PDA

View Full Version : TTC #2

HIU8
08-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Just a quick question... DH and I are TTC baby #2. On average, how long is it taking people to become PG? It has so far been 4 months for us.

Thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04

happy2bamom
08-18-2006, 07:51 AM
The literature says that on "average" it takes couples between 6 -9 months to conceive. Most doctors won't get involved in the process (fertility tests) until a couple has been trying for a year.

That being said, DH & I were fortunate in that we conceived during the first month of TTC for both of our children. As you probably expected, there is a wide spectrum on how long it takes couples to conceive.

Good luck!

KBecks
08-18-2006, 08:02 AM
For our first, I had some problems, and so it took a while, and then we were on clomid for one month before getting pregnant.

For our second, it took about 3 or 4 months.

Have you read, Taking Charge of Your Fertility? It helps to get the feel for when you are ovulating.

I also think that you should try to "go for it" every day or every other day for a few days when you think you are ovulating, just to have more chances of getting the right time.

Even if an egg is fertilized, it may not implant, so even if you get everything right timing wise, it still may take a few tries to become pregnant.

Good luck!

bcky2
08-18-2006, 08:14 AM
we didnt try for the first one and we became pregnant within 10 months of no birth control. our second one we got lucky, we got pregnant the first month we tried and we only did the deed once. it varies so much i wouldnt worry yet if i were you.

crAbbymom
08-18-2006, 08:16 AM
We really thought I would have trouble conceiving. My dh had been through chemo and the cancer itself was likely to cause fertility problems. So we bought the Clearblue Fertility monitor and ended up conceiving the 1st month! With the 2nd, I made sure we tried on the same days of my cycle. (had lent out the monitor) Again, I conceived the 1st month. I WAS SHOCKED!

A friend, using her monitor, took 3 months to conceive the 1st time.

Another friend took a year to conceive. Our friendship suffered because I didn't know she was trying and had ended up PG w/ #2 so quickly. She had wanted us to be PG at the same time....

These are the only people I KNOW tried... I have a lot of friends that were "surprised"...multiple times! ;)

egoldber
08-18-2006, 08:17 AM
It depends on your age. "They" say it takes an everage couple 4 to 6 months of TTC to get pregnant if you are under 35. They don't recommend seeking an infertility consult until after a year of TTC if the woman is younger than 35. If you are 35 or older, they recommend seeing someone after 6 months of active trying.

megs4413
08-18-2006, 09:02 AM
it took us longer than i expected with #2....we got pregnant with #1 on literally one "try" and then #2 took 4 cycles. I would encourage you to read Taking Charge of your Fertility. You can also check out fertilityfriend.com. GOOD LUCK! BABYDUST to you!!!!!

jillc
08-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi Heather,

Hang in there. I know it is incredibly frustrating. I had a ton of friends pop up pregnant when we were TTC #2 - like about 10 friends. It was really tough. It seems to vary so much from baby to baby... I have friends who tried for 12 months to TTC #1 & then only 1 month for #2...

We tried for two months with DD, and got pregnant using the ovulation predictor kit.

This time, it took 7 months. We used the predictor kit about 4 of those months.

So frustrating. I just kept repeating my mantra: "When the right baby is ready for us, we'll get him/her."

Wishing you lots of luck!
Jill

tarynsmum
08-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Same here with the Clomid (I"ve decided it's the wonder drug for me). We were trying for 3 or 4 months, I had a routine check-in with my GYN, who said we could "try out" the clomid for a couple months to see what happens, and lo and behold, that first month was a BFP!

Seriously, though, I think everyone's different.

HIU8
08-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I guess I'm just worried. I will be 36 in January. With DS #1, we got PG on the second try. But, we were seeing an RE because DH is sterile and we had to use donor sperm and do an IUI. The first try I had a blighted ovum and success on the second month. We didn't have to use an meds and I only did the POAS ovulation prediction kits. This time things are different. I am tracking BBT and ovulation, CM etc... The first two times the IUI didn't work (still not meds). The second time I noticed my luteal phase was only 10 days (never been that short before). We skipped IUI on third try and just did it the old fashioned way (still monitoring BBT, o and CM) even though we know that it would take a miracle. I will end up going for antoher IUI around labor day. My RE says that if I don't become PG this time he will run tests on me and possibly start with clomid. One friend took 13 tries on clomid doing an IUI. I guess I'm just anxious, but I know it will happen when it is right.

thanks,
Heather
DS 11/27/04

jhaud
08-18-2006, 09:25 AM
i'll give you the other end of the spectrum... dd took us 2.5 years (pg in the cycle after had hystosalpingogram to check tubes)... so i thought ttc #2 would be quick... well, we're now at 13 months. i just turned 35 in june and will be scheduling an appt soon. (as an added tmi bonus we had a mc in july of last year - the month before we were ttc. and then in nov/dec had complications - so, most likely those few months i was unable to get pg?? but i am still counting those months as we were trying.

good luck on your ttc journey, and i hope you will have success soon.

searchdog
08-18-2006, 10:35 AM
DH and I are lucky in that we got pregnant both times the first month we tried, but I hear others say we are lucky since it usually takes people several months.

JulieL
08-18-2006, 10:55 AM
First time was a complete shock, on bc even. Second time took 9 months, with 6 of that charting on www.fertilityfriend.com and using the TCOYF book for help on fertile signs and so forth. It seems like forever when your trying doesn't it. Hang in there ususally it comes within a year of trying.

jvorhis
08-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I got pregnant with Emma right away so I thought #2 would be no problem. It has been a year and after 2 mc we are still trying. It has been a rough year but I am hopeful that things will work out. My doctor has been great and ran a ton of tests after mc #2 and says everything looks good so we shall see.

alleyoop
08-18-2006, 01:10 PM
The first one(I was 31) took 7mo, with success on the month we started OPKs. The second took 11mo, the whole time using OPKs and the last 6mo charting EVERYTHING. As it turns out, we got pg on the 9-11th of January both times: they even had the same due date! Now we joke that we only have to use BC in January.

Hang in there! The wait is excruciating.

alleyoop
08-18-2006, 01:10 PM
The first one(I was 31) took 7mo, with success on the month we started OPKs. The second took 11mo, the whole time using OPKs and the last 6mo charting EVERYTHING. As it turns out, we got pg on the 9-11th of January both times: they even had the same due date! Now we joke that we only have to use BC in January.

Hang in there! The wait is excruciating.

ltmommy
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I am going through this too. I wasn't even sure I was totally ready when we started ttc DD; I figured we'd see what happened, but I had a job I liked a lot, and everything was ok. Got pregnant on the second try, though.

I started to get the bug for another last fall, but then I decided I didn't really want another summer baby, then in the winter I thought I didn't want to mess up a trip we had planned for 12/06, so I finally started trying in April. It has only been 4 cycles so far, but I am so frustrated. My cycles are about 6 weeks long, but then last month it was only 5 weeks. And I am so mad at myself, because we should have just gone ahead and started trying last year. Not to mention that it seems like every kid in DD's preschool class either already has a younger sibling or mom's expecting... I went around beating myself up for a few months for not planning this better so they would be 2 years apart, but I am thinking 3 would be ok too.

That makes me feel better about the 6 - 9 month average, though. I have been really lazy about charting so far, but I might have to check into the ClearBlue monitor. I also have my annual exam next month, so we'll see what the doc says.

Leslie
DD 7.04

ltmommy
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
I am going through this too. I wasn't even sure I was totally ready when we started ttc DD; I figured we'd see what happened, but I had a job I liked a lot, and everything was ok. Got pregnant on the second try, though.

I started to get the bug for another last fall, but then I decided I didn't really want another summer baby, then in the winter I thought I didn't want to mess up a trip we had planned for 12/06, so I finally started trying in April. It has only been 4 cycles so far, but I am so frustrated. My cycles are about 6 weeks long, but then last month it was only 5 weeks. And I am so mad at myself, because we should have just gone ahead and started trying last year. Not to mention that it seems like every kid in DD's preschool class either already has a younger sibling or mom's expecting... I went around beating myself up for a few months for not planning this better so they would be 2 years apart, but I am thinking 3 would be ok too.

That makes me feel better about the 6 - 9 month average, though. I have been really lazy about charting so far, but I might have to check into the ClearBlue monitor. I also have my annual exam next month, so we'll see what the doc says.

Leslie
DD 7.04

HIU8
08-18-2006, 02:00 PM
DH and I actually wanted to have children at least 2-2.5 years apart, so we didn't start until June 06 TTC again. I just don't remember it being so frustrating last time. With DS #1, I went off birth control in September and gave my body time to re-regulate, we had our first IUI in February and were PG in March. Now,each time I go into the IUI with such high hopes. I obsess over every twinge in the 2WW and then I get AF. I'm hoping that September works and in a way I'm glad we didn't do the procedure in August. I'm just charting. Plus The RE drew blood for baseline HCG and estrogen levels (everything came out normal thank goodness).

Heather
DS 11/27/04

HIU8
08-18-2006, 02:00 PM
DH and I actually wanted to have children at least 2-2.5 years apart, so we didn't start until June 06 TTC again. I just don't remember it being so frustrating last time. With DS #1, I went off birth control in September and gave my body time to re-regulate, we had our first IUI in February and were PG in March. Now,each time I go into the IUI with such high hopes. I obsess over every twinge in the 2WW and then I get AF. I'm hoping that September works and in a way I'm glad we didn't do the procedure in August. I'm just charting. Plus The RE drew blood for baseline HCG and estrogen levels (everything came out normal thank goodness).

Heather
DS 11/27/04

himom
08-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Our DS was concieved as soon as we stopped using protection, but trying for #2 has been really frustrating. We had grand plans for keeping them 2 years apart which were thwarted when it seemed to take forever.

It ended up being a little over a year and a half for us before I finally got two pink lines, so our two will be about 4 years apart.

himom
08-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Our DS was concieved as soon as we stopped using protection, but trying for #2 has been really frustrating. We had grand plans for keeping them 2 years apart which were thwarted when it seemed to take forever.

It ended up being a little over a year and a half for us before I finally got two pink lines, so our two will be about 4 years apart.

SpaceGal
08-18-2006, 05:36 PM
With our first I had no idea about when I was ovulating or what not. We're were just letting whatever happens happen. So in about 6 months it happened for us.

With our second, we decided to try and it didn't happen right away and I was getting frustrated with being hounded about when I'm having my next or when I was going to go back to work. It was annoying. I decided to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I have to say that book is quite informative. I got the feel for when I was ovulating and am pregnant in a month. Like PP said we just went for it when I thought I was ovulating and it worked for us.

I know it's hard to stay calm and collected when trying for #2 but it will happen when it's right. Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

Lovingliv
08-18-2006, 06:22 PM
It took us two months to get Liv. #2 was a pleasant surprise!

Good luck TTC! I wish all the best for you and DH! Try to take it easy and have fun!

jesseandgrace
08-18-2006, 06:22 PM
You may already know this, but I was just reading an article and the new thinking is that the day before ovulation and the day before that are the best days to get pregnant. The article said that the day of ovulation may be too late.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Nick 2 months
Baby two 2 months
Kate 3 months

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

daniele_ut
08-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Kiely - 3 months (I was 29, about to turn 30), no charting, no temping, no monitor

Logan - 3 months (I had just turned 31), charting, temping and ClearBlue monitor

I think that #3 will take longer, though!

smilequeen
08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
For us, the entire journey to get pregnant with DS took exactly a year. With charting we tried 6 months before getting pg (miscarriage at 10 weeks). With charting again it took 4 months to get pg with DS. It was a sucky year, but I guess we fall into that 4-6 months average. I am 32 now and we'll be trying again soon.

ribbit1019
08-18-2006, 11:06 PM
With all my pregnancies we were surprised. Sicking huh? But we never actually sat down and said, o.k. we are trying.

I know my first pregnancy was only a month since I went off the BCP when we got married and I got pregnant within a month.

We are very fertile, just not too good at carrying to term, that took some work.

GL, I wish you lots of fun trying to bring another baby into the world!! ;)

Christy
My Waterbabies
http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
http://www.tickercentral.com/view/172x/6.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

HallsofVA
08-19-2006, 02:58 PM
With DS, we *tried* for 2-3 years before conceiving. Because of my age, my OB recommended giving it a year. We finally broke down and got the Clearblue Fertility monitor. We got pregnant 3 months later!

With this pregnancy, we used the same Fertility monitor and it took us 6 months to conceive. Looking back, we conceived both babies when we followed exactly the same pattern with the fertility monitor.

Good luck to you!