PDA

View Full Version : Tasteful way to ask for books as bday gifts?

mtrattner
08-17-2006, 04:34 PM
I thought I saw a cute limmerick or something on this site at one time. My friend's son's bday is coming up and they are moving in to a 40 foot trailer for a short time and don't have room to hold many toys. He is going to be 2 so she thought books or movies would be great to save space. It is a little awkward to ask for specific gifts but they really don't have the space right now and don't want to have to put more things in storage.

Thanks for any ideas.

miki
08-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Do you mean a way to ask on the invitation? Personally, I don't really think there is a tasteful way to do that. The only kind of gift-related statement that I think is ok to put on a party invitation is to say, "No gifts, please." There are always people who ask me what DD needs after the invitations are received. I would take that opportunity to point them in the direction of books.

miki
08-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Do you mean a way to ask on the invitation? Personally, I don't really think there is a tasteful way to do that. The only kind of gift-related statement that I think is ok to put on a party invitation is to say, "No gifts, please." There are always people who ask me what DD needs after the invitations are received. I would take that opportunity to point them in the direction of books.

saschalicks
08-18-2006, 01:56 PM
You could always call the theme of the party a bring your favorite childhood book and then say no gifts please. Does that make any sense?

saschalicks
08-18-2006, 01:56 PM
You could always call the theme of the party a bring your favorite childhood book and then say no gifts please. Does that make any sense?

kelly ann
08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree - if they are short on space, then maybe a "no gifts please" is the best idea. However, if your friend doesn't want to do that, then how about working books into the theme of the party. Maybe there is a way to express in the invite that it is a book party since her son loves books so much...sometimes this is a hint to guests.

Check out these ideas for a book party...I really like the idea of a book exchange.

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/book_party.html

kelly ann
08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree - if they are short on space, then maybe a "no gifts please" is the best idea. However, if your friend doesn't want to do that, then how about working books into the theme of the party. Maybe there is a way to express in the invite that it is a book party since her son loves books so much...sometimes this is a hint to guests.

Check out these ideas for a book party...I really like the idea of a book exchange.

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/book_party.html