PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Innovations review

Momof3Labs
08-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I know that we talk about different photo places every so often, and this is a new one that opened near us. They had a $9.95 deal for a bunch of pictures, no sitting fee, and we wanted a pic of my parents grandkids (3 of them, including mine, almost 4yo, 11mo and 6mo).

It was an awful experience. As bad as going to Picture People (at least around here). We aren't going back.

The store was laid out such that I could barely get my single stroller to the back area. They were running about 20 minutes behind for our appointment (in and of itself, I can deal with that). We got this photographer who was so SLOW with the camera that he missed most of the truly good shots (a woman was posing our kids and making them smile). And they kept on pushing pics of the kids alone even though we told them all that we wanted was a good pic of the three kids together (and we did NOT want to waste precious moments on individual pics before the first meltdown).

Then, halfway through, they said that the camera broke. And their other extra camera was broken, too, so we had to wait for the photo session to finish next door and the only other camera to become available. My brother was encouraging us to leave, but we were all there, kids dressed, and were still hopeful that we'd get just *one* good pic of them together.

They started doing pics again of the kids alone, talking about doing some photo montage. NO, we want a pic of the kids all together! Please, let's just keep trying for that!

So, now, we've been there about an hour. DS2 is starting to get hungry and fussy, so there's not much more we can do. I sit down to nurse him, and get called over mid-feed to look at photos. The photographer keeps pushing the individual shots of the kids, putting them in our "favorites" even though we are saying noo, nooooo, noooooo! He wants to show us special effects, SIL and I say that we don't like them. He says, well I'll show you anyways. When he selects B&W, I say to SIL, gosh all that effort in choosing outfits that coordinated - out the window!

For the group pics, this guy is picking photos with DS2 red-faced and crying (and other similarly awful photos) and saying, that is a pretty good pic! Sheesh! There was one with DS2 trying to latch on to his cousin's elbow - that was pretty funny but not worth the price to just get that shot. We did find one half-way decent pic and ordered the $9.95 package in that pic. In 10 minutes, they were printed up and we were finally out of there (1.75hrs after our appointment time).

The one good part is that our parents and grandparents were just thrilled today to get a pic of the three kids together.

So, in sum, we won't be going back because of the crappy photographer who wasn't used to dealing with kids, the heavy sales pitch and refusal to listen to what we wanted to get out of the session, the long, slow process, and the faulty equipment. Kiddie Kandids continues to have our business!!

HTH someone!

mommyoftwo
08-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your lousy experience. I absolutely LOVE portrait innovations and have nothing but good to say about them. They did the pictures of Linnea and Amelia that I posted a few days ago and also the pictures of Linnea at nine months. Both times we had two photographers working together, they listened to what I wanted and they were endlessly patient with me while I debated about which of the many incredible shots I wanted. When Amelia refused to smile, they did everything they could to get a decent picture and I ended up getting a couple of really cute shots. The play area kept my girls entertained while we waited and there was plenty of room for a stroller. They even edited a picture for me photoshop to remove a spot on my shirt. I felt far less pressure to buy something I didn't want than I have at any other photo studio. Maybe I'm just lucky that the studio by us is so wonderful but our experiences couldn't have been more different.

nfowife
08-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Lori, I'm so sad you had a bad experience there. I have been so happy with the one by me. The studio is huge and inviting, it's never been too busy (most I've had to wait for an appt. is about 10 minutes, often it's nothing). I did have an occasion where I knew going in I only wanted one pic and the $10 package, and although they did try to upsell me, I just stood firm on that and didn't have any problems. I did picture people for DD's 1st birthday pics because I liked their birthday "prop" and for the price, was so underimpressed with the picture quality (although the pics are very cute). I will be going back to PI often!! We don't have kiddie kandids around here, so it's PI, PP, or JCpenney/Sears for cheaper options.

kelly ann
08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
That sounds like an awful experience. We just did some pictures at Sears a few weeks ago. We were in and out in less than one hour - and most of that was me picking out the pictures. I can't believe our experience went so smooth (considering I was by myself with the 2 kids), but it was because there were no delays and the photographer was so calm and let me take the lead :) I think all of our photo taking was done within 10 minutes. I cannot imagine waiting for another room to become open once you already started the session.

And you had a heavy sales pitch? Ugh! At least the parents and grandparents like the photos - I guess it kind of makes it worth the headache (maybe :) )

DebbieJ
08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Lori, I got the same $10 dal in the mail. My sister and I were just talking about it yesterday. Now we know not to waste our time!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

KHF
08-21-2006, 09:28 AM
That's awful that you had such a terrible experience. We've always had wonderful experiences with our PI. Laurel has been there 3 times and is going again on Saturday for her 1 year pictures.

As always though, I'm sure it depends on your particular location. Ours is new, and very spacious. The photographers that we've had have always been very professional and have never done a hard sell on us. Although, we've never tried to just get the $9.95 package...I always buy more. I do have friends that have been there and just gotten the $9.95 package and they've been very pleased.

Kirsten
DD Laurel - 8.22.2005

jvorhis
08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks so much for the info. They are opening a mall the end of October and I noticed that Portrait Innovations is one of the places they are adding. I just looked at their website and from the pics they don't look like much more then Sears or JC Penney. We usually do just used JC Penney but once a year we go to Sadies. They do awesome work.

janeybwild
08-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the review, which location was this? It does seem that these places are so dependent on the staff and photographer. I usually love the PP at Oakbrook, but have had at least one bad experience there when the regular people were gone. I hate the PP at Lombard with a passion. I can see that others may have had a better experience there, but usually one bad experience is enough. Sounds like your experience was that. Glad you got at least one good pic.

Momof3Labs
08-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Janey, it was the Orland Park location. We've only tried the PP in Gurnee (before we moved) and didn't like them at all.