PDA

View Full Version : Help us plan international plane trip

ShanaMama
08-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi. We are hoping to fly to Israel in October (DD will be 16 mo by then.) It's a 13 hour flight. I just need a whole bunch of help as we've only taken one really short plane trip with DD.
1. Harnessing. We decided not to purchase a seat for DD, although I know it's highly recommended here. no flames please! ;) I have heard mention of some type of harness that attaches the child to parent's seatbelt. Anyone know what that is & pros/cons?
2. Carrier vs. Stroller?? I have an Evenflo monster stroller which I am dreaming of replacing, and a cheapo umbrello stroller (think $10- no canopy, no basket, horrible push, etc.) Although it's bulkier, I think it makes more sense to take the Evenflo stroller because I'll need it in Israel. The junky one will be totally useless there. Also, we're flying at night, so I hope DD will sleep while we check in at the airport. (yeah, right!) I'm actually hoping the airline completely destroy it, so I can finally justify a new expensive one.
I have the Baby Bjorn, but haven't used it in ages. Should I bother taking it along? TRU says it's recommended from birth to age 3, but I would have thought she'd be too heavy & resistant. I wonder if it could be helpful. DD is walking nicely already, which will be easier than traveling with a crawler.
3. Direct vs. non stop? DH & I both prefer non-stop thru the night, because it minimizes jetlag & boredom. But I'm thinking 'baby who won't sleep keeping up the rest of the passengers'! She is generally a pretty good sleeper, but I can't expect her to sleep straight thru the flight on myself or DH!
IF you're still with me, thanks. I'd really appreciate any BTDT advice, or any flying suggestions in general. TIA!

Piglet
08-22-2006, 03:21 PM
We flew to Israel when DS1 was 4 and DS2 was 1 month old!! I'll try to help:

1. Can't help on harnessing, but try to request a seat by asking nicely at check-in. Often times they will give you a free seat if one exists. No guarantees, but it is always worth asking (that goes for ALL flights - domestic or international).

2. DO NOT TAKE A BULKY STROLLER - we learned this the hard way. We made the mistake of taking our freshly purchased for the trip double Maclaren and it did not work in Israel - there are street with no sidewalks, no possible way of getting around because they are adjacent to busy roads and general chaos. We used the Bjorn morning noon and night, but DS was way smaller. I would recommend looking at other carrier options since the Bjorn will hurt with such a big kid and better umbrella stroller options. Check the relevant boards on here for help - these issues have been raised by others travelling in Europe.

3. Definitely non-stop. There will be many cranky kids on board - that's life, LOL. No need to make yourself and your family miserable. Think of the alternative - what if you find yourself with a wonderful sleeping kid and then the you have to get off the plane and wake her up. Go for the shortest flight time possible.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Sillygirl
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
You can't use the harnesses on US flights. We connected in London on our way to Brussels and for that leg of the flight we were required to use the harness British Airways provided. So I would not buy one.

Umbrella stroller, umbrella stroller, umbrella stroller. Security in European airports had a special line for us and lots of help. US security made us hold our baby while we struggled to get our shoes back on and open the stroller with only a grumpy look for holding up the line.

I would do nonstop also. If she cries, she cries.

And I also wouldn't worry about not buying a seat. I know the FAA recommendations. I think they're pretty unrealistic when you're talking $1000 for another seat. I know the AAP recommendations about grocery carts, too, but I'm not hiring a babysitter every time I need to go to the store.

niccig
08-22-2006, 03:30 PM
We've taken DS to Australia. Door-to-door it was 23 hours of travelling time.

A seat or book the plane's basinette, if she'll fit in it. DS slept in the basinette, which was great but then had to be on our laps. Very squirmy child. If you can raise the arm rests, you can put DD there, but she won't be restrained. We now get DS a seat and not just his safety, it's also for our sanity, as when he's sleeping we can get up, eat, read, etc.

The harness you're talking about isn't approved by the FAA, so I don't know if you could use it on the plane, definitely not for take off or landing. Silly, I know, but you may have to hold her for take off/landing, and then you could put her in the Baby Bjorn if she'll go in it. I know some international airlines, have a child's belt that attaches to the parent's. We had to use it during turbulence and take off/landing.

Take your stroller. You'll definitely use it there, and it helps to get through the airport with all the carry-ons.

Try out the Baby Bjorn before you go. If she'll stay in it, take it with. You may need to carry her in the airport, or even up and down the aisle of the plane.

Non-stop. Getting on and off a plane is a PITA with a baby. Yes, it's one long flight for all concerned, but it's just 1 getting on and off. An exception will be if you DD is an energetic child who can't sit still. Then I could see the value in a stop-over so DD could run around and let off some steam.

Look at getting one of the baby backpacks that are a leash. Here's a link to one on ebay, but dont't get it there. You can get them for about $10 at Target or Walmart. There was a lot of talk about this last year on the Around the House Forum. DS loves his and we let him wander around the terminal until it's time for the flight. He gets nice and tired and sleepy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Bauer-Puppy-Harness-Buddy-Backpack-Safety-Leash_W0QQitemZ250020405962QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2041 2QQcmdZViewItem

Consider Benadryl - it make some kids sleepy, but it revs up others so you have to test it out before. Check with your doctor. Ours suggested it for our long flight and he was right.

Make sure you have meds in your bag like pain killers etc. DS was sick coming home from Australia. One very long flight!

Just make sure you've got everything you think you'll need - food, diapers, spare clothes etc. Our carry ons are now for DS only. We get a book each and our wallets.

Have fun, and remember once you're there and having fun you'll forget all about the flight.

Nicci

ShanaMama
08-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, it's reassuring to hear from others who've BTDT.
I just got my Bjorn out of the closet & the weight limit is 33 lbs. DD is only 22, so that is definitely an option. She actually enjoyed going inside, but I can't imagine wearing her for too long! The reason I was planning on the big stroller is for our day trips once we get there. The sidewalks are very bumpy, cracked, or nonexistant, so I thought an umbrella would be too difficult. Maybe I'll look at better umbrellas.
The backpack is a great idea, especially since DD loves wearing things on her shoulders (she has her own hand-me-down purse collection which she wears around the house!)

ShanaMama
08-22-2006, 05:08 PM
As far as seats go, we booked the middle row of 3 seats with DH & I at either aisle. As of now the middle seat is empty, & the travel agent said it would likely stay empty unless the plane absolutely books solid. That would be the best possible scenario.
Thanks for all your other advice.

ShanaMama
08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
I think they're pretty unrealistic when
>you're talking $1000 for another seat.

Um, yeah. DD's life is of course worth more than any $$, but come on. I have actually never seen a child in a car seat on a plane! I guess the general public just can't live up to the AAP. (Although I do agree with the rationale, it's just not practical.)

Kyras mom
08-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Hello!

We just got back from a vacation that involved a 6 1/2 hour flight (San Diego to Boston and back) with our 2.5 yo DD.
1. DVD PLAYER!! We have one with a 6 hour battery. Some planes have the power ports available. So maybe you could buy a second battery for use when one dies, or just plug in. The airlines website may have info re: power plug ins.
2. LOT'S OF FOOD AND DRINK. American Airlines has milk available. I found cereal in a single serving cup thing at Target. Our DD likes mac 'n' cheese cold, so we brought that. Cheese sticks, grapes, goldfish, cookies and raisins worked well also.
3. Coloring books and sticker books were enjoyed somewhat.
4. It sounds like you should forget the stroller and use a carrier. We used a framed backpack carrier when K was smaller. (Deuter brand).
You could use it to keep your DD contained while getting through the airports until you get to the gate, then let her out to burn up some energy.
5. Non-stop is best to reduce travel time. Getting on and off is tiring and difficult with a toddler.
6. Benedryl- controversial, but could be helpful. Ask the ped's advice.
Good Luck!
Karen

cmdunn1972
08-23-2006, 06:25 AM
We considered taking DS with us to Europe, but changed our minds because of airport hassles in Heathrow.

Instead of a Baby Bjorn or bulky stroller, have you considered using a harness buddy ($10 from WalMart) and letting her walk with you?

DS is 16 months old also, and I can't imagine using a Baby Bjorn at his age.

As far as her keeping up other passengers or sleeping on the plane, you know your child's sleeping habits better than anyone else. If you think that an airport would be too much activity for her to sleep, than maybe a daytime flight would be better for you. In that case, it might be good in a way to spend a night in a large hotel somewhere along the way to help with jet lag. (I'd hate for her to be fussy all night from jet lag while in less anonymous quarters.)

As an aside, be sure you are up-to-date on carry-on allowances both to home and to Israel, as well as for any stopovers in-between (if applicable). Since you are flying intenationally, you will be subject to all jurisdictions along the way, and every country's carry-on allowances are different, so contact the airline about what applies and follow the strictest so there are no unpleasant surprises.

ETA: If you're going to try Benedryl, try it before your trip. Antihistamines can cause excitability in children.

maestramommy
08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Shana I'm only going to weigh in on the carrier. First, I'm stunned that the weight limit of the baby bjorn is 33 lbs. I thought it was 18 LOL! That said, I would definitely try it out with your baby (atually she's a toddler right?) for a longish walk before deciding to take it. Many people have found that past a certain weight it gets very uncomfy on the shoulders. For a trip to somewhere where you'd have to carry your dd rather than use the stroller I would think about investing in another carrier, like a meitai, or even an Ergo, where you can put the kid on your back (much comfier!). Maybe you could also get one of those monkey harnesses if your dd likes to walk.

ETA: I just checked the Baby Bjorn website, and all their carriers go up to only 25-26lbs. Of course that is heavier than your dd, but still, you might want to check up on that.

dhano923
08-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Depending what airline you're flying, you get a discounted price for DC's seat. I took DS to Singapore when he was 17 months old, and I got his seat at 40% of the adult price.

Whenever we fly, we always buy DS a seat (haven't flown with DD yet) and always take his car seat. The flight to Singapore is 18 hours (14 to Taipei, then 4 to Singapore) and I can't imagine him sitting on my lap for that long!

I had the carseat on board for him to sit in, gatechecked my Maclaren Triumph stroller, and also used a child harness ("leash") in the airports so he could run around and not go too far. I was traveling alone so it made my life easier. I also took along the Benedryl. We took a night flight, and he slept 14 of the 18 hours.