PDA

View Full Version : Long shot--experience with ketone measurements

megs4413
08-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I've been testing my ketones during my marathon pukefest of 2006 (also known as my first trimester }( ) and they've gone from bad to worse in the last 24 hours. I'm wondering if I will be able to rehydrate on my own, or if I need to go into the hospital and have some IV fluids. I don't know a lot about ketone measurements, i just know i'm supposed to keep my eye on it...it's the darkest it's ever been for me, but it's not yet to the darkest it could be. It says moderate to large right now. Does anyone know what that means?

pb&j
08-19-2006, 12:55 PM
You need to call your doctor and speak with the on-call person ASAP. If you can't get in touch with your OB's office, you should go to the ER.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

psophia17
08-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't know what it means, but I'm with Ry - get yourself to a doctor or hospital ASAP.

megs4413
08-19-2006, 01:22 PM
I called the doc and he didn't have much advice. He told me to go to the ER...i'm just not symptomatic....if it hasn't gone down in 3 hours, i will go in this evening. Thanks for the advice!

psophia17
08-19-2006, 02:37 PM
I googled "high ketone levels" and found this:

If your ketone levels continue to rise they act like a poison. You may feel sick and you may find it difficult to keep liquids down, making you even more dehydrated. Your skin may become dry, your eyesight blurred and you may find you are breathing faster. Ketones can be smelt on your breath – they smell like pear drops or nail varnish.

Megs - please, go to the ER. This is not something you should fool around with. On the farm, we didn't mess around when cows had issues with their ketones, and they were just cows.

lisams
08-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I have no idea what ketones are, but I bet you will feel so much better once you're hydrated. Since you can't keep liquids down, it sounds like should go in.

I really hope your horrible morning sickness goes away soon. Was it this bad with your first? I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy.

chlobo
08-19-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't know about people but with cats if they are even moderately high you *must* take them in to the ER as it can be life threatening.

I'm with the others. I would get to the ER ASAP. Better safe than sorry, even if all they do is give you fluids.

megs4413
08-19-2006, 03:53 PM
actually it was WORSE with my first!!! I was in the hospital literally starving to death with my first...in early kidney failure. It's been so much better this time that I'm questioning whether I really need to go to the hospital. I know that must sound silly, but these pregnancies really are night and day different, so i don't really know how to gauge how severe it is. GRRR. Why does it always happen on the weekend so i can't just go into the OB's office? He (the OB) says it's cause that's when my DH is home! He said it's DH's fault! I thought that was hilarious....an interesting theory....

Wife_and_mommy
08-19-2006, 04:04 PM
nak

i don't have the health issues you have and did have some ketones during my pg w/ ds. i'm hesitant to tell you it's not a big deal but i'd try taking sips of gatorade and seeing if it gets better if your'e not seeing your ob.

your descriptions of the sickness soundvery similar to mine w/ both dc's. i did much better w/ ds because i knew to eat small amts all day long and stay as hydrated as possible. it also lasted only 1/2 as long.

hope it goes away soon! you've brought back some horrid(i mean that nicely) memories for me. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

lisams
08-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Well I guess it's good that it's not as bad as last time, but it still stinks. I have just in the last week started feeling better, so I totally know how crummy it makes you feel. I found sipping on chicken noodle soup broth really helped me. I hope you're able to find something to sip on that stays down so you don't get really deyhdrated.

mommyoftwo
08-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Megs, just go to the ER. You'll feel so much better. I had horrible HG with Linnea (Amelia too but not as bad) and I wish I had gone in more often. I would just get so stubborn and not want to bother. I wasn't thinking very clearly at the time and in retrospect it was just plain stupid. I assume you have a prescription for an anti-emetic like zofran. If not, GET ONE. Drink as much gatorade as possible and please take care of yourself. I completely understand what you are going through and it sucks.

daniele_ut
08-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I had 2 episodes of major dehydration from hyperemesis during my first pregnancy, and both times I waited too long to go to the ER and was severely berated by the nurse in OB triage because I was spilling ketones. That is a sign that you are already more dehydrated than you should be. I needed over 3 liters before I no longer had ketones in my urine. If it were me, I would go to the ER. It may be nothing, but I try to err on the side of caution with my prior history.

jess
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I had difficutly with ketones during my first pregnancy and at the beginning of my second (with my first, also had gestational diabetes...don't know if the two things are related...). With both, the Dr.'s were not too concerned, as long as the ketones were not out of wack for an extended length of time (week or more). My highest reading was the purple shade before the darkest color (moderate/high), and this was only one time. As I understood it, ketones were what occured when your body didn't have enough to fuel itself, so it started to use muscle to provide energy--not the greatest atmosphere for the baby. My readings were always the highest in the morning, after a night of not eating; what ended up working for me was to get up and drink a glass of milk at about two or three in the morning--this was enough to regulate the ketones. The ketone issue ended up resolving itself about mid-way through the second trimester, and I no longer had to do my midnight milk session...I hope that you've had a chance to talk to your Dr., and that the rest of your pregnancy goes well!

annex
08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
I also had HG and was told that ketones can also just be an indicator of starvation as opposed to dehydration. In my 7 ER trips for rehydration (before I went on home health), I had many different doctors. Some would keep me in for 12 hours (many many IV bags), hoping to see me ketone-free and never succeed before discharging me. Others didn't seem to care about testing for ketones before discharging me. I think starvation (I lost about 25 pounds in 3 weeks) was a bigger factor in my ketone tests than anything else.

I was never into testing my ketones at home, though, before deciding to get ER fluids. Do you have any other symptoms of dehydration? My big tip off was usually rapid heart rate and not being able to stand up without getting dizzy (low blood pressure.) If in doubt, though, you should probably just go to the ER. The more trips like this you can document, the nicer your OB might be about upping your meds, or putting you on home health so you don't have to worry about ER trips any more.

Good luck,
Anne