PDA

View Full Version : creative gift ideas for a 65th wedding anniv for a couple that has everything!

urquie
08-18-2006, 01:52 AM
my grandparents are treating a large family to a long resort weekend to celebrate their 65th anniversary. i would love to find a special gift for them, but it's so hard when they truly don't want or need anything (they are very well off).

we usually send them flowers or wine, but there won't be enough time to enjoy those over the weekend. they will also be leaving directly for a cruise on the opposite coast so it's not practical to give them anything they would have to carry on their continued travels.

also the $$ value can be flexible. it could be just from my immediate family or the cost could be split between 2-7 more families.

i would be most appreciative of any creative ideas!

eta: time is short - the reunion party is in 7 days.

kedss
08-18-2006, 06:26 AM
hmmm... how much time before the party/cruise? Maybe you could put together a photo album for them? Something that the family could do over the next few months and give it to them when they get back from the cruise or as a Christmas present?

I would do something like that as opposed to something they could get from anywhere, ya know?

or you could start working on a family genealogy if no one has really started doing that?

deenass
08-18-2006, 06:32 AM
How about sending flowers/and or wine to their room on the cruise ship, it will be there when they arrive with a note from the senders. Most cruise lines also will send an "onboard credit" for a spa treatment (if that is something they would like to do)

You can contact the cruise line for their "gift form".

Momof3Labs
08-18-2006, 07:00 AM
How about a professional group family photo? Or a photo of all of the kids together?

millerpjm
08-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Do you live in or near a large city, or a city with any kind of professional theater? What about a gift certificate to a theater or dinner theater? That way they could have a special night out.

Jen

ethansmom
08-18-2006, 08:10 AM
This is what I did (prof. family photo shoot) for my gparent's 60th. It's not often the entire family can get together so it was the perfect opportunity and meant so much to them. Now that they are gone, it means so much to the rest of us, too.

BaileyBea
08-18-2006, 08:20 AM
MY FIL for xmas received a quilt to hang on the wall with photos of him and his brother on it. It was a great gift. Very touching.

I suggest scanning in images/photographs of their lives, children, grandchildren etc..

Printing them on printable fabric (you can buy this at any fabric store it runs about $10 for 5-6 sheets). You can print these squares from any ink jet printer. And you or someone in the family that sews can make them a quilt, wall quilt, or pillows that they can use.

If no one sews why not consider hiring a quilter to help out. Check the local craft store for names on their business bulletin board.

Another idea is to scan in photographs and have them developed into a DVD.

VClute
08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
My brother-in-law just did a wonderful thing for his parents. The church where they were married was being remodeled and the pews were being torn out. He bought a pew and cut it down to make it a bench for their front porch.

Where were your grandparents married? Maybe a token from the church or the town?

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

momma_boo
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
This is what I was going to suggest.
I'm sure it's not often that you have a large group together, so it might be nice to hire a professional photographer to take photos.

It's probably something that everyone would like to have (not just your grandparents).

urquie
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
i had this same idea! holland america sent me their gift form, but i was surprised at the lack of options. i expected better options because i've ordered a gift from a less expensive cruise line and loved their options... at least the one i bought. :) we still might go this route though and do some other group gift.

urquie
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
we've all been sending emails about this idea and we'll be doing it for sure! we had some wonderful photos of this same group taken about 5 years ago! we kind of decided that the pics from our own cameras were good enough. we all have a big framed copy from that last trip and i've been using it to teach dd the names of her extended family :)

janeybwild
08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
For my Dad's 70th, I stole an idea from here, and it was a huge hit. I bought a lovely keepsakes box, and then on strips of paper wrote 70 happy memories/thoughts about my Dad. He loved it. You could do something similar getting the whole family to contribute, inlcuding pics. Sounds like you need something personal since $$ for them is not a problem (they are treating everyone right?). You could present it at a special dinner with other small gifts.

urquie
08-18-2006, 04:21 PM
that's a nice thought - i'll look into it. i'll have to be careful about theater dates as they travel a lot!

urquie
08-18-2006, 04:21 PM
that's a nice thought - i'll look into it. i'll have to be careful about theater dates as they travel a lot!

urquie
08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
what a wonderful gift!

shilo
08-19-2006, 11:21 AM
ok, LOVE that...

i'm definitely stealing that one for my mom's 60th next april.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Marisa6826
08-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Why not get them a domain name in their honour? Either you or a family member can then upload pictures, stories, anecdotes, etc.

We did that for a very good friend as a wedding gift. They loved it!

-m

Ceepa
08-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Hmm. I think I lost my last post so here we go again ...

I've had this site bookmarked for a while. I've thought about getting the families together to do this for my ILs' anniversary (they also don't *need* anything).

A framed print picture is made with lots of personalized references. They're really incredible and the turn around time is fairly short (though not soon enough to make it to your party, but maybe a good delayed present!) I don't have personal experience with it, but it looks really neat:

http://www.yourmemorylane.com/index.htm

Let us know what you end up doing!

-Ceepa

mariza
08-20-2006, 01:18 PM
If they (or any of the family) have old video on reel film, you can convert it to DVD. Then during the party playit on a screen in the background.

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1"
and soon to arrive "Thing 2"

prettybutton
08-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I have my in laws 50th to shop for. They have all they wish for. We have no time or access to momentos to do something special or unique (date is in less than two weeks). They didn't want a party.

So, being 2000 miles away, I am thinking of getting them a Cieva picture frame where we upload the photos. They have a computer but are somewhat computer illiterate.

http://www.ceiva.com/home/hp/index.jsp

My kids and I are going to think of some extra special anniversary themed pictures for the first upload.

Does anyone have experience with this Cieva device?

Thanks, Prettybutton