PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go back to work for awhile then quit work? Do you have regrets?

kelly ann
08-21-2006, 12:16 PM
DS is going to be 4 soon, so I have been a "work in the office" mom for almost 4 years. Lately, I am questioning this choice...partly due to the fact that my responsiblities have shifted at work and I am way over-qualified for what I do. And to top it off, a new manager was announced for our group today and it is a colleague who started the same time I did at this company and has the same educational background. It wouldn't be that bad if I liked this person - but no one I know likes them and I can't imagine having to report to this person.

I do have a flexible schedule - part time with some telecommuting. Should I just suck it up because some of my other full-time WOHM friends would love to have my schedule???

I feel like this is a turning point for me and I need to make a decision. I have put some feelers out for another company, but maybe I should just take some time out away from the workplace. Honestly, I like working when the work is challenging, but it is so mundane right now.

I appreciate any advice or BTDT experience.

Lynnie
08-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Under these circumstances, if you can afford to leave, I would. Or rather, if I felt that way, and did not have to work, I would leave and at my leisure look for something more rewarding, and see how not working (outside of the home) was.

Its one thing to work (with or without a great schedule) if you need the money. Its another thing to work because you love your job, or it fulfills you, or you just aren't cut out for staying at home. But, I just think there are so many things that could be rewarding that it would be a shame to stick with something mundane and soon to be very unpleasant if it wasn't necessary.

Unfortunately, have not btdt, but would love to take a little time off and then try to find something more rewarding.

Good luck !

Jenn98
08-21-2006, 01:25 PM
I always thought I would want to be a SAHM, but I found that I really enjoyed my time at the office after DD was born. Of course, I have a great boss, my dream job and an amazing schedule. I get to come and go as I please and that has been a lifesaver. I consider my time at work to be my "me time." I'm so much more refreshed after an afternoon away. But I do miss DD, and if money were no object I would be a SAHM. So, I can relate to you enjoying your work and needing it to be challenging. And I also recognize the HUGE value in havinga great schedule. I would look for other employment if I were you - doesn't mean you have to leave your current position but it might make you feel more empowered. Also, being a SAHM is really hard and it might not be as fulfilling and being a mom with a paying position at the office. I don't envy your decision, but I wish you luck!!

rlu
08-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Not your situation, but here's what I did. After DS 2nd b-day I asked my boss to reduce my hours from exempt to non-exempt 30hours/week. 30hours is the magic number to keep my needed benefits. I couldn't really afford to quit, but was willing to do so if I couldn't cut back to 30 hours, and would plan to go back to work after a year. Luckily I was able to cut back to 30hours. I go to work 3 days for 8 hours, and work the other 2 from home, working 3 hours a day when DS sleeps and whenever I can get the hours in (usually at night).

I love being home with DS those two weekdays. We go the park or do light shopping. We take walks or just read together. DS will go back to Little Gym at the end of this month (last time DH got to take him, this time it's my turn).

I find the days at work rewarding as well (usually). Of course I miss DS and the dog, but I can't afford to quit completely long-term, so staying in the work arena part-time keeps me current and my resume fresh.

So, you might consider PT as an alternative too.

MarisaSF
08-21-2006, 03:12 PM
I worked for awhile and then quit because we moved. I haven't been back to work in over a year. While I had a fun "vacation year" with DD, I was sad to leave work and I hope to go back. I loved my job; if I felt the same way that you feel about your office environment, I wouldn't have any qualms leaving.

anamika
08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Yes, I worked for a while (till DD was one) and quit when we moved. I'm still 'looking' for a job but not very hard ;) Not at all, actually.
I've been a SAHM for a year now. Yayyy!!!! I love it for the most part and have no regrets.
The main reason I'm not keen to go back to work is b'cos I *hated* my old job. Plus, the kind of job I would go back to would be FT out of home. So I figure I will wait till DD starts preschool/school.
Just personally, I'm one of those moms who envies your schedule. But a job which doesn't satisfy you is not worth it, IMO.
Good luck with everything,

kelly ann
08-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your responses. For one thing, I am going to post out to some other jobs in the company...maybe that way I have a better chance of keeping some of my flexible schedule. I do love my schedule, but I have been so crabby lately and I know it is because of the job. I realize this is not the time of my life that I move up the corporate ladder, but I just can't swallow my pride and report to this new manager....it is too humiliating :(

mamaharsh
08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
I worked full-time until Nate was 9 months, then I found a part-time job that was not as fulfilling, but at a great company and offered lots of flexibility. Just before he turned three, they wanted more hours from me and I wanted to give less, so I quit.

I've spent the last almost two years at home with him. The first year was hard because we didn't have any of the "mommy connections" you make when you have a new baby. It was harder to find playgroups and make friends when people seemed to already have activities. (It was also harder because at the time, he was an only and most moms I knew had another baby, which made coordinating get togethers harder). It took work, but eventually we found enough friends and activities and SAH became a lot of fun.

I'm actually working very part-time now for the company I left two years ago and I periodically get calls from the place I was full-time asking if I want full-time work again. So, the break hasn't hurt my career and it's been great to have the time with Nate and now with Sean as well. I really enjoyed my work, so I may go back in a year when Nate goes to kindergarten, but I'm not making any decisions at this point.

Good luck with your decision.

Fairy
08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
I am in the exact same position. I am eight years older than my immediate manager, and the guy we both report to ultimately is about my age. Both my guys are great, generally, but they have their moments, they are total buds, and I'm often odd chick out. I don't think they do it on purpose, I think I'm just an after-thought. So, here's why I try TRY not to complain. I have it so good. I could not show up for a week and they probably wouldn't figure it out. We all three work at home most of the time, I'm part time with the end of the week being my off days, and I get paid relatively well. And I carry the healthcare, which is excellent; DH makes three times my salary, but his healthcare stinks. We don't technically NEED my salary, but without it, we're hurtin', and our healthcare is big time el stinko.

But my work is boring, all the exciting stuff goes to the guys, and I'm never gonna get any career level higher than where I currently am.

And sometimes my guys are dumb as a box of rocks.

If someone out there wants my job, lemme know. Until then, I"m in the same position of not being really sure if it's been worth it or not. Seems like "duh, you have it so easy!" but really, the bad can be really icky.

C99
08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I went back to work for 5 months and quit, so I don't know if it's the same thing as what you are going through. There's no reason that you should keep working at your job just because you have a schedule that other moms would envy -- if your situation isn't working for YOU, that is all that matters.