PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about Buford, GA?

JTsMom
08-18-2006, 08:10 AM
DH has a job possibility there. Anything you could tell me about lifestyle, schools, housing, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!

Jenny_A
08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Lori,

I saw that your post did not get a response so I thought I would give you my 2 cents...

I don't live in Buford, GA but I was born and raised in Alpharetta, GA (close to Buford) and currently live in Kennesaw, GA. Buford is a good city to live in. Lake Lanier is a huge attraction in Georgia and it's in Buford. Also, Buford is really just starting to take off as far as development goes. It use to be considered a small rural city but that's not really the case anymore. So, if you do buy a house there, your property value should increase rapidly as more and more people move into the area. Along with that new development, there should be some new schools being built.

Anyway, that's not much info but maybe it will help you. You might try and find something close to or on the lake if you do end up moving here.

Jenny

JTsMom
08-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks Jenny. It sounds really nice, so we're crossing our fingers that this works out. My uncle lives in Alpharetta, which I hear is a great place to live as well. It seems like housing is a little higher there though, right?

Coming from S. FL, EVERYTHING looks great to us! LOL Housing is insanely unafffordable here.

Bethann31
08-19-2006, 01:04 PM
I live just about 5 miles from Buford. Buford City
Schools are great,ranked highly I believe. I am in Real Estate in this area, so I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have about housing etc. Just PM me. Parts of Buford sit right on Lake Lanier.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

JTsMom
08-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Great- thanks! I'll keep that in mind. We should know more in the next week or two.

rfeibelm
08-19-2006, 03:28 PM
We moved recently from Sugar Hill, GA which is right next to Buford. I have a bit different opinion than the other posters though. I did think it was a nice place to live, but a bit too "bible beltish" for my taste. Also, lots of new construction, but our house which was very nice but 10 yrs old, did not appreciate one bit in the 2.5 yrs we lived there! We also would have never sent our ds to the elementary school in our district - it was built next to a landfill and the playground looked like a wasteland.

Anyway, I'm sure there are nicer parts of it - and I know the schools in Lawrenceville are awesome! And the housing is definitely affordable there.

phirey
08-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Didn't you ask about another Atlanta suburb a few months ago? I seem to remember talking with you about CHOA/Egleston? Maybe I'm imagining things.

Anyway, two close friends live in Buford and seem to like it. The lake is such a draw, and one friend's so jut started Kindergarten last week. They're actually paying tuition to send their son to Buford City Schools rather than the county school he was assigned to. I think class size was the reason but I can find out...

I'm about 45 min-1 hour away from there, in Woodstock. It's all considered Atlanta suburbs, even if you're like an hour from the city. Expect very suburban, strip mall atmosphere. As a PP said, very Bible Belt, often very intolerant. North Metro Atlanta growing faster than its infrastructure can handle, but I think that may be the case everywhere.

Beth is an agent over that way, and knows the area well. Certainly let her help you find a place! ;-)

JTsMom
08-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Peggy,
Yes, that was me! I was actually going to dig up that post earlier, but never got around to it. I was trying to remember who I had discussed that with. It was Peachtree City that I asked about then. That didn't work out for us. We liked it there, but didn't love it. The job was the main problem.

The Bible Belt issue is a concern for us, as is the intolerance. While we did see a little of that in PTC, it wasn't rampant from what we could tell during our 3 day visit. Of course that's not the same as living there. I think that area might have more transplants though- just guessing. We are about as far from religious as you can get, and while we aren't exactly crazy rebel types, we definitely aren't going to fit in if nobody is allowed to have a unique thought there.

Is Buford similar to PTC?

LisaMom2Allie
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
My sister just moved from Cumming, GA which is right next to Buford-she loved the area and moved back to NC for her job. I am a SAHM so Allie and I used to go visit about monthly and I LOVE the area-the Mall of Georgia is in Buford and lots of shopping, yes some of it is the massive strip malls but everything is relatively new there. It is sort of like a big boom town that has really expanded in the past 10 years. THe only thing that I didn't like was the traffic but they are widening I-20 and that should help(well at least w.the Cumming/Buford commute)but traffic is to be expected in the Atlanta metro and Atlanta is close enough to enjoy the museums, etc but you don't HAVE to go there if you don't want to. There are also some nice outlets near there on 901?

I give it 2 thumbs up from a visiting perspective and my sister would move back tomorrow if possible.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

Bethann31
08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
I will be the first to admit that I get really frustrated with the amount of intolerance shown here by some people. I have even found myself kicked out of some local online moms groups for pointing out the hypocrisy among members who claim to be religious, but use religion as an excuse to be intolerant and rude, and show the complete lack of any thoughts or ideas not originally presented by their Preacher or one of the Not To Be Named Radio Talk Show Hatemongers.

However, that being said, I have also found some incredibly good friends here. Not everyone is intolerant, many people may disagree with you politically or on religion, but they will disagree with you with well thought out arguments and feelings. I totally respect that. We also have such a thriving Arts community in Northeat GA, trips to Atlanta for theatre or concerts are completely unnecessary.

I have my moments where all I want to do is run away, but most of the time I really do love it here. The lake is beautiful, the mountains gorgeous and the ability to go to a major metropolitan area quickly, and yet be far enough away that you don't have to go there for everything is a wonderful combination.

Where is your DH looking at going to work? Please send me a PM if you need any help, even if it's just sending you some info on the area.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

HHCs Mom
08-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Jenny,
Just wondering where and when you went to high school... I graduated from Milton HS in 1994. Grew up in Alpharetta as well. :)

Kim
~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04