PDA

View Full Version : Grass saver tablets for dogs? Anyone used them before?

BillK
08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
We've been having a terrible time with horrible lawn burnout from our 6 year old Yellow Lab's urine.

We're going to be putting in a swingset for our son soon and the dog will have to start using the last "nice" chunk of lawn I have left in the back yard for her business and I'm looking for some way to eliminate the burnout her urine causes.

I found the Grass Saver tabs from NaturVet and was curious what others experiences have been with them (or any other ph neutralizing meds for a dog's urine).

Are they safe? I'd really hate to give her something that could harm her only to save my lawn.

The only things our dog is on is Arthogen (for her joints), Frontline (yes we make sure Zach doesn't touch her after we apply it for several days) and Heartguard - she eats Eukanuba Large Breed food and is in good health otherwise and at an ideal weight.

rlu
08-21-2006, 03:30 PM
There are some more savy posters than I regarding pet medical treatments, but FWIW, our vet had us stop giving our female dog the tablets we were using (can't remember brand, sorry) as they could cause crystals in her urine. (???) Definitely worth a call to your vet.

nfowife
08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
We have 2 labs and don't have a problem with the spots, but I have read that pouring water over them can prevent the spots. Do you water your lawn daily/regularly? I just hate to give uneeded meds to my dogs, kwim?

rlu
08-21-2006, 03:41 PM
We lost our little girl dog to cancer last year, but still have our big male dog and do have yellowing problems. We rent, big big problem. Solution for us was to keep dear dog(s) off grass the landlord planted (we built "fences" out of pipe and bird nets) and plant new grass in a previously just dirt area.

We found that watering daily seemed to help, but overwatering causes issues too. We dug out the yellow areas and reseeded in the landlord's grass. The dog's grass area is constantly yellowing, we just remove and buy new sod every couple of months.

Wish I could be more help. Maybe OP has a different area dog can use. We turned the previous garden area into the grassy dog area and put our veggies into pots.

willow33
08-21-2006, 08:20 PM
We tried them and they didn't seem to work at all. I also agree that watering right away will get rid of the burn spots.

MommyAllison
08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
I worked in the veterinary field pre-DD and we didn't recommend these. They *probably* won't hurt, but you don't really want to mess around with ph levels. We recommended trying to get the pet to drink more water (thus diluting the urine) or, like PP suggests, keep a bucket of water around and dump it on the spot after the dog goes to wash it into the ground, rather than leaving it to "burn" on to the grass. Watering more frequently may help too. Sorry - I know the tablets seem so nice and easy!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

BillK
08-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replies - I had my misgivings about anything that changes the natural PH so it looks like it's watering for me.

Could someone come and a talk my wife into going out in her jammies at 5:30am every morning and watering the dog's pee spots for me now? (since I sleep until about 7am) ;)

urquie
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
pp's were right about the watering. the most important thing is to water right after your dog pees to dilute it.

here's something else to consider - the first morning pee will probably be the most acidic and damaging. you could take your dog out front on a leash and hope she'll aim for something else :)

3blackcats
10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
We added a few tablespoons of tomato juice to our dogs food to avoid the spots. I think it changes the acid in the urine.

bubbaray
10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Could someone come and a talk my wife into going out in her jammies at 5:30am every morning and watering the dog's pee spots for me now? (since I sleep until about 7am) ;)

Bill Bill Bill. How can I break it to you gently? Your wife and the dog are in this together. Your wife wants YOU to get up at 5:30am so she can snooze 'til 7am. She's probably feeding the dog a "special" diet just so you will have to get up and water his pee spots.... :ROTFLMAO:

Seriously, though. We just don't look at the grass in the backyard anymore. Its easier than worrying about it.

o_mom
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
This thread is over three years old, BTW... :)

bubbaray
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
This thread is over three years old, BTW... :)

AHHHH, I didn't even see that. I hate it when that happens.