PDA

View Full Version : Mom of 1-year-old looking for parenting books

fattytuna
08-16-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm currently reading "What to Expect the Toddler Years". I have enjoyed both "What to expect when you are expecting" and "What to expect the first year", but have heard that moms who liked the first two were disappointed by this one. What other parenting books would you recommend on toddler development?

BaileyBea
08-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Here's a few I like:

Raising the Successful Child - Dr. Sears
The Happiest Toddler on the Block - Harvey Karp I believe
What to Expect the Toddler Yeas (I look at this as a base but don't take everything it says literally).
Girlfriends Guide to the Toddler Years

I realize I haven't bought too many Toddler books.

southernaccent
08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
"Your baby and child" by penelope leach.

MarisaSF
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
The Emotional Life of the Toddler by Alicia F. Lieberman

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0028740173/sr=8-11/qid=1155823304/ref=pd_bbs_11/002-8173097-2408829?ie=UTF8

brittone2
08-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Playful Parenting by Cohen
Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey
Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen

For a good sense of normal/typical development, the Ames and Ilig series "Your One Year Old," "Your Two Year Old," etc.

I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of the website www.gentlechristianmothers.com. I'm not particularly religious, but that has been one of my favorite resources (and it is free). I really like the non punitive, but non permissive approach, I find it age-appropriate in terms of expectations, sensitive, loving, and effective.

fattytuna
08-23-2006, 01:54 AM
Thank you all for the great info! Just came back from the library today with some titles that you suggested. I've learned to borrow these kind of books from the library first, read through a couple of chapters and then go out and buy the ones I like - lesson learned from buying too many pregnancy books :) I will also check out the website Beth mentioned.