PDA

View Full Version : Cosignment sale newbie

SammyeGail
08-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi! I am not sure where to post this, I hope this is an ok place. I am still a little new here, but was hoping you wonderful ladies could help me with a cosignment sale I have comming up this weekend. It will be the first I sell in and buy in. So here are a few questions I have:

How do you price things? They recommend 1/3 of origional, but could I go up a little on excellent used condition Graco car seats?

I have 9 month old twin boys, right now one fits 6-12 month perfect and the other is about to out grow them. I will be looking for fall/winter clothing, is looking for 12-18 month good, or should I also look into 18-24 for the larger twin and as they grow?

Could you ladies recommend some great toys to look for? And what to avoid, things that are cute but the kids end up not liking, lol!! I plan to look in the age range of 9+ & 12+ months, larger ride on/push toys, etc.

I guess thats all for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Thank you all in advance for advice, I really need some!!

Samantha
Noah and Jonas
9 month twins

nfowife
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
We have our first sale of the season coming up this weekend and I can't wait! I am doubly excited as DH will be home to watch DD, so it will be much easier to shop alone :) .
Anyhow, in terms of pricing, it is up to you, but be aware that at large sales there are often multiples of the same items- especially toys, strollers, etc. For example, I was looking for a pushing walker toy at the last one a few months ago and they had 5 of the same one, all in good condition, for $1, $3, $5, and $10 each. Of course I took the $1 that was in good condition! So you don't want to be the most overpriced car seat. I'd price it for the smallest amount you'd consider taking, personally. Clothing wise, they are usually hit or miss. I find the best stuff is the newborn stuff because it usually gets so little wear, they aren't eating yet, etc. Once you hit about the 6 month and up sizes there are a lot less to choose from because kids are so much harder on the stuff. For toys, the best stuff goes early, so unless you get an early shopping pass for consigning (here you don't only if you work the sale!), be there when it opens the first day for the best selection!

SammyeGail
08-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much for responding. You made a good point about pricing it the amount I would consider taking. But also, I'd hate to price it at $30 if I could get $35, knim?

A committee chairperson finally called me back. I will be working this sale, all Thur night to help people set their stuff up. A benefit she mentioned about that is that I can see what others are asking for certain things and base my asking price off that. I am going to try that for the carseats.

Since I'm in the twins club and working it, I do get an early pass (4:30 Fri) but DH will have to work late and I am so dissapointed about that. Anything I spot Thur night will probably be gone by the time I get there :(

Again, thanks for responding!!

Samantha

janeybwild
08-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Samantha, when buying clothes remember that they tend to run a bit smaller because of washing/being used, so sizing up on some things is not a bad idea. You can take a tape measure or piece of string to measure pants etc. Good luck!

SammyeGail
08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Thank you so much for mentioning that, it was something I would have never considered. And thank you for responding!!!

Samantha

MelissaTC
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is some info from a thread awhile back that may be helpful-
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=8&topic_id=32348&mesg_id=32348&listing_type=search

Also, I agree in sizing up. I always do because I have noticed that items are generally smaller due to shrinking, etc..

vdrake71
08-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I have been to a couple school and mother of multiple sales. I have learned a lot of things. First, if you can volunteer. This is a great way to get in early and check things out. Also, sometimes that are looking for volunteers to sort through the items after the sale and many people do not want their things back. This is an opportunity to get free items.

When pricing clothes, it matters how much you want to get rid of things. I usually price things double the price of a garage sale price. I also sell twice a year so I use a different color pen each time so if it does not sell the 1st time around, I will lower the price. Some people will place stickers on the price card. I find this helpful because if I find some clothes that I like, I look for the same seller. Also, hang up your clothes. This makes it sell better.

I find that typically toys really sell. Stuffed animials do not. Books also sell. Just make sure that you price things where the sticker will not fall off and also thinks about grouping things (onesies, books).

Things that sell well are typically big ticket items, new items on the market, items still in boxes, cozy coops, etc.

The other thing to find out is how many people are selling and how many people do they expect will be coming to the sale. The mother of multiple sale that I went to is unbelievable. They have over 1000 people throught the door. Even if you price things a little higher, people were buying since they never saw the lower price item. Also, this sale requires people to pay $1 to enter. Everyone has motivation to buy at least one thing.

Another thing. Check to see if they have items going to 1/2 price after a certain time. If they do, you might want to price higher knowing that most likely the item will sell at 1/2 price.

saschalicks
08-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I volunteer, sell and buy and here are a few suggestions:
-Volunteer it's worth it to be able to go early. I tell DH months in advance that he has the kids when I have my volunteer time. It's also a nice way to meet more moms in my city, since I work FT I don't have a lot of mommy friends, other then the ladies here :D
-Price clothing in the $2-$6 range no higher unless it's an outfit. My main goal is to never see it again in my house. Put onesies together.
-Check your clothing carefully for staining the woman who runs ours is very strict about no stained clothing.
-Ours makes the 50% optional, so the items I will do 50% on, I mark double what I would take for it.
-Toys SELL, make sure they work and have batteries in them.
-Strollers, cribs big ticket items sell.
-Ours has a special time for first time mom's (pregnant) and last time it was madness, with a line of 30 minutes just to pay. I worked that day and it was none stop, but the big stuff cleared out quickly.
-Maternity clothes are the worst sellers so price that accordingly.
-Think ahead of items you need. I did this the last time and even wrote it down. I found everything I needed and then went browsing. I wanted to be sure to get the good stuff first. :P

HTH