PDA

View Full Version : Would we be insane to try to replace a bathtub ourselves?

sarahsthreads
08-21-2006, 02:57 PM
We have a jacuzzi tub that we never, ever use. It's the only tub in the house and we've only ever really used it since DD was born. I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken a bath in the 7 years we've lived here - I just personally think baths are a waste of time, I'd much rather knit to relax! DH, being north of 6 feet, doesn't find the tub even remotely comfortable. (The tub at his parents' house is easily half again as long as ours.)

Plus, when the previous owners put the jacuzzi tub in, they inexplicably took out the shower head. This is the non-master bathroom on the second floor, and they had three teenagers, so I don't know what their kids did to get ready for school in the morning!

So we want to replace the tub with a standard tub, re-install the shower head (hopefully they left the pipe in place, so if we can find it easily we'll only have to patch wallboard instead of replace a whole panel) and I guess tile the walls - not looking forward to cleaning grout, but I don't know what the alternatives are.

DH thinks DIY is the way to go for these things, because we had *one* contractor come out and give us a $4K estimate. But I'm terrified this is going to end up being the type of job we start, can't finish ourselves for some reason, and end up needing to hire someone in the end and spend more than we would have if we'd just hired it out in the first place. His argument is that a tub, shower, and all the tiles will only cost between $500 and $600, so he flat out refuses to pay more than that.

Has anyone done anything similar? Would we be crazy to try? How heavy is a tub to move, anyway? Help me!

Thanks!
Sarah :)

elliput
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
I would not recommend replacing a tub unless you have done so before and/or have a very good, able and willing friend to help. If I were considering this project I would get the tub professionally installed to be sure the plumbing is sound and correct, then do all the tiling and finishing work myself.

Marisa6826
08-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Unless you have extensive plumbing, contracting and electrical experience, I wouldn't attempt to be a weekend warrior.

Depending on which model you have, it could easily weigh a couple hundred pounds. You would also need to figure out how to get it down your stairs and out of your house without damaging your existing walls, paint, etc. You also will have disconnect and/or re-route plumbing lines (both incoming and outgoing), electrical (the whirlpool likely has its own breaker), and will entail probably putting up new backer board (that's the water resistant blue/green coloured drywall they use in bathrooms), etc.

All of that assumes that the rest of the bathroom is up to par and have no hidden water damage. You already mentioned that you don't know whether or not the waterline exists for a shower head. Regardless of whether it's there or not, you're going to have to not only cut into existing pipe, but also solder new stuff in. And then there's the matter of putting in anti-scald valves, which are now required in all homes. This is all before you even have a new tub installed, and have the walls tiled/grouted/sealed.

I used to run a contractor's office. $4k isn't out of the realm of reason if it includes permits, demolition and removal, etc.

HTH

-m

BillK
08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Tubs - especially jetted ones are a HUGE pain in the a$$ to install/remove. I'd not deal with it myself if I was me. :)

janeybwild
08-21-2006, 03:41 PM
His
>argument is that a tub, shower, and all the tiles will only
>cost between $500 and $600, so he flat out refuses to pay more
>than that.
>
I think your DH is delusional :) A tub alone will start above that. I agree with the pp's. You could do all demolition work and finish work to save $$, but plumbing and tub installation isn't something I'd mess with unless you have experience and a helper.

Lovingliv
08-21-2006, 03:45 PM
My MIL brothers did this,,,,they however are very experienced contractor/construction people. They both said they would not do it again because the tub was SO heavy and akward to move!

sarahsthreads
08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
OK, thanks for the reality check! At least I have confirmation that I'm not being a total wimp on this one. Generally I'm all for DIY, but I just have visions of a smashed tub at the bottom of the stairs and a completely unusable bathroom for months and months.

I think I'll try to talk him into just doing the shower head and tiling. At least then when we need to call a plumber to fix things it won't be so expensive. ;)

Sarah :)

tiapam
08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Can't you just leave the tub and add the other things? Or is it a weird size or position or something?

Also, as far as cleaning grout, there is a sort of fake tileboard (not sure what to call it) that you could get instead. I believe it comes in a roll and you cut it to fit. It looks like tile, because it has faux grout lines. This can look kind of cheap but I have seen it done rather nicely. And if you are going to cover the area with a shower curtain, nobody will see the tile anyway. And it is much easier to clean.

-Pam

DD - One year old!

Fairy
08-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Yes, I think you'd be marginally insane. However, I get it about the $4k. Get other contractors AND plumbers in there. Get several estimates. Don't stop at 2. Go with five or six if you can. And whatever you do, try to find these folks via word of mouth. Your neighbors may have had work done, friends, etc.

Good luck!