PDA

View Full Version : Military wives/Japan?

katiesmommy
08-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Any military wives in here ever been to Japan? My husband just put in for Iwakuni, Japan. And I have a few questions! Did you take your car? Does the military ship the car for you? Did you have to get a Japanese license to drive on base? I really don't want to have to walk home from the commisary with bags of groceries in my arms while trying to hold onto my daughter. What is car insurance like over there? So basically any info you have regarding moving to Japan and taking cars with you would be helpful. Thanks.

nfowife
08-17-2006, 06:17 PM
We haven't lived in Japan (yet!). We have friends heading over to yokosuka in the next few months. You can't take any cars with you, but the military will store one car stateside for when you get back. When you get there you will buy a car (everyone does). You will have to take a driving class on base to learn the rules over there, and I believe there is some sort of international driver license thing you can easily get, or just use your US one with your military ID. No idea on car insurance, though. This is all info from my friend so I don't know much more than what I have asked her out of curiosity. Sounds like a fun adventure though!

MartiesMom2B
08-17-2006, 06:54 PM
I know that Lucia's family was in Okinawa. Hopefully she can help out.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

katiesmommy
08-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info.

JTsMom
08-17-2006, 09:41 PM
I spent a couple years at Misawa AB. It's been so long, I can't remember about the insurance, but ditto the pp- drivers liscence is easy to get. You'll get used to driving on the other side of the road quickly! I do remember the COLA was really high, so enjoy that part!

urquie
08-18-2006, 12:03 AM
i got an international license from aaa (american automobile assoc.) a number of years back. i think the fee was pretty nominal and all we had to do was fill out a little paperwork.

here is some info from the zzz website... (the website is much easier to read - http://www.aaawa.com/travel/tips_info/idp_faq.asp?zip=98053)

International Driving Permit FAQs
Why should I carry an International Driving Permit on my next overseas trip?
The International Driving Permit (IDP) provides important information regarding your driver's license in eleven different languages, including English. When carried in conjunction with a regular drivers license, the IDP can help break down language barriers when traveling in non-English speaking countries. In addition, the IDP provides an additional source of identification; as an official document, the IDP is recognized in more than 150 countries today, by virtue of a treaty signed in 1949 by the U.S. and other foreign countries. The nominal $10 charge for an IDP buys priceless peace of mind.
Do I need an IDP in order to drive in foreign countries?
Some countries do not recognize a drivers license from the U.S., but they officially recognize an IDP (e.g. Hungary). Other countries honor a U.S. drivers license, but require a local language translation (e.g. Spain). The IDP satisfies both situations. However, although a country's government may not require an IDP, car rental companies in that country, such as Hertz, may require an IDP. Obtaining an IDP prior to departure can prevent potential hassles.
How do I obtain an IDP?
Complete a brief application form (available online or your nearest AAA office); provide two (2) passport-sized photographs with your signature on the back of them; provide a photocopy of your valid U.S. issued drivers license; and include a check or money order for $11.88 (the $10 permit fee, $0.88 tax and $1 for domestic mailing) in U.S. funds. You can either deliver this to a AAA office and receive your IDP while you wait, or you can mail the package to a AAA office in the U.S.
Can a foreign national visting the U.S. obtain an IDP from AAA?
An IDP must be issued in the same country that issued the drivers license. Therefore, if someone has a U.K. drivers license, their IDP must also be issued in the U.K.
I have a U.S. drivers license, but I am a citizen of another country. Where do I get my IDP?
The IDP must be issued in the same country that issued the drivers license. If your drivers license is issued in the U.S., the IDP must also be issued in the U.S. Contact your nearest AAA office.
My drivers license is from a U.S. territory (Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands); where do I get my IDP?
If your drivers license has been issued by a U.S. possession, your IDP should be issued in the U.S. Contact a AAA office in the U.S., and the IDP can be mailed to them.
Hong Kong has been transferred from Great Britain to China; do I need an IDP to drive in Hong Kong?
The United Nations has notified the U.S. State Department that the treaty which applies to Hong Kong, at present, will continue to apply to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the name given to the territory by China. This notification should not be construed to mean that China now recognizes IDPs; the People's Republic of China is not a party to the treaty.
What happens if I receive a traffic citation when using my IDP?
The IDP holds no powers of its own; the IDP is valid only when carried in conjunction with a drivers license. Therefore, there is no separate driving record with an IDP. If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer when traveling in a foreign country, give the officer your U.S. drivers license and the IDP. If you receive a citation, it will be reflected on the driving record associated with your drivers license.
©2006 AAA Washington/Inland Customer Service: 1.800.562.2582 Employment

denna
08-18-2006, 12:52 AM
I did not realize there was military wives on here! Yay im so excited. My husband and I are in Italy now, and as far as it goes here the drivers license we get is an AFI license that allows you to drive anywhere in Italy. You must carry your stateside license w/ you at all times, and it was free of charge. You did have to take a class and pass a written test just on the local laws, etc.
The AFI license is basically just a translation of your stateside license. You can not ship a car, like pp's have said but they will store one for you...
And COLA is great if you have never been overseas you'll really like the COLA! And the utilities pay.
Well it would be great to chat w/ all of you again.

Take care and good luck w/ the move...

Denna

Lucia
08-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Hi Kathryn,
We are a Navy family just finishing up three years in Okinawa (we move back to the States on Tuesday). We have LOVED it here. This actually my second time living in Japan..I was an English teacher on the JET program from 95'-96' (any former or current JET folks on this board?). When I lived in Japan the first time, I lived in an area sort of close to Iwakuni and I hope we will have the chance to get stationed there in the future. It is near Hiroshima and one of the major Shinkansen (bullet train) stations so you would have fast and easy access to many different parts of Japan.

Anyway, to answer your questions. I would not recommend bringing a car. The Japanese have different standards than the US for emissions controls and it isn't easy to bring cars from the States. But the bigger issue is size! It is easy to find used Japanese cars and much easier to drive a smaller Japanese car on the small road than a larger Japanese car. Also, the Japanese drive on the opposite side of the road.

In regards to licensing, you will have to take a written test on base and you will be given a special SOFA status license that is used in conjunction with your American license. Insurance is easy to get and not outrageous. The biggest issue is adjusting to smaller roads and driving on the opposite of the road. The nicest thing is that in general the Japanese are very polite drivers. Funny to see all the bowing of heads that takes place at intersections!

Japan is a great place to live with children. It is a very child friendly culture with lots of parks, amazing kids meals in restaurants, breastfeeding rooms in public areas like dept. stores, museums, and most importantly the Japanese people are very welcoming and friendly. We are sad to be leaving and hope to return for another tour in the future. Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions you might have about living in Japan or military issues living overseas.

Lucia
08-18-2006, 02:38 AM
oops sorry for mispelling your name in my reply. Kathlynn is a very pretty and unique name!

katiesmommy
08-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks so much for everything. I may be e-mailing you in the near future with more questions, as of right now, we don't even know for sure if we are going there. All we know is that DH put in for it. Where are you moving to stateside now?

katiesmommy
08-18-2006, 11:07 AM
That's what I've heard about the COLA. We are really looking forward to that. Thanks so much for the info.

Lucia
08-18-2006, 04:38 PM
We are moving to Jacksonville, Florida. Regarding COLA...it was just announced this week that COLA in Japan will be reduced. Check into it a little more to find out more details about Iwakuni. Good luck with your next duty station. I always enjoy considering the possible destinations. And yes, feel free to e-mail with any questions!

Lucia
08-18-2006, 04:38 PM
We are moving to Jacksonville, Florida. Regarding COLA...it was just announced this week that COLA in Japan will be reduced. Check into it a little more to find out more details about Iwakuni. Good luck with your next duty station. I always enjoy considering the possible destinations. And yes, feel free to e-mail with any questions!