PDA

View Full Version : Long shot--does anyone recognize this problem?

s7714
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Has anyone heard of a condition or situation where a (still in utero) baby's abdomen isn't developing right (measuring a month or more behind schedule size wise) because of some kind of lack of nutrients?

Someone I know is experiencing this and we're not having any luck finding info. (other than some pretty scary non-related stuff!) Her doctors aren't so concerned that they're rushing to get the baby out, but they are doing a scheduled c/s soon.

Has anyone here heard of a condition like this?

TIA for any help!
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
(100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

megs4413
08-16-2006, 12:08 PM
are you talking about IUGR? is just the abdomen small or is the head circumference and thigh bone measurement off as well? those are the three things they typically use to gauge size though some just use the abdomen and thigh bone.

IUGR is intra-uterine growth restriction. there is also a condition where the placenta isn't functiongig properly though the details of that are less familiar to me.

i'm sorry your friend is dealing with this..i hope it's nothing!

dhano923
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
If you mean IUGR (Intra Uterine Growth Restriction), I had it with DS. I developed an aging placenta towards the end of my pregnancy and it wasnt' supplying enough nutrients to him. He measured roughly 3 weeks smaller than my actual pregnancy weeks. They ended up inducing me at 38.5 weeks because they said it was better for him to be out of the womb earlier and receive the nutrition he needed as opposed to staying in and possibly not receiving enough nutrition. The perinatologist had estimated his weight to be around 5 lb 8 oz but when he was born he was 6 lb 3 oz which was good.

My friend just had b/g twins and she also had IUGR and her twins were 4 lb 6 oz and 3 lb 10 oz at 38 weeks gestation (she was also induced because of the IUGR).

s7714
08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Everything is measuring spot on for her gestation (37 weeks) except for the abdomen. I'll look up IUGR though, thanks!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

s7714
08-16-2006, 05:23 PM
>They ended up inducing me at 38.5 weeks because they
>said it was better for him to be out of the womb earlier and
>receive the nutrition he needed as opposed to staying in and
>possibly not receiving enough nutrition.

That's exactly what her doctors are saying as well. I'd heard of something like this happening with twins, but I didn't realize it could happen with singles as well.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05