PDA

View Full Version : SCAM WARNING: PayPal e-mail

saschalicks
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I just got in my personal e-mail a message saying I paid so and so for a dress I did not pay for and if I didn't to click here. It looked EXACTLY like a receipt you get from PayPal. I was pissed thinking someone was hacking into my account. I was about to "reply" when I thought hmmm let me check my paypal account. I logged into PayPal in a separate window and guess what, no payment to that idiot was made from my paypal.

So, long story short, please beware not to click on the e-mail. Check your account first. I'm sure I would've had them hacking into my account like no tomorrow if I had.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
If ever in doubt, go to the security section of paypal. They have a form to fill out if you think you have a fake email. They get back very quickly and it helps them fight back.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security-center-outside

I had a similar experience and they cleared it up in a matter of minutes. If you don't check, you could give someone a lot of private info!

HTH!

Momof3Labs
08-16-2006, 02:16 PM
You don't even have to do that - you can just forward the e-mail to [email protected] and they will reply quickly to you.

One give-away is when it does not refer to you by the name under which your account is registered - then it is almost always a phishing e-mail and should be deleted.

jgriffin
08-16-2006, 11:24 PM
DH told me today that he got a very official looking email from eBay asking him to update his info. The webpage the email pointed to WAS NOT eBay, but looked just like an eBay page, and all of the links on this page were to eBay. The address bar at the top of the browser was what clued him in to it not being eBay (besides the fact that eBay doesn't send out emails like this to our knowledge).