PDA

View Full Version : Prenatal/Postpartum exercise classes

billysmommy
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I am developing a couple prenatal exercise/body awareness, postpartum exercise and mom/baby classes in the next month or two. I am going to offer the prenatal class in the evenings and the others during the day. If any of you have taken some of these classes, what did you like/dislike about the ones you took? In particular - format, times offered, length of classes, prices, etc. Thanks in advance for any and all input/advice :)

Momof3Labs
08-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I'd love to have a mom/baby class on a Saturday morning for working moms. Evenings are okay, but I'm exhausted and DS2 goes to bed so early. Not all moms are home with their babies during the day, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't want to do something like this with them!

billysmommy
08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I have been thinking about doing the Saturday morning class. I just have to figure out childcare for Billy as DH works Sat mornings. Benjamin will be coming with me to be part of the class but Billy would just be too distracting for everyone. I am also debating between having it start at 9 or 10. It would be either 1 hour or 1.5 hours and incoporate infant massage too.

I am also thinking about doing a pay per month (kind of like tanning packages :) ) Pay so much a month and come to as many classes as you want or for those who can only come on Saturdays - Pay for 10 classes and get 2 free.

I'm really excited to start these, the hard part is getting it all organized :)

billysmommy
08-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Any other ideas? Thanks :)

newnana
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree about the Saturday morning thing, but evenings would be good too as some mom's (like me) work. Could you offer a sitter there so moms could bring kiddos if they arrange that when they sign up for the class so you know number/ages of kids?

Also, advertising is key. I had a tough time finding any classes I could go to. Pediatrician's offices and my doc were some of the few places I went after having DD. That might be one place to start. Good luck!
Michelle

MarisaSF
08-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I did prenatal yoga on both weekdays mid-morning (it was near my office) and on Saturday mornings.
I then did Baby Boot Camp after DD was born on weekdays (my off days) around 11am. I tried mom&baby yoga, but it was so not relaxing. I spent the hour nursing.

The best part, besides the workout, was the opportunity to get to know the other moms. In yoga, we would go around the room before class and tell our names and gestation and talk about any special issues with out bodies at that stage. It was always neat to see what others were going through and to get advice. At Baby Boot Camp, we were encouraged to bring lunches to picnic after class. I would encourage you to make it into more than just a class; I really liked the community we developed and the friendships I made.

pb&j
08-23-2006, 10:42 AM
When I was pg, the only prenatal yoga class was at 10:45 on Tuesday mornings - completely impossible for me, a working mama. It seems most of the mom and baby classes around here are also weekday mornings. Harumph. So yes, evening/weekend times for the working mamas!!

:)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

boolady
08-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I could not agree more with all of the posters who have said that weekend classes would be great for people who work. I have not been through this yet, but have already noticed that at my gym, despite being big and offering tons of classes, only offers pre and postnatal classes on weekdays in the morning. I have already realized that I will only be able to attend the Mommmy 'N Me exercise class for a few weeks before I go back to work. I know that more of the same type of advice is not necessarily what you need, but when I read your post, it was the only thing I could think of.

newnana
08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh I completely agree about the community thing. I did a prenatal yoga class and we spent quite a bit of time before and after class talking about what we were going through, what helps, what doesn't, etc. The instructor included discussion time with discussion topics at the end of every class. That was as good or better than the exercise for me.
Michelle

billysmommy
08-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Thank you everyone for the great ideas and suggestions :)