PDA

View Full Version : Is this a sad/funny preview of my old age?

Radosti
08-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I am stubborn, I take after my mom and grandmom. Soooo..... is this a preview of my old age?

I get a phone call today. It's my 84 year old grandmom. She says, "Congratulations!!!" I quickly rack my brain for a holiday or birthday I've missed and come up empty. So, I say "Thank you, but what are you congratulating me with?" She tells me it's my anniversary. I look at my watch and see that I am correct and it's not. However, I am used to this. Ever since I got married on Aug 24, 2003 my grandmom has insisted that I am wrong and I got married on August 23rd. Her evidence in this insistence is that her good friend's birthday is on the 24th and she was at my wedding the day before her friend's birthday. Nothing I've said since has changed her mind.

However, today was a new one. She tells me today is the 23rd and thus my anniversary. I say, "Thank you grandmom, but today is the 16th, and my anniversary is on the 24th." She tells me that I am mistaken, today is the 23rd and it's my anniversary. Then, she tells me that my uncle was almost yelling at her on the phone that my anniversary is on the 24th, but she knows better. It couldn't possibly be on the 24th and today couldn't possibly be the 16th.

By the way, in years past, I've even shown her my framed Ketubbah (the Jewish marriage contract) signed by the rabbi and everyone on the 24th. She insists that we all had the date wrong.

Is this really a preview? Am I really as stubborn as my grandmom???

tarynsmum
08-16-2006, 08:54 AM
I think that is so cute! My grandma was also the world's most stubborn woman (she died a few years ago- wow, has it really been 8 years?). She was 87 when she died, and would, and did, fight us until the day she died. I remember an enjoyable trip to the grocery store where she REFUSED to sit in a wheelchair. She seriously walked extremely slow (being 80 odd years old) and it would have taken us an hour to walk up 2 aisles. She insisted she did not walk slow, we all just walked too fast and needed to slow down ourselves. We actually had a screaming match in the front of the store. I vividly recall getting hit with her cane (I believe she also threw it at a bag boy who was conscientiously trying to help). She never went to the store with us (for this exact reason) and I don't think she ever did again. I was so embarrassed, thinking people would think there was elder abuse going on or something. I never went in that store again (even now, although I doubt anyone would remember me). I was mortified.

By the way, my husband and I had a similar conversation this past weekend. He said something about September 3rd, and I just looked at him blankly. He goes "don't you remember our anniversary?" Well, we only got married a couple months ago, so I had no idea what he was talking about. (He meant our first date anniversary, lol!). I said, "well, I bt you don't even remember our wedding anniversary!" (joking because I thought he would). He paused, then says, "I know it's either the 21st, the 25th, or the 27th [of May]". I just stared at him (since our anniversary is May 24th). He goes "Oh, geez, that's right, it's the 26th! I knew that!". I go, "no, honey, it's the 24th, and for that you're making dinner tonight!" I mean, geez, it was barely two months ago and he doesn't even remember!

bostonsmama
08-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Ohhh, I guess I find it more sad than anything. Are you sure it isn't Alzheimer's? My 87-yr old grandmother has mild dimensia (sp?) and a prior stroke and does some things like this. :( I guess since she's confused it from the beginning, I could see it as stubbon, but now she's mixing dates. I hope all is okay.

Although....my dad does something similar. He's so forgettful. We've seen a thousand movies over the years and sometimes he'll swear he hasn't seen one, even though I could tell him the beginning, middle and end and how he laughed during joke X, Y, Z. But nope, he won't remember, and will rewatch the movie as if it was the FIRST TIME he saw it, sometimes more than once! It's hilarious. But he's only 58, so I know it isn't AH or dimensia.

Anyways....everyday I become more like my parents! Yikes.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, b. 3/06

Radosti
08-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Nope, she's clear as day. She just skipped a week on the calendar and until a friend of hers corrects her, she won't believe me.