PDA

View Full Version : OT - Do you believe in funky, weird, stuff? Cue the Twilight Zone music.

Fairy
08-18-2006, 11:39 PM
So, this is my first attempt at a poll question. Completely and uttery off-topic. I've been obsessed with Discovery/TLC/Travel Channel/DHC/History Channel, which often go into heavy rotation on the paranormal shows. Like now. So, I hope this isn't a crappy poll question, in which case I'm sorry in advance and won't do it again!

dr mom
08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, I don't believe in ghosts - my religious beliefs preclude the possibility - but the universe we live in is so complex and vast that I feel it would be supremely arrogant to exclude the possibility of other mysteries, only because we haven't yet encountered them.

bcky2
08-19-2006, 11:26 AM
ok i stick my neck out here ;)

i believe in ghost and have had too many things that i have seen and have had others experience to not believe. my ds seeing a man in our old house all the time and it was the house that my dh's father passed away in is just one of the things among many. i also believe in reincarnation.

i also believe that some people are more in touch with certain things then others, or are more sensitive. ok, i dont believe in sylvia brown lets get that straight ;)

as for et, nope not one bit do i believe in that :)

eta: so when the men in white show up to take me away i will know it was one of you ladies that tipped them off ;)

Fairy
08-19-2006, 02:05 PM
As Mulder's poster said, "I want to believe." And I pretty much do. I think there is an "other side," but I'm not sure exactly what it is. When we die, maybe our energy exists in another dimension, or maybe there is a heaven. In any event, I do think ghosts exist.

Aliens, absolutely. We've found so many extra-solar planets out there, now, that the odds of conditions being favorable for life only on our own planet are low. Also, we're carbon-based, but who's to say that there couldn't be beings based on some other element that developed that way, like methane, for instance? Just possibilities.

Psychic ability I kind of see from more of a logical point of view. I used to be a reporter and did a story on a psychic convention (seriously). It was out there, man. I interviewed several psychics, and I felt that most of them were bogus. However, there was one who knew things about me that were specific, and she said, look, psychic ability is a sense, just like sight or smell. You have to interpret what your senses are telling you. You see a purple color, is it more red, or is it more blue? You smell food, is it beef stew, or is it vegetable beef soup? That's up to your own interpretation sometimes, and sometimes you're gonna be wrong. It was like an epiphany for me. We don't know what most of the brain does, so I do think that there are lots of psychic abilities that people can have because they're using certain parts of their brains that most of us don't. So, that's my feeling on psychic ability.

My jury's out on Sylvia Browne. I used to be a total believer, but I think she's more of an opportunist. She contradicts herself often, and then there are times she's spot on with a very specific thing. I was disappointed when I realized that she was more capatilist than humanitarian, not that she shouldn't earn $$. I still think she has abilities, but not sure to what extent anymore.

MartiesMom2B
08-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I believe in ghosts. Apparently my great grandfather was a ghost in the house that he died in. My uncle said that my grandfather used to sleep in an iron bed and after he died they put the bed away, but you could still hear the creaking of the iron bed. My grandmother (who is the most straight laced person) told me that one night she was laying in the bed in the guest room with all of her kids, and the door opened and my grandfather said "Settle down kids". It freaked her out because he was dead and that's what he used to say. She could've been dreaming, but who knows.

For some reason, I'd like to believe in psychic ability but I don't know about Sylvia Browne or John Edwards. They seem too vague, but when you watch those psychic detective shows, that seems much more accurate.

As far as aliens, I don't believe in them. However my uncle who is a skeptical person, but a major star gazer thinks that he thinks it's possible that there is some sort of life form out there. Like a pp said there a lot more to the universe than our solar system.

-Sonia
Mommy to Martie
& Li'l Bunny to come Feb. 2007
http://bd.lilypie.com/Kchhm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

jadamom
09-10-2006, 10:49 PM
I believe in psychic ability, but not ghosts or ETs. Some people are just really intuitive and can read others well. It's like a sixth sense. As a kid, I read a book about the amazing ability of twins to somehow communicate with each other without speaking. Like, one twin would know instantly if the other twin was hurt even if they were halfway across the world from each other at the time. It was really interesting.

kboyle
09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
take me away too.

ET is a little far off for me, but my best friend growing up had a bit of a rough childhood (parent's divorce, abuse at daycare, shooting at her childhood home in euclid, ohio when she was about 9 and seeing her friends shot by sharp-shooters!) and always saw ghosts, her youngest sister too would see them. i never believed her till we were in her house (newly built, so no residing ghosts ;) ) and we heard little girls running up and down the stairs giggling, we yelled at her sisters to "shut-up" and then realized that no one else was home. another one of our friends stopped by after school and said that he kept hearing her sisters upstairs, but again, no one else was home. when we moved to our apt at kent state univ we would see this whisp of something in the hallway and then the mirror would suddenly get crooked...it was a bit spooky. then she had a near-death car accident while we were living in the apt and after that the ghosts have been gone.

charlie on the other hand calls my dad "papa" and even though my FIL passed away when he was 7mos he knows his face and refers to his pics as "grandpa" when he was about 2 he started "talking" to "grandpa" in his bedroom, it was also about 1 yr after FIL passed away. i would always ask him who he was talking to and he always said "grandpa" i finally showed him a pic and he said "YES mom, i told you i was talking to him" every now and then he'll talk to "grandpa" but not as often as when he was younger.

and...my other best friend's mom is actually a psychic/aura reader/etc. while i don't know if i really believe, it kinda hard not to. she told me not to skip work and leave for lunch with my other friend lily because something bad would happen, she's the one who got in the near-death car accident, i ALMOST skipped work that day and heard about it on the radio on my way to work. she predicted an ex would propose that weekend...he did, to HIS ex :) she also said that the "man of my dreams" would be wearing an orange hawaiian shirt, the first time i went out with dh we went shopping he was looking for fun shirts for his annual desert camping trip in glamis, ca. he then told me he was searching for an orange hawaiian shirt! the last time i got a reading from her she told me my aura was red (not good) even though i was in a pretty good mood, i got my car towed, and then when going to pick it up and pay my fine i got in a huge car accident. i haven't gone since, but have been wanting to call her all summer, it's been a rough summer, i see her as more of someone that i can talk to that isn't in the main picture, plus i don't have to pay, so i really don't see her as a "psychic" :)

so while i still think you CHOOSE to believe, it's hard when i have had experiences that can't be explained and someone how has told me things that has happened.

i believe in my friends mom to gauge a situation or conversation, she doesn't necessarily "predict" but helps to clarify or analyze a situation or relationship, etc, because who really goes to a psychic with out a specific question in mind ;)

starrynight
09-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I believe in all of it, mostly messages from people that have passed on and psychic ability. Perhaps my own experiences with this stuff give me bias. I have premonitions and have seen my own dd talking to something that wasn't there. My gram gets them too and there are freaky things that happen to me, dd and gram. If it was just one of us I might say it's silly but it's happened too many different times for it to not be real.

I don't believe in palm readings or things like that very much but the rest of it yes.

eapoosmama
09-11-2006, 11:30 AM
I have to say I believe in it all. Don't understand it all but there is too much to doubt any longer.

I have had 3 different Psychics from the different parts of the country come to me in a conversation, telling me things that they would have never known happened in my life. I have also received messages from them from a person who has passed.

I believe in ghosts, but more so souls. I have seen/heard a few odd things.

I have a picture of a Ghost @ the cemetary my family is buried in.
I have a picture of an orb next to my head in a recent picture,

Those believers and non believers alike would appreciate http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

I have been listening to it for almost 7 years every day -- it is an amazingly informative show on a wide range of topics.