PDA

View Full Version : tubal ligation vs. vasectomy

happy2bamom
08-17-2006, 07:05 AM
I am due with our second (and last) baby in September. I am having a c-section b/c of complications from my first delivery. So, I am struggling with having my tubes tied during the c-section (since the doctor will already be in there) OR my husband having a vasectomy (which he has volunteered to do).

I know that in general the vasectomy is a simplier procedure (outpatient) than the tubal, but since I'll already be opened-up for the c-section I feel a little guilty having my DH go through a separate procedure. At the same time, I wonder if the recovery is different for me with the additional procedure. And, I know that this is pure vanity, but my sister thinks that it is more difficult to lose weight after a tubal (this is based purely on her personal experience).

So, any experience with a tubal after a c-section and that whole process?

Thanks!

o_mom
08-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Don't have any first hand experience, but I have read that tubals have a higher failure rate when done with a C-section.

JBaxter
08-17-2006, 07:35 AM
You may want to google post tubal ligation syndrome. I worked with a woman who had issues with it.

happy2bamom
08-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Those are some scary symptoms. I never even considered the hormonal effects on my body after having a tubal. Pretty sure that I'm leaning toward the vasectomy now. Thanks for the info.

bcky2
08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
i have horrible issues now that i had my tubes tied. my doc now says my only option to cure some of the problems is a hysterectomy, so not an option for me but i do know others that have ended up going that route. if i knew then what i know now i would never have done it. but then again i know others who have had it done and have not had the issues that i do. also there is a bigger failure rate when done during a c-section. also just in case you ever do change your mind and want another baby a vasectomy is easier to reverse :)

boogiemom
08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Well, I had a tubal done after my last c-section for basically the reasons you are considering it. My DH was going to get a vasectomy but once we decided to have our 2nd via planned c-section, we chose to get the tubal at that time. It meant that DH didn't have to go thru a separate procedure. In speaking with my DR., the extra procedure only added a few minutes (literally like 5 min.) to the c-section. There was no added recovery for me. I was up and moving around pretty quickly.

As for reasons not to do it at that time, I never did come up with any. I don't understand how it could affect weight loss at all. Actually my Dr. said that a tubal during the c-section was the absolute most complete way to do a tubal. Atleast this was the case the way he did mine. There are varying degrees to which a tubal can be performed. Doing a tubal while they are already "in there" provides the opportunity to cut the tubes, remove a piece and then basically burn the ends. That's what I had done.

I do know a couple of people who had tubals done later and via an incision near the bellybutton. They wished they had done it after c-section as this procedure then resulted in another recovery. Also, this way is not as effective according to my Dr.

I also have a very good friend who chose not to do the tubal after c-section and her husband did have a vasectomy approx. 6 mos. after their baby was born. He had agreed to it long ago but actually getting him to the appt. was a bit of a struggle. :) They both felt awkward when it came time to obtain "samples" before and after. Also, they had to use birth control for several months afterwards until a sample showed everything to be clear. Not to mention the fact that he was very uncomfortable for a couple of days. She wished she had done it after her c-section when all was said and done. Of course, this was only after she witnessed my recovery and saw for herself that I had no extra complications from doing it that way.

I'm sure that there are stories out there of people who wished they hadn't done it like I did. I just don't know of any and I have no regrets.

Good luck making your decision. We didn't take the decision lightly and discussed it quite a bit before making the final decision. You have to do what your family is comfortable with. I believe I've heard that it is easier to reverse a vasectomy if you think that may ever be a possibility.

ETA: FWIW here is a link to an article that basically sums up the info. that my Dr. gave me on this issue.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5927091/

jasabo
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
I had a tubal with my planned c/s. We knew already that we didn't want more kids and it seemed most logical to me to have it done while I was having my c/s. I had no problems, went home after 48 hours and had no problems with recovery - I'd do it again in a minute. Likewise, I used to be a L&D nurse and we often did tubals for patients while they were having their c/s and there weren't any problems.

To me, it made more sense to have it done while I was having my c/s rather then send dh in for an entirely seperate procedure and have to deal with his recovery while I had twins to care for. Of course, their surgery is done in the doc's office and they're not supposed to have a lot of pain or complications. However, I know a few men who've had the surgery and they were in a LOT of pain for a few days....I selfishly didn't want to put up with dh complaining while I was stuck doing all the work for the twins ;)

As for difficulty losing weight, I think that's completely up to the individual. For me, that wouldn't play a part in my decision making.

o_mom
08-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Just for balance, google post vasectomy problems...

happy2bamom
08-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Lisa,
I'm so glad that I am not the only one who has considered the cons of dealing with DHs recovery, if he has the vasectomy. (Let me preface this by saying he is a wonderful DH ) But, he is such a baby when he is sick, so I do worry about how long it will take him to recover from the procedure. Which, as you mentioned, means more work for me with the kiddos.

I guess I need to do some more research. I"m sure that there are people with positive and negative experiences with either procedure. I want to choose the easiest route possible, for both of us.

jd11365
08-17-2006, 12:22 PM
My new ob said a positive is that women who have a tubal ligation have a decreased risk of ovarian cancer. Just another postive to weigh on your pros and cons list.

mommyto4
08-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I've had two c-sections (19 1/2 months apart). The recovery was no worse after the second (my tubes were tied w/ this c-section) than with the first. I had it done because I could see no reason for my husband to have a vasectomy when I would already be opened for the c-section anyway. I've had no problems.

dr mom
08-18-2006, 03:08 AM
For even more balance, after you do your google search - which leads you to a website that solicits financial donations in support of dubious legislation and promotes the author's book on the subject - you might find more balanced information by doing a Medline search and looking at the medical literature. I'm not discounting the possibility of Tubal Ligation Syndrome, just suggesting you look at several different sources of information, and discuss them with your Gyn.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

egoldber
08-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Honestly, personally I couldn't do either one. I think you never know what life can deal you and even though you may feel SURE you don't want more children now, that could change in a few years. If you look at the thread on child spacing, you'll see a lot of people who changed their minds about the number of children they wanted over the years.

ETA: And I do "know" a lot of women on-line who have experienced regret and depression following their tubals. I think this is more common than people realize or than many women may report back to their caregivers about.

emilyf
08-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I agree-I'm pretty sure I don't want more kids, but if something were to happen to my dh, and I were to get remarried I wouldn't want to have lost that option-extremely unlikely I know but not out of the realm of possiblity. It's funny, dh and I had that same thought and were laughing when we said "I don't want to have any more kids with YOU, but..."
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

mommyoftwo
08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree with you about suffering from regret and depression. I had a tubal done out of medical necessity and even though I know it was the right decision, it is still very hard to deal with. I think there is something about making it permanent so that you can never change your mind. I wish more people would talk about that happening. For us it was a no brainer to have me get a tubal. I was the one who had a body that couldn't tolerate another pregnancy. If something happened to me, I wanted my husband to have the ability to have more children should he desire it. Still, it has been an extrememly difficult thing for me to deal with.

jermak
08-18-2006, 04:46 PM
My experience echos those of the other mom's here who had it done during their c-section. I had a c with #2 after having an emergency c with #1 and knowing that #2 was even larger and more likely to have problems! I'm 38 and DH is over 12 years older so we knew that we were blessed to have 2 wonderful kids and that we didn't want more so I opted for to have my tube tied (due to health reasons, I only have one). IT took only a few minutes longer than the "regular" c-section and the doctor cut out and removes a piece of the tube so I'm not sure why it would fail. It didnt' affect my weight either way. Breastfeeding has the biggest impact there. My recovery was not affected in the least by the additional procedure. I do it again in a mintute. Now if it weren't during the c-section I might have debated it more as to which of us should have a procedure!

Good luck making your decision!