sell "snack boxes" for $4, which have nuts, raisins, cheese, crackers, and stuff like that. They also don't always have enough to go around.

To answer your question, based on my experience, I would say 2.5 hours is ample time. We could have gotten there much later than the two hours early and still have been fine.

JBaxter
08-14-2006, 02:22 PM
DH flew from BWI ( baltimore) to Atlanta to Arkansas Other than his original fight being canceled and rebooked 3hrs later ( they upgraded him to 1st class) he was through security in 15 min. He took is blackberry w/ him and had NO problems. He seemed to think they had things under control.

Momof3Labs
08-14-2006, 02:51 PM
You could probably bring the butt paste if you got a letter/prescription from your doctor. But otherwise it is definitely out.

We were at the airport Friday (ORD) to pick someone up, and formula/breastmilk/juice was being announced as okay as long as you were traveling with an infant or small child.

hez
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
DH flew last Friday (internationally). When he got to Atlanta, he went through security in customs (shorter line than the general population). He did say they opened every crack & crevice of his bag, and he'd definitely not have gotten his contact solution or hair gel or anything through in a carry on bag. He wore his glasses home for just that reason.

No info on the kiddie stuff, as he was traveling for business. He did carry on his laptop, iPod and Palm Pilot, so unless things have changed in the last couple days, my guess is that kid toys (without liquids) would pass muster.

rlu
08-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Hijack - did he pack his contacts in checked luggage or ditch them? I'm concerned about checking my contacts as I don't know if they would be subjected to unacceptable temperature changes. Does anyone know if this is a non-issue?

Related question - is contact solution considered "medicine"? 4 oz of OTC medicine is now allowed.

We're traveling domestically next month, so might not be relevant by then.

hez
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
He packed his contacts in checked luggage on the way home. He's got soft lenses, and started a new pack a day after he got home (he would have, anyway). He didn't complain about them for the one day he wore them post-checking.

No idea on the medicine question. Oh, and his flight from Atlanta *was* domestic where they were checking every crack and crevice (after he had passed through customs coming in from out of the country).

rlu
08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Mine are 2 week contacts, so I can always toss if necessary, but glad to hear no apparent effects from having his checked.

I figure I'll be calling the airline to ask about the contact solution shortly before we go, although I imagine it will be security who decides ultimately. Hopefully the airline (or airport?) will have some knowledge if contact solution has been getting through as medicine by then.

american_mama
08-14-2006, 10:05 PM
I flew from Minneapolis to Washington Ntl. Airport on Friday, the day after the new guidelines went in effect. It was no problem. We got there two hours early, did curbside check in with Northwest (no fee, very easy), and were through security in just a few minutes. I forgot I had a rectangular ice pack in my carryon, which had defrosted by then, but it wasn't noticed in the xray process. The woman ahead of me took a bottle of mixed formula and a bottle of milk in her carryon (she was with a baby) and went through no problem.

I have oxygen permeable contact lenses and usually leave them in solution in my checked luggage. They have never been effected by temperature changes.

My Dh went through with a cell phone and laptop and it was no problem. My digital camera in my checked luggage is not working now and I think the newly charged batteries might have been effected by something, but I seem to regularly have digital camera problems, so who knows. Besides, it's not like your camera won't be xrayed if it's in your carryon either.

After you got through security, the airport shops were selling water, drinks, etc. as normal, so you could have them at the gate. YBut you were told to throw them out before boarding the plane, but there was no xray machine to check that. There were two people who I think were from TSA who were standing by the gate and I suspect could have asked to search your carryon, but they weren't doing that when I was there.

shilo
08-15-2006, 12:25 PM
thanks as usual for all of the helpful info ladies! thanks for the heads up on the $2/bag for aa, unless the line is ridiculously shorter outside, we'll just go in. here's to uneventful travels :).

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

mariza
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
You can have your lenses in a small contact lens case with a little bit of solution. Any bottles of liquid lens solution should go in your checked baggage.

rlu
08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
That's exactly what I had in mind. [SIL gave me a cute carrying case from Lillian Vernon years ago.]

Thank you!!!