PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Help - pen catastrophe in the dryer

momma_boo
08-22-2006, 08:01 AM
I forgot I had a pen in one of my pockets and threw it in the wash. Well, the pen came apart in the dryer but I didn't realize it until after everything was done.

I have smudges of blue ink all over the dryer drum. I tried the magic eraser on it but that did absolutely nothing. I'm a little nervous about using Goo Gone in the dryer. Will it stain future loads of clothing if I just leave the ink smudgets there?

Now, fortunately, almost all the clothes in the load were black or navy. DH's denim shorts have a couple of smudge marks but he'll never notice them unless I point them out (so I won't).

But DD had a dark fuschia-ish colored Polo Dress that has blue ink smudges on it now. Is there any hope for it? I tried to look online but those refer to clothes that haven't been washed and/or dried yet. I'm not sure what to try on it. Any suggestions?
I guess if I can't get it off, she can still just wear it to daycare (if she doesn't mind the smudges, who knows how my Toddler Diva will react!).

JBaxter
08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Did you try plain rubbing alcohol? That usually works on ink. Im not sure about the clothing but it has worked in my dryer before.

jadamom
08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Yes, rubbing alcohol (or even hairspray) should work on ink stains in clothing.

kochh2
08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
is it a ball point pen... well, WAS it a ball point pen?? My husband has put sooo many pens through the dryer-- haven't had much luck, but i have heard that Milk is a good remedy- google ball point pen stain milk for the procedure- it involves some soaking and drying... but worth a try!!
~GL!!

JTsMom
08-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Ditto the alchohol, but it's pretty labor intensive. Put a paper towel underneath to catch the ink as it comes off. It should work on the dryer as well. If not, it probably won't come off on clothes. I had this happen a few months ago with a load of lights. I could have choked DH!

american_mama
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
There is specialized stain remover for pen and ink, brand Carbona, sold in the laundry detergent aisle. The boxes are small and usually yellowish. It is designed for laundry, so if it works on the drum, the residue certainly won't hurt your clothes.

It worked great once for me when red ballpoint pen get all over white canvas. It did very little when permanent purple marker got all over DD's white cotton blanket.

On my vinyl floors, alcohol or Magic Eraser and some elbow grease always gets out 99% of permanent marker scribbles.

I really need to childproof my desk drawers with all the pens, don't you think?

tarabenet
08-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I'd grab the SpotShot.

Any chance of hiding the smudges with some kind of iron-ons? Would the Diva give that a chance?

I doubt that the smudges in the dryer will come off onto anything, but I'd run old towels as my next load, just in case.

Good luck.

sdoyle
08-24-2006, 04:35 AM
This used to happen to me all the time (I was a nurse so carried several pens). Spray the stain with hairspray and re-wash. Works like a charm. I always use the cheapest, aerosol 80's brands they seemed to work best.

momma_boo
08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Did you do this after the item had been dried in the dryer?

I haven't had a chance to try any of the suggestions yet. But I'll start on it tomorrow.

sdoyle
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Yes. The first load I tried it on was a HUGE load of whites that had been washed in hot and dried in the dryer- with black ink of course!