PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Surviving Motherhood on TLC

overcome
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
...what do you think of it?

megs4413
08-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I've seen it a couple times. I think the other moms can be kinda harsh at times...so I dont' think i would volunteer to be part of a group. i like the expert advice more than the peer mommy advice most of the time.

pb&j
08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
I watched about half of one episode. One of the mothers (not the one in the hot seat) was so smug I couldn't stand it. I also don't have a lot of patience to watch people make questionable parenting decisions and then complain about the repercussions.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img] ([img)

overcome
08-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Thanks for your opinions. I was just curious.

I think some of those moms are complete idiots, but I do like some of them. I just watch it to see what the topic is and what the advice is and think about what I would say if I was there. I'm waiting for one of the topics to be SLEEP!!!

I feel so fortunate to be able to come to these boards for advice and support. It is the best and has made such a difference in my life.

Hugs

nfowife
08-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I like the show. I don't think it's necessarily groundbreaking in it's advice, but I like that it is real moms discussing things they are facing. I also like that they do a personal story each day, giving the viewer a glimpse into how other families live. Sometimes I come away thinking that we have a much better situation/system or I get ideas on how to improve the way we do things in our house. Overall, I think it's definitely better than many other parenting shows I've seen. I usually tivo them and skim them unless it is a topic that is really pertinent to me.

tarynsmum
08-22-2006, 10:01 PM
I watch it. Sometimes I really like the show, and sometimes I really, really hate it. I really like the *concept* of the show, however I'm not always in agreement with what it preaches. The episode that comes to mind is the one about weaning: the kid was I think 15 months? The mom said that her doctor was like "Oh no! You have to stop that!" and yet the expert did not point out the fact that this is incorrect. The overall message of that episode was "wean when one membr of the 'team' is ready", which I think is a good message, but they didn't really relay the benefits of extended breastfeeding. I would have really liked to see or hear from a mom who nursed longer than 18 months during that episode.

So anyway, the point is that, although that one episode really irked me (obviously, since I'm still thinking about it), I overall think it's a good idea. I do like that I can look in on how other parents parent, and I was really happy when they had a gay mom on one week (so at least that's some progress). I'd love to see a mom walking in there wearing her baby, or possibly a discussion on different styles of parenting, and I've yet to see a single dad on there (which I think is only fair, honestly).

I do think that some of the moms on there can be harsh, but I don't think it's terrible. I remember being really irked by one, and didn't watch the show at all that week (I usually TiVo them and watch them all together while I knit).

So yeah, that's what I think, lol (notice I always talk a lot when the topic is T.V., lol. I really don't watch that much T.V., I swear).

DebbieJ
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
I hate the way it's edited, so I stopped watching it. It feels too fake to me.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Moneypenny
08-23-2006, 09:14 AM
I watched it a couple of times, but if I wanted to watch a group of people sit around and complain to each other, I'll just look out my office door at work, LOL!

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]