PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for the best sugar free chocolates anyone?

asha
08-17-2006, 04:18 PM
My dad and an uncle of mine are diabetic. They are also real chocolate lovers. In India, we dont really get any chocolates that are safe for diabetic patients. So, everytime I visit I try to get some from here.

I am visiting again in 3 weeks and would like to get some chocolates for them. In the past I have bought them from Trader Joes and Costco. Costco was having a special two years ago around christmas time, so it was just seasonal. This was before I discovered this board and the people here. Now that I have this wonderful source of information, I am hoping to make a more informed decision.

So, ladies any recommendations?
TIA

jgriffin
08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I haven't tried them myself, but DH's grandmother says that the Godiva sugar-free chocolates we gave her for Christmas were really good. Now, she might just have been being polite, but if you have a store near you, you could go and ask for a sample.

Jen

sidmand
08-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I've tried many many and so has my grandmother and she swears by Amber Lyn chocolate http://www.amberlynchocolates.com/

I found most others are not good. Actually, I heard particularly bad reviews of the Godiva ones, but that might just be certain ones.

Do you know if they have problems with maltitol? I personally do and so I haven't had too much of the Amber Lyn chocolates (Grandma doesn't!). I found anything with erythritol, Splenda, or xylitol worked fine for me but many of the sugar free chocolates have a lot of maltitol and as it says on the box, "may cause laxative effect"!!!

Usually the more cocoa, the better the resulting effect to your sugar, so I even go for regular chocolate from Lindt, but the 70% and up dark chocolate cocoa kind.

Also the Trader Joe's truffles--not technically sugar free, but very low in carbs and shouldn't have a tremendous effect on blood sugar (I'm also diabetic). I found most of the other Trader Joe's sugar free chocolate was loaded with maltitol so that was out, but I bought almost all of their truffles! They come in a rhombus shaped box and it's something like 8 carbs for 3 truffles.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

jgriffin
08-17-2006, 08:33 PM
TJ truffles rule! I don't think they're TJ brand, though, as I'm pretty sure I've seen them elsewhere.

I think Grandma was just being polite, then. Or maybe she was just happy to have her own box of chocolate. :)