PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your mattresses

Radosti
08-15-2006, 11:42 AM
OK, not sure if you saw my mattress post before, but we bought a really expensive Kingsdown mattress at Sleepy's 4 years ago. Well, the mattress is a mess with a hill in the middle and two valleys where we sleep. Sleepy's sent out a company called BedCheck and the guy said that he agrees that we need to get our mattress exchanged. So, now we have about $1,500-2,000 (not sure if they will take the box-springs back as well which will change the amt of money) to spend on a new mattress at Sleepys.

Do you like your mattress? If so, why? What kind is it? Tell me what you would get if you had $2000 to spend???

kelly ann
08-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Just don't buy Stearns and Foster. I am going through the same thing right now with ours and I have to get someone to come out to examine the mattress. We were so good about flipping and turning the mattress, but it still has the valleys and large hill.

Good luck - I know how frustrating it is to spend a lot on a mattress and have it look all lumpy.

DebbieJ
08-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Can you take the cash and go buy a Sleep Number bed from Select Comfort?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE our Sleep Number bed.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

alleyoop
08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Deb, Do you get the hill and valleys with a Sleep Number bed? How long have you had it? We will need a new mattress soon and I am thinking that we need one, as I like a super hard mattress and DH likes something much much softer.

thx!

tarabenet
08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Absolutely! Get a Sleep Number! Best thing that ever happened to my sleep! No hills and valleys. And each of you can set for the exact firmness you want. It is great. I even find myself changing mine a bit when I'm especially stiff and sore, for instance. DH and I tell all our friends and family, and so far everyone who has switched has loved theirs, with only a single exception. In the case of the exception, DH's buddy got the cheapest Sleep Number made and thought it was not quite right. Duh! Get one with the proper padding, dual sides/controls and the quiet inflation motor, and it is fabulous. We've only had ours for 6 years, but we just took it apart to switch to new bedroom furniture, and all the components still looked like new. I'll never buy another brand of mattress.

Lovingliv
08-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I would have to vote for Tempurpedic....I broke 17 bones in an auto accident years ago and didn't have a good night sleep till I purchased this!

DebbieJ
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
No hills and valleys with a sleep number. You and DH can control your level of firmness. No flipping or rotating required. I do fully fill it when I make the bed so it looks better, but you can store your number to memory, so you just push one button before you go to bed and it's back where you want it.

I agree--get a higher level model with more padding and other features you desire. We got the 7000--the rest of them just felt like glorified air mattresses to me and the 9000 was overkill.

We've had ours for a year and a half and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

g-mama
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Another vote for Tempurpedic. We got ours a year ago and I LOVE it. We got it when I was 6 months pregnant and it made a huge difference in my (terrible) sleep even then. I cannot say enough good about it. It has greatly improved the quality of my sleep and I used to be an awful sleeper.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

o_mom
08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
We have a Simmons Beautyrest (queen size). We have had it for about 5 years and no sagging or hills. I really like it because I can't even feel DH get out of bed in the morning. It wasn't very expensive. It was supposed to be around $900 for the mattress and boxsprings, but the store never charged our CC, so free was good. :-)

AngelaS
08-16-2006, 04:24 AM
We have a Select Comfort too and we both LOVE it!

lkarp
08-16-2006, 06:55 AM
We also have a tempurpedic and love it!

MarisaSF
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Another Tempurpedic fan. It is especially great for co-sleeping with a toddler. None of us ever feel the others roll over, get up, lie down, etc. We all get a good night's sleep.

I was convinced to get a Tempurpedic by my friend who originally got one after her old ("good quality") mattress got a big divet in it that wasn't replaced by company. She was so mad so opted for a mattress with no springs.

bostonsmama
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
We got one of the best Simmons Beatyrests we could buy and we love it. We opted against the pillowtop (just got plush top) to lessen the chance of sagging since almost all mattresses sag after a while.

Having personally slept on both the Tempurpedic and Sleep Number/Select comfort beds, I can say that I don't like either. The Tempurpedic (to me) feels like you're sleeping on compacted sand and it's really too hot for warmer climates (probably perfect for the North). I also can't help but feel like it sucks you down everytime you want to turn over. But everyone's comfort level for this is different. The Select Comfort did have a ridge in the center to bridge the two mattresses/air bladders on the king we slept on for 3 weeks. It made for uncomfortable nighttime cuddling. Plus, it left me with back pain. It was either too hard (like a brick) or too soft (and I woke up w/ my butt touching the bottom of the mattress's air bladder. I don't know if it was the top of the line or anything (apparently, there are nicer lines), but I just dread sleeping on it when we visit my aunt (which is often, 4-5x/year).

Almost any excellent quality, luxury firm plush mattress can be adjusted to your perfect comfort w/ the addition of some mattress toppers. We have a thin Tempurpedic mattress topper that we love, even though our Simmons is perfect w/out it. I just don't have to worry about 20-inch deep mattresses and 8 inches of pillowtop that are going to crush no matter what I do. Consumer Reports also likes the quality of Simmons & Sealy, so when we bought 14 mattresses/boxsprings for our beach house, that's exactly what we got. We couldn't be happier.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, b. 3/06

MarisaSF
08-16-2006, 10:29 AM
>The Tempurpedic (to me) feels like you're sleeping on
>compacted sand and it's really too hot for warmer climates
>(probably perfect for the North).

I live in Phoenix, sleep on a Tempurpedic, and can say that it doesn't feel any hotter than a regular mattress. The new Tempurpedic material is supposedly less likely to trap heat than the mattresses they were making a few years ago.

bostonsmama
08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Well, that would make a huge difference for me (especially since DH runs sooooo hot at night), but does it still feel like you're sleeping on compacted sand? I mean, are there different levels of softness?

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

MarisaSF
08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
There were four(?) different Tempurpedic cushiness types that we tried in a store. There seem to be 7(?) on the tempurpedic website. DH likes firm and I like plusher, but not pillow-top-type soft. We were both happy with the 3rd of 4 we tried in the store. Not sure what it was called.

slknight
08-16-2006, 11:08 AM
We also love our Tempurpedic! :-)

nicoleandjackson
08-16-2006, 11:57 AM
<We opted against the pillowtop (just got plush top)>

DO NOT GET THE PILLOW TOP!!! We have a Simmons Beautyrest that I hate with a passion that burns like a thousand suns }(. Despite flipping it religiously, we now after 7 years have a mattress with such an incredible hill in the middle that it is like having a full-length body pillow between me and DH.

We just bought a closeout mattress at Beds, Beds, Beds (going out of business) from a small manufacturer in Ft. Wayne, IN (the name escapes me right now). I hope it sucks less than our current bed. And, no, we did not get a pillowtop.

Good luck in your search!!!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

http://b5.lilypie.com/nD9Jm5.png

Tondi G
08-16-2006, 12:06 PM
We have a Stearns and Foster. Cushion Firm... no plush, no pillowtop! I figured if we wanted to add cushion to it we could buy a feather bed or a mattress pad. I think it helps avoid the hills and valleys issues! I can't say over the long term cause we have only had it for a little over a year.... got it at the end of my pregnancy with Aidan and he's 15 months! Overall we have been super happy with it and it's super comfy but nice and firm!

Honestly in the future if this mattress goes bad on us I would probably just buy a mattress from Costco and replace them more often since the price is good!

I HATED shopping for a mattress... it's the worst. we went to a few places and then found a local small shop that had greta prices on the S&F that we liked!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

dules
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
You own a 14 bedroom beach house? I am falling over myself in awe (and a little bit of jealousy).

Best,
Mary

Radosti
08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Sounds like I was right to be curious about the Tempurpedic, we'll have to go try it out in the store. I have the tempurpedic pillow and I love it.

daniele_ut
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
We have had a Spring Air pillowtop mattress for about 3 years now and I LOVE it. It is the most comfortable bed I've ever owned. At the time we couldn't afford to splurge on something like a Sleep Number or Tempurpedic. We got our King size set on clearance for around $600, about 60% off. We've had no problems with our pillowtop at all. Ours is the type that you supposedly never have to turn. It is only pillowtop on one side. The drawback to it is that I was too nervous to co-sleep with DS until just recently.

ETA: This is the one we have:

http://www.springair.com/www1/backsupporter-poc.htm

bostonsmama
08-16-2006, 01:18 PM
seven beds...14 mat. & box springs

We're really blessed. My dad bought the property 25 years ago before there was even a bridge to the tiny island. He just transferred it to our names (2 brothers and I) when he got remarried so it wouldn't be an asset to get tied up in a potential divorce since it's marriage #3 for him! Dad still gets all the profits, but now, DH and I are pretty much the managers of the property since elder bro is in Japan and little bro is in college on west coast. We've been doing a lot of renovations to it recently. It's a lot of work, but hopefully we'll get a chance to buy them out down the road.

Larissa

JElaineB
08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Ditto everything Deb says. The 7000 is perfect. Plus no flipping!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02