PDA

View Full Version : Resources for Kitchen Remodel Ideas

Mamma2004
08-16-2006, 09:43 AM
DH and I are still tossing around ideas for our kitchen and I know many of you have already lived through this process.

We would appreciate your input regarding books, magazines, websites and even B&M stores that might help us on our journey.

TIA!!!
Stephanie

Lynnie
08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
don't have much advice, only some suggestions of what NOT to do: Don't rush it and try to put it all together last minute. Don't obsess over little things until you have an overall plan. Don't go to the home and gardens appliance website and get into a fight with a pysicist named tim about BTUS.

(they do have pretty pictures of finished kitchens, though: http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/ you could check out the pics to get ideas of what you like)

Seriously, I would recommned going to actual kitchen stores, or maybe home depot expo, to get some ideas, then once you have general ideas, you can get help on specific designs and making it work, or do independent research about the various choices and options you have after you have seen and learned about them. We relied upon this guy, who turned out to be a dud, and ended up not going with him a week before it was supposed to start. I tried to do everything online and it was a nightmare. With work and the kids, I didn't have time to go to a store, and it was way too hard to try to start from the beginning online. Even figuring out how to get the granite was a nightmare for a novice.

If you go to stores, you will see all the little gadgets that would be cool to have, and great design ideas.

You may want to consider hiring a kitchen designer. I know nothing about the cost of one, but in retrospect, I wish we'd have had one, even for what was not a major renovation at all. The guy who was supposed to design it and oversee the work really was a dud, and we were left with no plans or ideas or anything other than a basic idea, and the "plans" have morphed several times. I think some kitchen stores offer their services, and they can help with layouts and what not. We knew for example that we wanted to open up a wall, but then when the granite guy came and asked how wide I wanted the counter, the shape, the height, whether I wanted the wall supporting it to be narrow, or to put shelves or a wine fridge under, I had no idea. It was stressful.(but this was because of rush)

Things to consider are
1. budget
2. extent of remodel - total overhall or just update ?
2. what color scheme/style you want
3. types of materials/appliances/sink
4. redoing cabinets or sticking with old
5. what new features you'd like to add
6. lighting/flooring changes

Good luck !! There are some threads here with great ideas for the perfect kitchen. And, if you need help with granite if you are going to go that way, I can give you specific advice to help speed up the learning curve.

crl
08-16-2006, 11:27 AM
www.gardenweb.com has some forums that were useful to us a few years ago.

Good luck!

Lynnie
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
that's the one that has the finished kitchens blog.

I would just advise you to have a pretty good idea of what you want before you go on there. I wasted WAY too much time there, and got frustrated because I didn't even know some of the basics about how to go about doing some things or exactly what we wanted.

But I do agree that some forums were very helpful there.

Mamma2004
08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Thank you both for your suggestions. Yes, I would love to know more about the granite process since we are 98% certain that's the way we'll go.

It is so hard to do much of *anything* IRL with a toddler AND a DH who works long hours.

Is there anything I can do during DS's naps or in the wee hours of the night?

Thank you!
Stephanie

StantonHyde
08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Consumer Reports had a great article on remodeling kitchens within the last 4 months. I love their stuff and consult it before I do anything with my home. You could go to the library or you can download a specific article from their website for like $3. I think the website is consumersunion.com or Google Consumers Reports. Good luck!

Lynnie
08-17-2006, 07:43 AM
This is basic, but it took me a while to learn it.

There are several ways to get granite.

One way is to go to a place that does it all, provides the granite, cuts it to your specifications (fabricates it) and installs it. In those places, you'll pay so much per square foot, but you only pay for the granite you actually use. Ballpark low figures for that here in Miami were ~ $43-45 per square foot. They will have the actual granite slabs for you to select.

Another way is to go to a granite yard and pick the kind of granite you like and buy it by the slab. Then you have to get a separate person to fabricate and install it. The seller usually delivers the slab(s) to the fabricator for you. The average price to fabricate and install the granite here was about $25 per square foot, plus extra sometimes for the sink cut out and whatnot. The price per square foot of granite ranges pretty widely, but the more reasonable ones here were $9.50 to 12.50 per sqaure foot. Often the fabricator can get a discount. Of course, often you don't know a fabricator until you go to the granite yard to look at granite and get a recommendation from them. This way is cheaper - 25 + 9.50 per square foot for blanco romano, for example, instead of 45, BUT, you need to buy the entire slab(s), so you may pay for some you don't use.

They know how many square feet a slab is, I have thankfully forgotten all of the details I had to learn.

There is also prefabricated granite. There is a showroom here called panda granite, which has really great prices, I THINK, but because it is so reasonable, it is super crowded. Went 3 times and never was able to speak with sales person or get quote. so had to give up. Could have been a nice option if I had time during the day to go there and wait.

As far as having it made, the fabricator should come to your house and take a template of the kitchen counters so he/she can make the right size cuts. Just measuring is not as precise.

Ours is not in yet, so I don't know much more, but it took me a long time to figure out the above - hope it helps !

ps there are also some cool alternatives to granite. one is silestone (I think). did not check it out myself, because did not have time to have to deal with more decisions, but I think people on this board have it and love it.

have fun !

KBecks
08-17-2006, 07:57 AM
There's a really good book called Kitchen Re-Dos, I think it's by Jan Wiemer.

Also, I like the www.thathomesite.com forums, I think they're pay forums though (you can read for free)

Lovingliv
08-17-2006, 05:52 PM
I think Larissa (Bostonsmama) is the greatest resource! She gave me invaluable advice....

bostonsmama
08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I should really start saving these emails I send out b/c I have about zero braincells left since starting this treatment. :7

Seriously though, I wonder if a search might bring up some of the great threads that have been brought up over the years. So many mamas here have gorgeous kitchens with great ideas to share.

Feel free to PM me w/ specific questions once you're on your way. I have more content knowledge than general knowledge.

One tip....magazines and pictures are fun, but find out what's liveable and doable for YOUR space and function needs. We started w/ demo, flooring, cabinets, lighting (ask me why you don't do this before cabinets!!!), counters, backsplash, appliances, then paint. It was a multi-year, evolving process, but it wound up pretty nice (IMO)...and my kitchen space continues to evolve. It's kinda fun.

Good luck and let us know how it goes along the way.

Larissa
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure." Rom 5:3

Proud Aunt to Jack Dorian, b. 3/06

kristenk
08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Lynnie, where do you find a kitchen designer? We won't be remodeling for quite some time, but I'm starting to look at ideas and file things away in my brain (like how to locate a kitchen designer!) for later. :)

Lucia
08-18-2006, 06:48 AM
This website is a good place to get ideas and also search for kitchen designers in your area. Good luck! We are just starting our kitchen remodel and keeping our fingers crossed that it will go well. www.nkba.org

I also owe a lot to suggestions from others on BBB board in some previous kitchen threads...thanks again, you guys are great!