PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito control? Need help please!

dules
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
We are totally inundated with mosquitoes this year! I've looked them up and they are Asian Tiger Mosquitoes (black with white stripes) and it's gotten to the point where DD and I can't even play outside in the middle of the day if there's no breeze (which is probably half the time here in NJ in Summer).

We tried to use the baby pool this morning and in 10 minutes we got about 15 bites.

Repellents without DEET do nothing; I'd rather *not* use DEET on us though if possible.

We cleared out containers etc. earlier in the summer so I'm 95% certain there's no standing water on our property (but I can't rule out the neighbors').

I want to kill these things and break their cycle. Any suggestions appreciated!

Best,
Mary

Toba
08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
We are also in NJ and are having the same problem. I'm eager to hear if anyone has any suggestions for you!!

PS: Is it me or is this type of mosquito (black with white stripes ... didn't know the name of them until now!) new to this area? I could *swear* that I had never seen them before until just a few years ago.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

calv
08-20-2006, 01:10 PM
can you call your town and see if they'll come spray?

we got the mosquito magnet and so far it's worked GREAT!

Tondi G
08-20-2006, 01:15 PM
How about those OFF brand lantern things? I think they are Citronella.

http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-repeller/

HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

chlobo
08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
We have the mosquito magnet & when its works, it works great. Reliability has been a problem.

That said, we were at Home Depot today and my husband discovered they make a special octenol (attractant) cartridge for the mosquito magnet that is geared towards Asian Tiger Mosquitos.

So, if you are inclined to buy the Mosquito Magnet, make sure you get the octenol cartridge that is specifically for the Asian Tiger Mosquitos.

luvmypeanut
08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
I lived in Tokyo for 10 years and hate these things. They bite really quickly and for me, the bites swell up to quarter-size welts. And they're fuzzy! I remember using either a liquid or pad that heats up in a special unit. The OP's post about the specific cartridge for the mosquito magnet sound like the same thing. The bad news is that we had them even in December. Sorry you have to deal with these.

dhano923
08-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Some stores sell mosquito coils. They are a spiral thing that sits on top of a small stand. You light the end and it burns slowly, and the smoke releases something that the mosquitos don't like. I go to Singapore/Malaysia pretty often and everyone there uses these and also the plug in type with the small inserts. The electric ones work ok, but the coils really work.

http://www.offprotects.com/mosquito-control/