PDA

View Full Version : At what age do kids "play" on swingsets/playsets?

BillK
08-18-2006, 09:30 AM
We've been itching to get a nice swing/playset for Zach who just turned 18 months.

We've been looking at Rainbow, Cedar Works, Backyard Adventures and Sunray (Costco's Rainbow) and have finally decided that we like the less expensive Cedar Works "Playaround" set.

However - we (mostly me) are having misgivings about spending $1499 (plus the cost of prepping the area it will sit on which is going to be another $1000 or so if we use rubber mulch) at this point in Zach's short little life.

So what I'm wondering is - at what point can we expect to see an outdoor playset being "used" - vs. Zach sitting on the ground playing with the mulch? ;)

What has been other's experience with their little ones finding outdoor playsets interesting and them actually getting used? The couple of times we had Zach at playsets he really showed no interest in the set itself and was more interested in the mulch and rocks surrounding it. (which makes me CRAZY!)

Thanks in advance.

Lynnie
08-18-2006, 09:39 AM
my little guy is 28 months, and has always LOVED the swing on our playset. Don't know if your model has a swing, but he has loved that thing since before he was one, and still loves it.

He is also fairly adventurous, and has been climbing up the ladder and the slide since at least several months before he turned two.

If you live where there are winters, you may want to wait so you don't get frustrated if he doesn't use it before it gets too cold to use it. Otherwise, its something he'll certainly grow into, and if you're going to get one anyway, and don't plan on moving anytime soon, then it could be one thing gotten out of the way.

elliput
08-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I think Zach is right about the age where he will become more interested in a swing/playset. When I started taking DD to the park she was definitely more interested in the pebbles and stick than the playset, but has gotten more into climbing and sliding in really just the past 4-6 weeks. She's 19 months, and now she loves to climb all over the playset at the park. If *I* were to get a big swing/playset for the house, I would wait until at least next summer as her coordination and self-awareness will be more developed. Right now DD's too much of a daredevil! :-)

mommyoftwo
08-18-2006, 09:52 AM
I think it depends on the child. Amelia loved being in a swing as soon as she was old enough. When she was about a year old, we started going down slides with her. We bought out house when she was about 18 months and it came with a nice wooden swingset. She loved it and played with it every day. It's still one of the first things she asks to do every morning.

kedss
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi-

My son is over 2.5 years old and he has never liked swings at all. He does like to climb, though, and go down slides. Mostly he likes going to the park to play with other kids, probably even more than he likes playing on the equipment.

So, maybe if you want to get him something, start small and build slowly? I don't know how it works to buy a set, but I don't think I would spend that much esp if he doesn't show much interest yet, maybe a sandbox, first?

hth!
Kate

JBaxter
08-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Nathan has loved his all summer. I think it was put up in April so he was almost 2 1/2. He swings climbs and slides.

Karenn
08-18-2006, 10:52 AM
My DS was all over swing sets at 16 months. That's really his "thing" though. Now at preschool, he plays outside on the climbers more than any of the other kids, including the other boys.

DD was interested at 18 months, but spends more time swinging that climbing. She still climbs though.

It might be a personality thing. Some kids are just more interested in the sand box than the swing set.

janeybwild
08-18-2006, 10:57 AM
At 3, Megan plays with ours every day, and Dana at 13 months is right there with her...loves to swing in the baby swing, push the tire, crawl under the house, and climb up the stairs (yikes) to the club house. She has lost interest in eating the mulch thank goodness. As an only child, Megan's interest in it began in earnest around 2. If he likes swingsets at the park, he will most likely love it. Its also a big positive for play dates. But, it is a lot of $$$.

AngelaS
08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
We got our CedarWorks when Adrienne was 17 months old. We set it up on grass tho and she was instantly taken w/climbing up inside and going down the slide. She also loved the swing.

Now, 7 years later, we finally have it on pea gravel and all my girls love playing in the rocks as well as playing in the playset. In the last 7 years tho, our playset has DEFINITELy seen it's worth in being played on!

AngelaS
08-18-2006, 12:57 PM
We got our CedarWorks when Adrienne was 17 months old. We set it up on grass tho and she was instantly taken w/climbing up inside and going down the slide. She also loved the swing.

Now, 7 years later, we finally have it on pea gravel and all my girls love playing in the rocks as well as playing in the playset. In the last 7 years tho, our playset has DEFINITELy seen it's worth in being played on!

Saartje
08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Ishy has loved outdoor playsets since well before your son's age — 14 months or so. If Zach hasn't shown any interest in those except for playing in the mulch, though, get him a sand box right now and wait on the expensive playset until next year (or whenever he gets interested).

If you have the money set aside for his playset already, put the difference between the cost of the sandbox and the cost of a playset in a money market account and earn interest on it in the meantime. That way it will be there when he does seem ready (or when you decide to do something else with it).

Saartje
08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Ishy has loved outdoor playsets since well before your son's age — 14 months or so. If Zach hasn't shown any interest in those except for playing in the mulch, though, get him a sand box right now and wait on the expensive playset until next year (or whenever he gets interested).

If you have the money set aside for his playset already, put the difference between the cost of the sandbox and the cost of a playset in a money market account and earn interest on it in the meantime. That way it will be there when he does seem ready (or when you decide to do something else with it).

jermak
08-18-2006, 04:27 PM
My DD got one from her grandparents at age 2 and didn't use it very much until she was closer to 4. Before then we used a baby swing off of our back deck which worked great. She's 6 1/2 and still plays on it w/ friends.

jermak
08-18-2006, 04:27 PM
My DD got one from her grandparents at age 2 and didn't use it very much until she was closer to 4. Before then we used a baby swing off of our back deck which worked great. She's 6 1/2 and still plays on it w/ friends.

C99
08-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Depends on the child. Nate loved playing on the playground at our park starting when he was about 15 months old. Our backyard isn't big enough for a set, so we just have an older model Step2 Big Climber with a slide, which both he and his sister play with. My daughter really digs the swings and we don't have one in the backyard.